Buying Anchor Chain in SEQ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serene

Vessel Name
Serene
Vessel Make
Blue Seas 36
Where is the best place to buy galvanised anchor chain in SEQ?

I have a 25kg Rocna anchor and only 8mm chain and want to upgrade to 10mm. Will keep the 8mm for a secondary anchor setup.

Looking for around 100m or whatever the single lengths come in...I think 110m?

Had no idea what an "SEQ" was, until I saw the name of your city and figured that Aussieland was the only place on earth with such colorful names. BTW, was only there for one week in Brisbane and absolutely loved it.

SEQ = South East Queensland.

Didn't think I would need to explain given I posted int he 'down under' forum! :D

Well, a simple enough question but it gets complicated. Typically you will find the chain is Grade L. Its galvanised lifting chain spec. Its OK except that the galvanising is relatively thin, and you find you have rusty chain all too soon. Having said that you could expect 3-4 years life if you anchor a fair bit. Provided you don't paint it for depth markers etc then you can later get it hot dip galvanised to increase life.

My last chain was 10mm CMP, a 110m drum, sourced from Marine Trade Supplies. Originally I ordered 8mm G43 chain from them. But on the way down for haulout my old Ideal windlass wasn't working properly after several efforts to fix it. So I decided to replace it with a Muir windlass that had a 10mm gypsy. I went with 10mm grade L - from memory it was rated about the same as 8mm G43. I'm due for new chain and will most likely order from Muirs at Coomera prior to next haulout. They can supply longer lengths from their large (200 litre) drums.

Given that you currently have 8mm chain, and thus an 8mm gypsy, you might want to consider 8mm G43 to avoid having to source a new gypsy. I don't know how well the galvanising on it will hold up, and if you need to get it hot dipped in due course you will lose some of its strength, I believe about 10%.

You could also buy from Serafini Chains. They are a local manufacturer (Bowen Hills, Brisbane) so you can get whatever length you want. I've not discussed thicker galvanising with them, but it might be possible. Let me know what they say if you discuss that with them!

Last edited:
Well, a simple enough question but it gets complicated. Typically you will find the chain is Grade L. Its galvanised lifting chain spec. Its OK except that the galvanising is relatively thin, and you find you have rusty chain all too soon. Having said that you could expect 3-4 years life if you anchor a fair bit. Provided you don't paint it for depth markers etc then you can later get it hot dip galvanised to increase life.

My last chain was 10mm CMP, a 110m drum, sourced from Marine Trade Supplies. Originally I ordered 8mm G43 chain from them. But on the way down for haulout my old Ideal windlass wasn't working properly after several efforts to fix it. So I decided to replace it with a Muir windlass that had a 10mm gypsy. I went with 10mm grade L - from memory it was rated about the same as 8mm G43. I'm due for new chain and will most likely order from Muirs at Coomera prior to next haulout. They can supply longer lengths from their large (200 litre) drums.

Given that you currently have 8mm chain, and thus an 8mm gypsy, you might want to consider 8mm G43 to avoid having to source a new gypsy. I don't know how well the galvanising on it will hold up, and if you need to get it hot dipped in due course you will lose some of its strength, I believe about 10%.

You could also buy from Serafini Chains. They are a local manufacturer (Bowen Hills, Brisbane) so you can get whatever length you want. I've not discussed thicker galvanising with them, but it might be possible. Let me know what they say if you discuss that with them!

Making sure the chain links fit perfectly around the Gypsy is a key issue to sort out prior to lugging chain on and off the boat, so many get caught out with the chain slightly the wrong measurement.
Ive heard Lanox sprayed onto your chain pile in the locker helps preserve the chain and also makes it slippery enough to not pile up. I had great success over many years preserving mild steel boat trailer springs being submerged in salt water, a good spray prior to the season, and one at the end of the season.

Had no idea what an "SEQ" was, until I saw the name of your city and figured that Aussieland was the only place on earth with such colourful names. BTW, was only there for one week in Brisbane and absolutely loved it.

You guys also have your share of colourful names also :) especially on the east coast, making ours pale to insignificance :D

Didn't think I would need to explain given I posted int he 'down under' forum! :D

I didn’t pick up on that either. Usually best to be as specific as possible. I try to think what someone who doesn’t have a clue would think and then try to say it so they might understand.

Didn't think I would need to explain given I posted in the 'down under' forum! :D

Some celebrity is credited with the saying..."you can't assume a damned thing in this world these days." :D

It`s FNQ* where things get really strange. That be Katter** country.
*Far North Queensland
** FNQ political family giving rise to the expression "Mad as a Katter"(pun on Mad "Hatter from Alice in Wonderland).

Thanks for all the good info Brian. Much appreciated. I have a near-new Muir anchor windlass, so was expecting to change the gypsy, which won't be a big job. I have the manual so know how to do it, but didn't realise Muir also sold chain. May need to have a chat with them.

If I was to stick with 8mm then I wouldn't change the chain as there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to upgrade to 10mm for the peace of mind. Yes I know I am opening a can of worms with that statement, but I am not worried about the weight in the bow of the boat and always work off the assumption that I would prefer to be on the higher end of the recommended sizing with ground tackle.

Just something to remember is that a lot of us don’t really look at the section to see a post. I rarely do.

Hi Check out Ropes Chains and anchors in NZ. Have spoken but not purchased from them yet. They seem to have more options for chain especially 8mm high strength which may suit you. they also have different finishes on the chain - one which is getting closer to stainless in appearance if that is of value to you.
Bernard - Hanging out in the Myall Lakes area.

Hi Check out Ropes Chains and anchors in NZ. Have spoken but not purchased from them yet. They seem to have more options for chain especially 8mm high strength which may suit you. they also have different finishes on the chain - one which is getting closer to stainless in appearance if that is of value to you.
Bernard - Hanging out in the Myall Lakes area.

Thanks for the tip, but would be concerned about shipping costs for that amount of bulk/weight.

Whitworths sell CMP. It`s not cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom