Bahamas or Lake O trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monk36

Vessel Name
Dot Calm
We are based in Fort Pierce. Looking to join a group of trawlers heading to Bahamas...(only islands that escaped Dorian)

We travel in a 1998 Monk 36 and cruise at about 8 knots.
(Single engine)

Anyone else interested in putting together a group trip to the Bahamas or across Lake O to the west coast?

Rick

Why only islands that 'escaped' Dorian?

Perhaps I'm misinformed. I have been hearing that our favorite place in the world, The Abacos, are still in very bad shape. Water shortages, fuel shortages, generators only in Hopetown and navigational hazards everywhere from sunken boats.

I have made financial contributions to the Abacos, but I don't want to be a burden on those who are still suffering. We prefer to go somewhere like the Exumas, which apparently were not hurt.

The Dorian hit islands could really use your cash. Here’s a list of some places that are open.

https://littlehousebytheferry.com/a-visitors-guide-to-abaco/

I brought my boat back from Green Turtle about a month after Dorian and didn’t encounter any obstacles in the water. Docked at empty Old Bahama Bay in West End before crossing the GS, and it was clear and in perfect shape. So, I wouldn’t be afraid of lots of debris in the water. Marsh Harbour might be a different story however.

Last edited:
The Dorian hit islands could really use your cash. Here’s a list of some places that are open.

https://littlehousebytheferry.com/a-visitors-guide-to-abaco/

I brought my boat back from Green Turtle about a month after Dorian and didn’t encounter any obstacles in the water. Docked at empty Old Bahama Bay in West End before crossing the GS, and it was clear and in perfect shape. So, I wouldn’t be afraid of lots of debris in the water. Marsh Harbour might be a different story however.

Ditto this. As a 30+ year second homeowner and "adopted local," please don't completely write off Abaco this season IF you are coming by boat. My guess is that you can get a discount on moorage. The water still has some obstacles, but not anything that hinders regular day-to-day navigation.

The locals there could use your tourist dollars, the water and scenery is still beautiful (vegetation is starting to come back) and there are multiple restaurants open.

The big grocery store in Marsh Harbour is open, (but not much else there). All power generation is still be generator, so make sure your genny is in good working order. Fuel is readily available, but still as expensive as it was before.

NOTE: unfortunately, cruisers are probably the ONLY tourists Abaco is likely to see much of this season. There are basically NO houses to rent right now, and what few there are come with "instructions" (Daily generator use and maintainance).

All the more reason to encourage cruisers to spend some time there this year.

Monk36, timely post. We are researching this right now and were actually planning on being in the Bahamas about now. Instead, we are in the keys and slowly working our way northeast, looking for the day and destination to cross over. We are anchored off Islamorada right now.

Like you, we were planning on staying out of the Abacos, but I am 2nd guessing that now. The comments on this thread from those who know the area help, so keep them coming guys. I know they could use the business, and I think there may be plenty open at this point to make it a very enjoyable trip. This will be our first time taking a boat over, so we are still researching it.
Going to West End, then the Abacos, seems promising to me, but we are still researching and learning. Going to Bimimi and then parts south was the original plan and may still win out.

Abaco Inn (Hope Town) today for lunch

Attachments

• EF1B700C-C542-4B10-ABBB-50D0C223D592.jpg
    EF1B700C-C542-4B10-ABBB-50D0C223D592.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 643AB3B0-7536-4F61-9153-1170725B6D02.jpg
    643AB3B0-7536-4F61-9153-1170725B6D02.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 39
woverend, tell us more. What are you seeing first hand there? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom