Yanmar 6lya-stp oil dipstick. Which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
Anyone's yanmar 6lya-stp have two differing dipsticks?
Port side has a long yellow handle dipstick that measures "fuller" or more full than the starboard side short dipstick. After a oil change the long port side stick is reading just over the full mark but the short starboard stick is reading 3/4 full.
Anyone else have this? Which one is right?

I've heard that was done in cases where you had twins and the lower dip stick was more difficult to access, not sure but makes sense.

I've heard that was done in cases where you had twins and the lower dip stick was more difficult to access, not sure but makes sense.
Wondering why they don't read the same.

Have the same "dipstick" discrepancy!
I have easy access to both sides of the engine (it's a single).
I check the stick on whichever side I happen to visit during a bilge crawl. Simply check that the level is "good". Engine does not consume engine oil noticeably. I log 80-100 hours per year and am close to 1000 hours on the clock.

Norlund
Mainship Pilot 34 Hardtop 2016
Midland, Ontario

Are you leaving the dipsticks out for a few minutes before reinserting to check the level? The dipstick on my Yanmar formed a tight seal when inserted in the tube. You had to pull the dipstick for a minute or 3 and let the oil find its level in the tube. Then reinsert, and pull to check the level.

I decided to be a little over on one and under on the other. Unless someone knows better.

Are you leaving the dipsticks out for a few minutes before reinserting to check the level? The dipstick on my Yanmar formed a tight seal when inserted in the tube. You had to pull the dipstick for a minute or 3 and let the oil find its level in the tube. Then reinsert, and pull to check the level.
I check the long one after sitting all night. The oil is settled for sure.

We have the 6LYA-STP in our 2005 MS Pilot 34 and experience the same discrepancy between measurements on the two dip sticks. When we change the oil and put the correct amount of fresh oil in the engine, the longer of the two dipststicks (port) reads full and the short (starboard) dipstick reads very low. I have no explanation but it is always that way. Has nothing to do with back pressure in the dipstick tubes, oil not draining down into the sump before reading, as mentioned above. It is a consistent artifact with this engine. I simply ensure that the correct amount of oil is added and go with that measurement on the long dipstick after oil change as the baseline for future readings.

Hope that helps.
Doug

We have the 6LYA-STP in our 2005 MS Pilot 34 and experience the same discrepancy between measurements on the two dip sticks. When we change the oil and put the correct amount of fresh oil in the engine, the longer of the two dipststicks (port) reads full and the short (starboard) dipstick reads very low. I have no explanation but it is always that way. Has nothing to do with back pressure in the dipstick tubes, oil not draining down into the sump before reading, as mentioned above. It is a consistent artifact with this engine. I simply ensure that the correct amount of oil is added and go with that measurement on the long dipstick after oil change as the baseline for future readings.

Hope that helps.
Doug

That is the way to make sure, drain old oil and put the correct amount of new oil in and check the dipstick. Remark the dipstick if necessary.

Got an email from Yanmar. Here it is.

Hello,

The long dipstick is the accurate read. Later model blocks now have the 2nd*short dipstick hole *plugged. The 2nd*dipstick was a way to gauge and mark a full level if the long dipstick was not easily accessible.

Thank you,

Christy Southwell

Service/Warranty Administrator • Yanmar Mastry Engine Center

Phone:*727-522-9471 ext.*1277*•*Fax:*727-527-7013

5400 118th*Ave N

Clearwater, Fl 33760

I just changed the oil and filter in both my engines. The book says the oil pan takes 17.3 quarts. I have an oil exchanger system that pulls the oil out of the pan at the drain plug. I've never been able to get more than about 12 quarts out and that's with the oil hot and waiting for it to drain down. With the old oil the long dipstick read almost full. I put in 12 quarts and the dipstick reads the same as before. Where is the missing 5 quarts?

I just changed the oil and filter in both my engines. The book says the oil pan takes 17.3 quarts. I have an oil exchanger system that pulls the oil out of the pan at the drain plug. I've never been able to get more than about 12 quarts out and that's with the oil hot and waiting for it to drain down. With the old oil the long dipstick read almost full. I put in 12 quarts and the dipstick reads the same as before. Where is the missing 5 quarts?
Still in there. After I pump out with electric pump I use a hand pump though rhe dipstick and usually get another 2.5 quarts. Also very difficult to measure because I pump old oil back into old 2.5 gallon jugs with no measuring lines.

Also, I've always topped off oil changes via the dipstick. Car, truck or boat. Not lawnmower though.

old oil

Still in there. After I pump out with electric pump I use a hand pump though rhe dipstick and usually get another 2.5 quarts. Also very difficult to measure because I pump old oil back into old 2.5 gallon jugs with no measuring lines.
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

The best way is to replace the oil pan drain plug with a drain valve. With an electric pump you can get all the oil out in a couple of minutes.

I had the Yanmar 4BY2-180 engine in my last boat, and it had the same dual dipstick setup. I was told (I think by a Yanmar rep IIRC) that the short, starboard side dipstick was left over from the BMW automotive block before it was marinized. The short, low dipstick would be hard to reach in some marine applications, so they added the taller port side dipstick when they marinized it. I was told to use the tall port side dipstick and ignore the other one, and it always worked for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom