Wooden Boat Craftsmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
I’ve been watching the Sampson Boat Co on YouTube. They are rebuilding the sailing vessel Tallyho and the craftsmanship these guys display is stunning. This work is being done in Pt Townsend, WA. If you think wood boats are a dying thing you’re not looking in the right spot. Enjoy!

I’ve been watching the Sampson Boat Co on YouTube. They are rebuilding the sailing vessel Tallyho and the craftsmanship these guys display is stunning. This work is being done in Pt Townsend, WA. If you think wood boats are a dying thing you’re not looking in the right spot. Enjoy!

It’s really impressive, isn’t it.

We’ve visited Mystic Seaport several times to see the restorations of the Mayflower II and the Charles W. Morgan. It’s a pleasure to talk to the artisans doing the work and they’ve always enjoyed sharing with us what they are doing.

At this moment I’m at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum spending two days in their shipyard making a Greenland kayak paddle. I’m using the same tools and workshop where they recently built a replica of the Maryland Dove and sharing space with a buyboat they are building. We’re being instructed by a manager of the shipyard, a shipwright and she can tell I’m using the bench plane wrong from thirty feet away. The paddle is a small project but it feels good to be standing ankle deep in wood shavings of my own making.

I've been watching the rebuild of Tally Ho for a year or two now. It's incredible the craftmanship especially in the fitting out stage now. Leo's latest video mentions that he's had to resort to advertisements now since Patreon support is going down even though viewership is increasing. I can't imagine the cost involved for such a project.

James

Sailing magic carpet is good too. Half cruising (sailing) and half boat restoration. Two very talented people, in multiple different ways. One of my favorites is Maya commenting on people giving Aladino crap about his accent (he's Swiss). She reminds them that English isn't his first language, or his second, or his third, or his fourth, but that it's his Fifth language.

Another I am really enjoying is RAN Sailing. They have cruised all over the world (sail boat, again), and are now on land building a boat using modern wood building techniques. It's fascinating to see the process.

I've been following Sampson since pretty much the beginning, back when Leo wasn't too busy to email you back. When he started I thought he was crazy taking on a project like that, but I never doubted he would finish it. I've learned so much from the series, especially how difficult it is to build a wooden boat properly. The craftmanship is simply amazing and to be honest, humbling.

I've followed RAN for a while as well but lost interest when they sold RAN 1 in Mexico a couple years ago and had a kid. RAN 1 is actually in San Diego at a dock near me and looks pretty sad now. Now I'm back interested in them and looking forward to seeing the progress as they build RAN III from scratch. I like their simple and easy to watch video style.

Last edited:
I have also watched Leo from the beginning. TallyHo is a true work of Art. As the project continues to completion I can't help to wonder how Leo will transition from boat builder to World Cruiser! Also how the Life of Tally Ho will continue in the future- How long will Leo own her? Will he consider another project? Great Show!

If I were a younger man I might seek them out. I have forgotten more about wood boats than most craftsman have today.
I have enough sense in my older age to keep my mouth shut so that people do not know that I have the skills to work miracles. I don't need the temptation. I just built two stair cases for my present boat that are already gaining too much attention. Wife cannot use ladders.

Another I am really enjoying is RAN Sailing. They have cruised all over the world (sail boat, again), and are now on land building a boat using modern wood building techniques. It's fascinating to see the process.

We have been watching RAN for years and I do enjoy watching their kid grow up. They really did well scoring the store of wood they found in a barn. I wish they would say WHY the guy selling the wood, had it in the first place..

I have watched Sampson off and of for years but have been watching a bit more recently. The craftsmanship is amazing. They are building a work of art that happens to sail.

Later,
Dan

If I were a younger man I might seek them out. I have forgotten more about wood boats than most craftsman have today.
I have enough sense in my older age to keep my mouth shut so that people do not know that I have the skills to work miracles. I don't need the temptation. I just built two stair cases for my present boat that are already gaining too much attention. Wife cannot use ladders.

Never let on to your neighbors that you have skills. It always ends badly. Keep your mouth shut, or say “ wow, that looks hard…”

Never let on to your neighbors that you have skills. It always ends badly. Keep your mouth shut, or say “ wow, that looks hard…”
Yeah, rule of thumb: When everyone around you is giving advice you are in the clear. When everyone around you is asking for advice, you have stayed too long.

I don't know.... spent most of my adult life helping others in one way or another.... feels pretty good. While I never asked for money, seems I have had a lifetime of dinners picked up or karma returned in one way or another. Probably the one thing I appreciate the most is the respect I get for what I know and have shared.

The real challenge is weeding out the ungrateful from the grateful before you get in too deep. ;)

I don't know.... spent most of my adult life helping others in one way or another.... feels pretty good. While I never asked for money, seems I have had a lifetime of dinners picked up or karma returned in one way or another. Probably the one thing I appreciate the most is the respect I get for what I know and have shared.

The real challenge is weeding out the ungrateful from the grateful before you get in too deep. ;)
How much help do you offer on wood boats? Whole different breed of owners. Most of them shoot the messenger

I've helped a fair number of people with boat projects / problem. I work for free but expect dinner for projects measured in hours. Where they take me or what they make for me speaks volumes about how much they appreciate me, and whether I will be back....

Ted

I've helped a fair number of people with boat projects / problem. I work for free but expect dinner for projects measured in hours. Where they take me or what they make for me speaks volumes about how much they appreciate me, and whether I will be back....

Ted

Same for me.

Watch "Travels with Geordie" on youtube. He has 3 Monk wooden boats that he is working on. Very well done channel.

How much help do you offer on wood boats? Whole different breed of owners. Most of them shoot the messenger

My advice/work with and on wooden boats has decreased immensely with time as have the number of wooden boats.

My familly owned 3 before my college years which I did much of the work on. Plus I worked at the yard they were stored at off and on.

Am I a shipwright? By no means...but many boats through the years had plenty of exterior and interior wood. Many had glass hulls and the rest wood with or without glass covering.

When composite boats came along my work with FRP and cold moulded/strip hulls ballooned for a bit, but they were still rare enough I wasn't asked much for help or advice on them.

So you would say that no...I am not a shipwright, and I don't have an elaborate workshop...but I do know some about their construction and repair methods.

So I advise or help if a wooden boat owner asks.... if they know anything about me.... they respect me and know that I will tell them right away if I am the wrong guy to advise/help.

We’ve visited Mystic Seaport several times to see the restorations of the Mayflower II and the Charles W. Morgan. It’s a pleasure to talk to the artisans doing the work and they’ve always enjoyed sharing with us what they are doing.

At this moment I’m at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum spending two days in their shipyard making a Greenland kayak paddle. I’m using the same tools and workshop where they recently built a replica of the Maryland Dove and sharing space with a buyboat they are building. We’re being instructed by a manager of the shipyard, a shipwright and she can tell I’m using the bench plane wrong from thirty feet away. The paddle is a small project but it feels good to be standing ankle deep in wood shavings of my own making.

Years ago, Chesapeake Maritime did a restoration of the Owl. That was hull #2 of the Alerion daysailer that was Herreshoff's personal boat and the prototype of what grew to become a standard formula for hull shape. It was some years ago, and I'm thinking 20 years. A few years ago I asked them what became of that boat, and where is it now? The person I asked had no memory of it at all. I'd be curious to know if you happen to find out. The original Alerion was in Mystic for a time, but the last time I checked the Mystic boat list online it wasn't there.

I agree. Why not help?

I think what makes the Tally Ho videos stand out is not so much the workmanship but the film-making.

Many of the boat building video series have equally good, top-notch craftsmanship on hand but none that I have seen match Leo's filming skills.

I think what makes the Tally Ho videos stand out is not so much the workmanship but the film-making.

Many of the boat building video series have equally good, top-notch craftsmanship on hand but none that I have seen match Leo's filming skills.

Agreed. Leo's video making is excellent. His choice of music and the videos can be so relaxing to watch sometimes, not to mention educational.

Later,
Dan

I agree. Why not help?
Please don't get me wrong. I have a huge passion for helping others with projects and an even bigger passion for teaching the skills that I have.
If you have a passion for doing the work and a hunger to learn I am willing to bend over backwards to help you even if you lack the proper funds for the job.

As I have gotten older, I have gotten more tired and as a result, my time is more valuable to me personally. I am not really interested in work for hire. Teaching the willing and helping people whom are disabled and close friends is where I generally confine my skills to now. I will also help someone who is broken down miles from decent help.

"If I were a younger man I might seek them out. I have forgotten more about wood boats than most craftsman have today.
I have enough sense in my older age to keep my mouth shut so that people do not know that I have the skills to work miracles. I don't need the temptation. I just built two stair cases for my present boat that are already gaining too much attention. Wife cannot use ladders."

and

"Yeah, rule of thumb: When everyone around you is giving advice you are in the clear. When everyone around you is asking for advice, you have stayed too long."

:oops:

You guys don’t get out much, at least enough to know the health of the wooden boat industry. I’ve spent most of my working life with wooden hulls in fact I left the West coast cause I wasn’t able to get my fill. Built them, repaired them, and finally surveyed them. Landed in New England where plank on frame hulls are as common as donut and pizza shops. A common day for me might include leaving NH sea coast to Kittery and York Maine where Foley boat building is completing a planking job on a 1898 English cutter and Rollins Boat Shop in York is laying the deck on a new lovely 72’ wood schooner ‘ Magnolia ‘ . From here we head to Northend Shipyard in Rockland where a crew is building a new rudder for the schooner ‘Issac Evans’ another crew is shaping a new fir bowsprit for schooner ‘Windameen’ and on the rails the ‘Grace Bailey’ is getting some new planks etc.. It’s Spring so the windjammer fleet is prepping for the season and USCG inspections.

Had we headed South then Glouchester Marine Railway was heavily into a number plank, deck and rigging repairs on the big schooner ‘ Roseway ‘. I ask the company manager Mrs. Viking Gustafson when she expects to launch ‘Roseway’ and as usual she is on top of every stick and fastener. An incredibly smart lady with technical depth and hands on experience. From there we stop at Crockers Boat Yard in Manchester, MA where they are 60-70% thru a lovely custom Downeast style lobster yacht then next door is Manchester Marine where they are fitting a locust horntimber in a Concordia 39. Couple miles down the road to Salem and FJ Dion’s and there are two good size wood hull jobs. A 46’ Bobby Rich design/build with grounding damage and a Aage Nielsen 42’ cutter with a deck and coachroof Dynel and epoxy overlay. I could go on for pages all the way to Canada or the Carolinas there is plenty of wood hull work out there and on the East coast no shortage of good hands. Haven’t even touched on Hodgdon in Boothbay, ME and their gorgeous cold molded mega yachts or Perterson and Marinette in Wisconsin who built the MCM class minesweepers for the USN

When you watch a video like this couple is offering it’s entertaining and informative but the quality of work and pace with which it is accomplished would not cut it in the real world. They can afford to spend four or five days hanging a plank since it’s a presentation, no ? The work appears very good but like all video documentaries most of the dirty or unglamorous elements, mistakes and sense for hours involved are not shown. Kind of reminds me of the cooking shows where they tackle an impressive thirty minute meal. You see it being put together and cooking but you don’t see the hour or more chopping, dicing, grating or blending of the ingredients. Nope just add 1 cup of this 4 cups of that etc etc. it’s all done.

BTW watch out for deer ticks or you’ll pay for years and years

Rick

You guys don’t get out much, at least enough to know the health of the wooden boat industry. I’ve spent most of my working life with wooden hulls in fact I left the West coast cause I wasn’t able to get my fill. Built them, repaired them, and finally surveyed them. Landed in New England where plank on frame hulls are as common as donut and pizza shops. A common day for me might include leaving NH sea coast to Kittery and York Maine where Foley boat building is completing a planking job on a 1898 English cutter and Rollins Boat Shop in York is laying the deck on a new lovely 72’ wood schooner ‘ Magnolia ‘ . From here we head to Northend Shipyard in Rockland where a crew is building a new rudder for the schooner ‘Issac Evans’ another crew is shaping a new fir bowsprit for schooner ‘Windameen’ and on the rails the ‘Grace Bailey’ is getting some new planks etc.. It’s Spring so the windjammer fleet is prepping for the season and USCG inspections.

Had we headed South then Glouchester Marine Railway was heavily into a number plank, deck and rigging repairs on the big schooner ‘ Roseway ‘. I ask the company manager Mrs. Viking Gustafson when she expects to launch ‘Roseway’ and as usual she is on top of every stick and fastener. An incredibly smart lady with technical depth and hands on experience. From there we stop at Crockers Boat Yard in Manchester, MA where they are 60-70% thru a lovely custom Downeast style lobster yacht then next door is Manchester Marine where they are fitting a locust horntimber in a Concordia 39. Couple miles down the road to Salem and FJ Dion’s and there are two good size wood hull jobs. A 46’ Bobby Rich design/build with grounding damage and a Aage Nielsen 42’ cutter with a deck and coachroof Dynel and epoxy overlay. I could go on for pages all the way to Canada or the Carolinas there is plenty of wood hull work out there and on the East coast no shortage of good hands. Haven’t even touched on Hodgdon in Boothbay, ME and their gorgeous cold molded mega yachts or Perterson and Marinette in Wisconsin who built the MCM class minesweepers for the USN

When you watch a video like this couple is offering it’s entertaining and informative but the quality of work and pace with which it is accomplished would not cut it in the real world. They can afford to spend four or five days hanging a plank since it’s a presentation, no ? The work appears very good but like all video documentaries most of the dirty or unglamorous elements, mistakes and sense for hours involved are not shown. Kind of reminds me of the cooking shows where they tackle an impressive thirty minute meal. You see it being put together and cooking but you don’t see the hour or more chopping, dicing, grating or blending of the ingredients. Nope just add 1 cup of this 4 cups of that etc etc. it’s all done.

BTW watch out for deer ticks or you’ll pay for years and years

Rick

I thought Viking retired a few years back? She was a pro

I thought Viking retired a few years back? She was a pro

Viking did retire and so did I sorry for the confusion. I wrote this comment on the world as I recalled before I left NE and retired. Viking was certainly a very qualified woman running a historic serious shipyard. She spent a year or two butting heads with old Italian fisherman but in the end they all thought she was the best. Her Husband was with Boston Fuel and Towing, what a pair.

Rick

Tally Ho is making her way up the Georgia Strait as I write this. Hope to see her with my telescope on my deck and maybe catch up to her this weekend somewhere up north.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240711-132029.png
    Screenshot_20240711-132029.png
    552.5 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom