Liquid Rubber Deck and Dock Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hi all,

I've posted over time in random threads about having used Liquid Rubber Deck Coating, sometimes marketed as Deck and Dock Coating, in Smooth Saddle Brown, for the insets on my flybridge. They are teak, but are (and always were) insets sitting below the top of fiberglass, meaning that they hold water until the whole deck dries and are harder to maintain than wood that extends above the glass. As a result , when I bought the boat they were a case of deferred maintenance that I also deferred for a while.

I eventually pressure washed them, which cleaned them really well and remove the old finishes, and coated them with 4 coats of Liquid Rubber deck and dock coating in smooth saddle brown. The 4 coats were applied in one day, with about an hour in between. I was hoping it would keep it sealed and the wood dry-ish, despite being inset.

I, myself, scrubbed down the boat and flybridge today (mark the date on your calendars. It'll be a national holiday) and took notice of how well it has held up. It pretty much still looks new.

The two attached photos focusing on the deck were taken today, after ~2.5 years. The third showing the bimini is just to show the environment and I dont know when it was taken.

As can be seen, the deck is shaded significantly by the bimini, but is also very exposed.

As a side note, only water, dish soap, and a standard west marine deck brush are used on my boat -- no harsh chemicals.

Attachments

• 20230206_153150.jpg
    20230206_153150.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230206_153204.jpg
    20230206_153204.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230122_075824.jpg
    20230122_075824.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Latest posts