Non-skid Colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serene

Vessel Name
Serene
Vessel Make
Blue Seas 36
Getting close to needing to decide on the colour to be used for the non-skid. I have teak decks, but there is non-skid on top of the forecastle trunk cabin and on the flying bridge deck.

Have been looking at pictures and watching videos paying close attention to colours used on other boats and found an example in the attached pic from a YouTube video which I quite like.

But, what is this colour? Other than showing this pic to the paint guy, how would I describe this colour to give the painter an idea of what I like?

This is on a Krogen Express 52 if that helps.

Here is a link to the video at the timestamp where the deck is visible;

https://youtu.be/CULCxDp2DvM?t=2006

Attachments

• Image 30-11-2023 at 8.08 pm.jpg
    Image 30-11-2023 at 8.08 pm.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 21
Found a pic of the same boat if that helps, rather than a screen-grab from a video. Vessel name is 'Wishingstar'.

Attachments

• Image 30-11-2023 at 8.36 pm.jpg
    Image 30-11-2023 at 8.36 pm.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
Probably depends on the product but Awlgrip is a common marine non-skid. Have attached their colour chart. Possibly Desert Sand which is quite a popular choice.

Attachments

• awlgrip-color-card.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
Probably depends on the product but Awlgrip is a common marine non-skid. Have attached their colour chart. Possibly Desert Sand which is quite a popular choice.

Perfect. Thank you. Will have a look at all of the colours.

I think the best performance-for-cost, particularly if DIY application, is interlux interdeck.

We used to mix their cream and white colors to get something in between but now they have that sand beige color right off the shelf.

I think that may be Awlgrip Moon Dust.

Thanks. Looking at the Awlgrip chart I was thinking Moon Dust or Graystone, which are both similar tones, but Graystone is lighter.

I have Awlgrip that is a very light gray. It does show scuff marks easy, but we are always barefoot, so no marks. It really looks good clean, and doesn't get hot at all.

Looks very nice and professional yacht quality, not like that kiwi stuff. Cleans easy.

I have Awlgrip that is a very light gray. It does show scuff marks easy, but we are always barefoot, so no marks. It really looks good clean, and doesn't get hot at all.

Looks very nice and professional yacht quality, not like that kiwi stuff. Cleans easy.

Yes I have seen the pics on your Blog and it does look good, but we are changing all of the canvas from blue to a light tan colour (Sunbrella Linen) and a lot of the varnished teak is being painted gloss white. Goal is to modernise the look of the boat. Only varnish remaining will be the rubbing strakes, caprail, handrail, doors and flying bridge ladder.

So with the light tan canvas, not sure gray will work.

The boat did have a light cream sort of colour (see attached), which has now been sanded off and I am looking for a more 'modern' colour that complements the teak decks, light tan canvas, some varnished teak and gloss white.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks. Looking at the Awlgrip chart I was thinking Moon Dust or Graystone, which are both similar tones, but Graystone is lighter.

My first thought was colour is MoonDust. That's what I have, foredeck from 10 years ago (still looks the same...)

Attachments

• Foredeck new 1.jpg
    Foredeck new 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 13
Have just locked in Moon Dust with the painter this morning. Thanks for all of the feedback.

It looks even better on the deck than it does in the colour charts, good heat reflection too.

The guys sprinkled micro balloons on mine for non-slip, with a final awlgrip coat spayed over the top. They have held up very well, and are effective. But it ends up kinda like sandpaper, so don't fall or slide on it!

On my boat deck we used a different coating but it was colour matched to MoonDust. The non-slip we used on it was a product made from ground-up tennis balls. Its a lot more coarse, but has a little bit of 'give' and really is excellent.

It looks even better on the deck than it does in the colour charts, good heat reflection too.

[SNIP]

Good to know as the teak on the foredeck does get hot, so hoping this non-skid isn't too bad. And yes they are going to add something to the paint for the non-skid effect. Not sure exactly as I didn't ask, but will do so next time I visit the yard.

The painter did say it will 'stand up' and be quite coarse for a while.

I'm in Southern California. We get some sun here. Years ago I repainted my sailboat and in an effort to give it some additional detail, I had my painter add a tiny bit of grey to the white paint for the non-skid only. The felt difference on my bare feet when stepping between the two, white and super light grey, leads me to say only bright white for barefoot areas will be used on my boats. On hot days I'd jump from the barely less than white to the white area for relief.

I'm in Southern California. We get some sun here. Years ago I repainted my sailboat and in an effort to give it some additional detail, I had my painter add a tiny bit of grey to the white paint for the non-skid only. The felt difference on my bare feet when stepping between the two, white and super light grey, leads me to say only bright white for barefoot areas will be used on my boats. On hot days I'd jump from the barely less than white to the white area for relief.

Agree... not just underfoot but heat buildup inside, anything but white will be a disappointment in the tropics.

Interesting comment, thanks for making it, I’m just about to lay some paint on the deck!

One caution, if you modify the stock color, you may find it impossible to match the color in the future

Agree... not just underfoot but heat buildup inside, anything but white will be a disappointment in the tropics.

Yep.

Here is a link to the start of discussion of deck color and heat, https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/bestevaer-49st-147499-43.html#post2112678.

The color discussion goes on for a few pages and gets into color specifications and solar heat gain. In a cold climate, the heat gain could be a good thing, other places, not so much. :D

Later,
Dan

New non-skid is down and I am happy with the colour, which is Awlgrip Moon Dust.

Attachments

• IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom