Broken T6.354 Range 4 Oil Dip Stick - HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
Anybody know where I can buy one? Mine is broken off just below the max full line.

If you don't I will get a piece of steel welded on to match my other engines dip stick.

Thanks

Have you tried Transatlantic Diesels? They're the US parts source for Perkins. tadiesels.com. Making a new one would be pretty easy though.

You could probably go to Napa or Autozone with the good one and buy a generic replacement close to it in size then cut and mark accordingly.

The question regarding the broken piece is by far your most important issue. If you have it great, just go buy another dip stick. If it is in the oil pan you need to retrieve it before your pump sucks it up and restricts oil flow at best, and creates oil born debris at worst.

Anybody know where I can buy one? Mine is broken off just below the max full line.

If you don't I will get a piece of steel welded on to match my other engines dip stick.

Thanks
You should have a dipstick on both sides but you could probably get one from a Massey Ferguson dealer. That engine was used in their tractors and combines for years.

Thanks for your input.

The end of the dipstick is about 3/4" long x 1/4" wide x 1/16" thick. I think there is a screen on the oil pick-up line in the oil sump. I would hope that would catch the metal. Wouldn't the oil pump be after the oil filter? My filter is up-side down, so it drains back into the sump when the engine isn't running.

I don't have a clue how to find and retrieve the metal. Might as well rebuild the lower end if I am going to pull the oil pan.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Glue a magnet to the bottom of your oil pan ( which is aluminum I believe). The broken part will be attracted to the magnet and stay there.
However the screen on oil pump pickup will prevent it from further travel.

Thanks for the re-assurance. My diesel mechanic did not seem too concerned about the small part, likely residing in the oil sump, though he stated it was not a "good" thing. So, I did not panic when I discovered the missing part.

I am going to completely clean that engine and associated bilge, under the engine, today and tomorrow. That should afford me the opportunity to glue a magnet to bottom of the sump. I will verify that it is aluminum first, or that idea will be of little value.

Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom