Travels with Weebles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried this ---- same error. But thanks for the suggestion.

I posted this on TheHullTruth to see if there were others using the radio who experienced same issue. A lot of tips to troubleshoot - there's a guy who seems pretty knowledgeable who is certain the issue is antenna frequency. THe instructions for Vesper Cortex M1 supports his contention: "Choose a high quality omni-directional VHF antenna designed for the marine band (156-162MHz) and ensure it is well tuned at the AIS end of the band (VSWR 2:1 or less at 162MHz)."

The install literature for Simrad is similar to Si-Tex: "Connection to a suitable VHF antenna will be required for the AIS Transceiver to operate. A standard marine band VHF antenna such as that used with VHF voice radios will be sufficient."

I'll ship it tomorrow to Simrad so will know in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone - Peter

Keep in mind that if an AIS transmitter must have an AIS antenna, then no antenna splitters would work anywhere. Clearly that’s not the case. An AIS antenna will fine tune things, but it doesn’t account for what you are seeing.

Keep in mind that if an AIS transmitter must have an AIS antenna, then no antenna splitters would work anywhere. Clearly that’s not the case. An AIS antenna will fine tune things, but it doesn’t account for what you are seeing.

I asked the Simrad tech twice about this - and he asked next level engineer. They seemed unphased by the antenna and asked no questions except basic ones about VHF transmit/receive. So I'm inclined to agree with you.

That said, there's a good chance I will never know what the issue was. As mentioned, I purchased this fairly early in the overall production run. Perhaps there was a flaw of some sort. Or there is some sort of short in the internal circuitry. Additionally, there is a giant question mark in the 'thought-bubble' above my head that wonders why Icom and Standard Horizon have not introduced an integrated VHF/AIS unit. The concept makes sense to me.

Although this will more than suffice for my purposes, I wish I knew then what I know now - yes, I have a splitter, but there are 5w units with an integrated splitter so essentially the same form factor with much more power than my 2w unit; and broadcast wifi to boot.

Oh well - on to number next.

Peter

Peter, did you think doing a major refit would give you some time without things breaking, needing fixing, something all the time. LOL

I wish you a safe trip however.

Agree if you receive it can’t be the antenna. Prior posts just wished to point out AIS functioned better with its own antenna.

Generator. I’ll have to dig-out the old TF thread on this, but I had a dead AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator). Northern Lights said mortality rate on these are extremely low and, when I sent pictures of the junction box wiring, they said it had clearly been messed with (true). So they would not warranty the AVR, an $800 item. My Mexico electrician cobbled-together an aftermarket AVR which works fine, but I was still unsure if the NL AVR was actually dead. Thanks to my friend, I now know: It is toast. A replacement OEM/NL AVR is difficult to source so I’ll run the $20 aftermarket for a while. I have come to the conclusion that some work just should not be attempted in a foreign land - basic electrics are fine. Anything Balmar or Victron or LFP are a bridge too far, and least right now.

Peter

At the end of the season last year I had my voltage go up to 16 and stay there. I tested stuff when I got to the dock and found the charger toasted. That was a delivery trip and I had plane reservations to go home, so I borrowed a portable charger and left diagnosis for another day.
That day arrived at the beginning of this season, and led to the VR, a "Next Step" by Ample Power, so not a cheap fix.
My Auto mechanic, who I am liking more and more as I test him with different issues, told me to go to the Auto Parts store for a Dodge VR from the 70s, the one for a 318 V8. I did so and it works! $25 Canadian. With Solar Panels doing the heavy lifting, I no longer need the sophistication of the Next Step.

Back
Top Bottom