50' Ocean Alexander MK1 Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi all,
I just perused the Ocean Alexander builders forum here and didn't find my answer so I thought I would ask it here.
I am looking at a 1979 MK1 and would appreciate any thoughts on maybe some problem spots to look out for? Going to survey the boat next week so I wanted to askl the folks here who own MK1's to see areas to look out for.
Boat has Cat 3308 naturals, 5700 hours, Naiads, thruster, foredeck teak removed and now non-skid. Other decks still teak so I'm going to look closely for leaks and soft decks and will have surveyor do the same (moisture meter),
etc....all look to be in pretty good shape.
Advise from owners would be appreciated!!
Thank you!
Taras

I’ve found out several times, that you have to have a lot of money to own an old boat. I bought a ‘83 mk1, and in that time have replaced a lot.
Check out the fuel tanks well. If they’ve been replaced, that’s a bonus.
They’re great boats.

I bought my Mk 1 in 2012, it is a 1982 model. I agree with Almad, old boats can swallow a lot of money but in this case you get a great layout and a very seaworthy boat. Foredeck sorted, Naiads and thruster done means you are already ahead! Some of the 1979, the early hull numbers, have different layouts and may not have a flybridge. But that is easy to check out and either it works for you or it doesnt.

Side decks and fuel tanks could need to be done. Not overly expensive, but you would need to remove engines to do the tanks. At that point you can decide to do something with the 3208's, or not. Windows seldom an issue, but make sure you clean out the little hole on the outside of the sliding windows.

The previous owner to me chopped out the fuel tanks (steel?) and replaced with fibreglass built in situ. Also, don’t shoot me if I got this wrong, but have heard of Grand Banks cutting the side out of the hull to remove the tanks. Although does sound pretty drastic.

Removing and replacing tanks through the hull sides is done, but I'm not sure how often. The guys who did mine (removed from inside the ER) advised against the it since once the new tanks have been installed you can only glass the outside, and they felt that glassing both sides of a hull repair is necessary.

Last edited:
Another area comes to mind and that is the port holes. We now have stainless as the old plastic ones had seen better days, and were leaking badly, which obviously then can impact on internal finishes.

The OA I'm looking at does have new aluminum tanks, but you bring up a great point in "how" they were installed. If thru the side of the boat, then I'm going to pass on the vessel. Steve D mentioned on a recent post that this is a poor way to install new tanks because the fiberglass is not as strong as original. The way to go is to pull the engines (if necessary) and place them that way. I should be able to tell be looking at the inside of the hull.

Back
Top Bottom