Following seas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingBuffalo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Lady J
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Have any of you Bluewater owners had it out on the open ocean? If so, how does it do if following seas, and more broadly, how does it do in general, specifically in big seas?

Last edited:
If you are talking about this boat, I would be hesitant to take it out in anything but the mildest of conditions. Instead I would use its speed to skidaddle from port to port between weather systems. 7308612_20191212111009122_1_LARGE.jpeg

Depends on how big the following seas and big waves are. IMO the rudders are too small for good control. 40' is a little small for big waves in the North Pacific. If you're going to move between safe harbors in good weather, then it's ok.

If you're cruising Puget Sound, then it's fine.

Different boat. It’s a Pilothouse. Looks like a KK 42
1W1sI1HphtSZ6U2VieHnlJeQA4clAdIfHK4SPigIJASgt00B0lP1WBgYMDhRuLYACMZGUbu6M9ffaq-IcMrq1Mz8duh9FgcW-3r50Krv

Last edited:
we have other members here with same boat
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• bluewater.jpg
    bluewater.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 164
Sandpiper is a Bluewater 40 with a single Lehman 120.

In big seas, we prefer to go with instead of against. The Bluewater tracks relatively straight and will let the autopilot keep course with following seas. Cruising speed can be maintained and the ride is relatively comfortable.

Bluewaters with singles have a large rudder which is effective in following seas. They have a long deep keel and minimal transom below the waterline so it does'nt get pushed around by seas easily.

I'm not sure how a twin screw Bluewater would behave in following seas.

Going against seas is not as comfortable but not any worse than other full displacement hulls. We tack so we can quarter the seas.

Seas on the beam is very rolly due to the lack of chines so we tack.

The previous owner moored Sandpiper in Newport Beach, California and cruised up the coast to the Broughtons and Alaska annually for 14 years. When we purchased Sandpiper, there was a barrel chair bolted to the floor in the back of the salon equipped with a seat belt. PO said his wife strapped herself down in really big seas! The helm chair had the capability of being solidly attached to the floor with a removable turnbuckle.

Sandpiper was equipped with paravanes when purchased. I took them off in order to fit the boat into the boathouse.

Last edited:
If you are talking about this boat, I would be hesitant to take it out in anything but the mildest of conditions. Instead I would use its speed to skidaddle from port to port between weather systems. View attachment 107691

I spent some time on one of these when new. It was quite few steps up from a houseboat but far from bluewater or rough seas. Definitely not a cruiser for distances as mentioned. With no walkway around the sides, it was a nightmare to wash. Was a great boat for large cocktail parties.

Yes that’s the boat, Hollywood. I tried to post a pic but I failed.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 30
Both of mine together are probably a little bigger than your one. Should do about the same as yours then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom