POR on anchor chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

We inherited 120 feet of rusty 3/8" anchor chain.
Have wire-brushed and inspected its entire length and appears solid but for superficial surface rust.
QUESTION: does painting said chain with POR paint make sense to clean-up its appearance and reduce rust powder in the chain locker?
Will the paint last thru mutliple up/down cycles thru the windlass?
Has anyone ever done this?
Please advise
Thank you

We inherited 120 feet of rusty 3/8" anchor chain.
Have wire-brushed and inspected its entire length and appears solid but for superficial surface rust.
QUESTION: does painting said chain with POR paint make sense to clean-up its appearance and reduce rust powder in the chain locker?
Will the paint last thru mutliple up/down cycles thru the windlass?
Has anyone ever done this?
Please advise
Thank you

There are places that will regalvanize chain.

In you plan to anchor, especially in salt or brackish water, paint on chain as a rust inhibiter is almost pointless.

Ted

I found a place that would re-galvanize my rusty chain. They warned that some of the links would stick together with the new galvanizing, but the real deterrent was their price, once you include the cost of removing the rust.
Almost exactly the same as buying new chain, so that was what I did.

There are places that will regalvanize chain.

In you plan to anchor, especially in salt or brackish water, paint on chain as a rust inhibiter is almost pointless.

Ted

To Mac G: Ted's response is right on the nose. ANY paint (POR or otherwise) on an anchor chain, particularly intended as a rust inhibitor, is simply a waste of time and money. Regalvanizing is sometimes a cost-effective alternative, but the least problematic cure for rusty anchor chain is replacement with new.

Given the many advantages inherent in stainless steel chain (rust resistance and mud-shedding ability due to its smooth surface, for instance) it's my personal favorite for anchor chain.

Regards,

Pete

I found a place that would re-galvanize my rusty chain. They warned that some of the links would stick together with the new galvanizing, but the real deterrent was their price, once you include the cost of removing the rust.
Almost exactly the same as buying new chain, so that was what I did.

Most places charge by the pound and have a minimum. 8 years ago when I did it, my main rode (350') and my Bruce anchor was over the minimum. This was a high production facility where prep was part of the price. Yes there were links that needed to be broken apart. Not difficult once you figured out the technique of lifting a section of the chain and letting it fall to a concrete floor.

For me, it would have to be less than half the price of new chain.

To the OP, if I do it again and was short of the minimum, I would round up a friend or 2 that needed their's done.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom