Diesel boost pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liambennett

Veteran Member
Hi all,
I’m currently re designing the fuel system on my boat.
The engine is a Cummins VT555m
There are 2 wing tanks that will be fed to the engine via a vetus 2 filter / water separator.
I was thinking of installing an inline 12v boost pump in parallel prior to the filter. Which can be isolated.
Any recommendations as to what spec pump I should use ?

An outboard squeeze bulb is pretty fail safe, it will still work in event of electrical failure.

I have inline 12v pumps that are used to prime or fill filters and could be used as an emergency pump. If the electric pump has the same flow rating or better, it can be inline. Pump valves act as check valves only allowing flow towards the engine. My lift pumps easily pull thru the electric pumps and the electric pumps will push thru the lift pump.
I bought mine on ebay. Nothing special.

After many years and $$$'s spent trying to resolve air leaks in my fuel lines/filters (that would lead to engine RPM issues under way), I eventually ended up installing some 12v Facit solid state pumps as you propose. Have never had a fuel problem since. It probably just resolves the symptom and not the cause but I'm fine with that. 20230823_171035.jpg20230823_171052.jpg

I did a fuel polishing circuit on a friend's boat with a Facet pump that works extremely well. It's a simple reliable design with no moving parts other than the plunger. They have different models with flow rates up to 50 GPH. The same design is what's on my Onan generator.

Ted

I have a V555M, no turbo. Are you aware of how much fuel these PT systems move?

They can pump up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 or so Litres per hour.

Of course the final figure moved depends upon how you run the engine.

The fuel is actively used to cool the injectors and the heads. THe tanks do warm up.

No comments about your ideas past that question.

I have found many people do not understand the volume of fuel pumped through the system.

Back
Top Bottom