Panama Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow -- the volume stats cited at that link are astounding. I knew it was a huge canal but according to that link, the lakes have been taking in 7 hectometers of water a day (about half the volume of average years), but average consumption or outflow (canal and otherwise) is ten hectometers per day. I had to google that one. A hectometer is a little over 264 MILLION gallons. Yeow. Makes the Erie Canal look like a little scratch in the earth's surface.

What sort of status are you looking for? It’s open and operational, unless something has happened. And there is a whole process for recreational boats to go through.

Not great for recreational vessels if you’re on a schedule.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/panama-canal-transit-long-waiting-times-expected/

The link seems a bit overstated to me.

Unless there is a backlog of commercial small vessels transiting, the large vessels have been cut back a bit but not drastically yet so I would think yachts locking through with the big boys as usual wouldn't be too backed up....but then again I don't know exactly how they are scheduling these days.

The link did say no "yacht only" locking which I didn't even know they did and it sounds like they don't schedule like they used to.

I would use and leave it up to an agent to get me through and let me know what was going on.

I have to ask to the op are you looking to transit on your own or through an agent? If you’re in a rush, get hold of an agent. I’ve been told they can’t expedite transits but…. He’ll tell what is realistic. We’ve transited 4 times on recreational boats and it was always fluid before the drought but you had to be ready. Recreational boats were always filler and it sounds like even more so now.

I went through in 2004. Expedite fee for a 60 footer was $2000 and we were in our way again 36 hours after we arrived Flamenco. Agent fees were around $600. I don't recall the transit fees. Around $1500 but not sure. We hired a line handler with lines and fenders for $160. You can probably close to double those now.

As linked above, Noonsite is the best site for global yachting information

Peter.

Back
Top Bottom