Fly bridge enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptKevin

As I am working through purchasing a 2018-2021 38E, i have noticed a wide variation in flybridge tops and enclosures. Since I will be using the boat in the PNW and possibly up to Alaska one of these years was wondering what people have installed for enclosures. I am leaning to having a full enclosure with panels that can be removed depending on the weather and possibly to reduce wind effects when docking. Appreciate input and maybe an idea of costs to add to the standard Bimini top. Thanks all.

Enclosure are a custom thing. Like a car, the more features the more they cost.

I have always had my enclosure made out of Sunbrella. Sunbrella is not the only option but it is certainly one of the better materials.

When it comes to thread, Tenara is considered the best but it is expensive. I have had good luck with polyester thread but it tends to be the week link in my enclosure’s longevity but not by enough that it mattered.

I use only coated polycarbonate for windows that I look through to drive. Makrolon is my specific favorite. Makrolon is not cheap but it’s like looking through glass and it has long life.

You will hear things like stratoglass and isenglass. Don’t buy into these names. There are only 3 basic products. Vinyl, acrylic and polycarbonate. Non UV coated polycarbonate often referred to as lexan will tun yellow in three years. However, a UV coated polycarbonate will last a long time (I.e. Makrolon). Vinyl is cheap, not crystal clear, ages better when UV coated, is the most flexible. I use it for side curtains and doors that get rolled up. I use the UV coated vinyl under the name Strataglass.

Then there is acrylic. Clearest of all, least flexible fairly inexpensive. In my book not for enclosure use. However, there are some new developments in this area. Acrylic might become the new go to material. I want to see some more proof before I buy into acrylic.

Again, don’t buy into the hype of fancy names. Make sure you know exactly what the product is. Brand names like Tuffglass mean nothing is it vinyl, acrylic or polycarbonate. Is it UV coated or not?

I used to use Sunbrella for all the canvas work but it is a woven product so it can trap dirt and be more difficult to keep clean. On our current boat I used Stamoid. I use the back coated version since it is a bit heavier. It is truly waterproof not water resistant like Sunbrella. It is easier to keep cleam since it is smooth. As to thread I only use Tenara thread. It will last the life of the fabric as compared to a poly thread that may need restitching in as little as 3 or 4 years. As to cost, it depends on what you want done. The sky is the limit.

I am leaning to having a full enclosure with panels that can be removed depending on the weather and possibly to reduce wind effects when docking.

We've never actually removed enclosure panels due to weather. Actually dismounting/remounting is a PITA. OTOH, some opening "windows" -- either roll-up or pin-up -- inside the main panels can work a bit easier.

We prefer a hardtop, with enclosure made from Sunbrella, with Tenera thread, with Makrolon (now Tuffak) panels for those where visibility is critical, vinyl OK for most other panels. Coil zippers for roll-up "smileys."

-Chris

The enclosure you see on my boat was about $15K ten years ago done by the PO. It was made by Breezy in Seattle, very good quality, probably the best I've seen. My guess now is just a bit south of $20K for the whole thing. Font three panels are Rainier bonded which are 0.080" on the sides and 0.125" in the middle. 1.25" diameter stainless support tubing. I'm in the process of replacing the glass panels now and the three side panels on both sides have been rebuilt, luckily I have a friend in the canvas business down here in SD, but it's still a pretty pricey ventrure.

Back
Top Bottom