Zipper Fabric Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We have a lot of strataglass in our upper helm. We have non-metal zippers that connect the separate panels of strataglass. The fabric that the zippers are sewed to need cleaning and I don't want to take the strataglass panels off.

The Strataglass video says not to use harsh chemicals on the strataglass and specifically anything like Simple Green or any detergent.

I was thinking of using something like Dawn and a scrub brush and a shopvac to suck the dirt off.

Does anyone have any tricks concerning cleaning the fabric the zippers are sewed on to and not damaging the strataglass or eisenglass?

Thanks in advance,

JimL

have you tried just lubricating the zippers?

I just cleaned our Sunbrella and had some dark spots on the white zipper fabric. Some dirt and some mildew. I used the Sunbrella formula of 1 cup bleach, 1/4 cup liquid detergent (Tide), and 1 gallon of water. It looked like some of it did not come off, but after sitting in the sun it looks like new. I don't think that mixture would be harmful to your clear plastic.

We have a lot of strataglass in our upper helm. We have non-metal zippers that connect the separate panels of strataglass. The fabric that the zippers are sewed to need cleaning and I don't want to take the strataglass panels off.

The Strataglass video says not to use harsh chemicals on the strataglass and specifically anything like Simple Green or any detergent.

I was thinking of using something like Dawn and a scrub brush and a shopvac to suck the dirt off.

Does anyone have any tricks concerning cleaning the fabric the zippers are sewed on to and not damaging the strataglass or eisenglass?

Thanks in advance,

JimL

I can’t think of anything else to do. A tooth brush to clean in the tight area and a second person using the shop vac so the mess is contained. I use a garden sprayer to squirt water on for something like this, just don’t pump it up too much and you should be able to control the water pretty well. Then after you clean them make sure and lube them as mentioned above.

I just cleaned our Sunbrella and had some dark spots on the white zipper fabric. Some dirt and some mildew. I used the Sunbrella formula of 1 cup bleach, 1/4 cup liquid detergent (Tide), and 1 gallon of water. It looked like some of it did not come off, but after sitting in the sun it looks like new. I don't think that mixture would be harmful to your clear plastic.

I would test it in an inconspicuous place first and make sure. I know you can use bleach on Sunbrella but I am not sure about getting it on the Strataglass. Strataglass is very particular about the products that you use on it. Maybe unnecessarily but who knows for sure. And you really don’t want to have to replace the Strataglass. Maybe do the polish on the Strataglass first to put somewhat of a protective coating on it before you do the cleaning. It is a PITA to do but it does look good when you are done with the polish.

have you tried just lubricating the zippers?

Our installer told us to lubricate the zipper tracks periodically using a a high spf 'lipstick' type sunscreen.
~A

I like Starbrite Zipper and Snap lube. It is too confusing as to which Chapstick goes on my lips and which goes on the zippers.

Thanks all. I'm interested in cleaning the zipper tape. I already use a lube for the zipper teeth.

The strategy of using Dawn, water, a toothbrush and a shop vac had marginal results. I'm looking for a better way.

Thanks - JimL

Thanks all. I'm interested in cleaning the zipper tape. I already use a lube for the zipper teeth.

The strategy of using Dawn, water, a toothbrush and a shop vac had marginal results. I'm looking for a better way.

Thanks - JimL

..and I thought I was anal about cleaning my boat!!

Thanks - JimL

i've heard people say they got good results using a dilution of ivory liquid soap and a toothbrush.
haven't done it personally, but might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom