Heavy duty track/car for overhead lifting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
My current dinghy launch setup works ok but has one weak point that I worry about both from a safety and usability perspective, especially as I get older. The tender launches via the boom on the main mast and uses a track and car with a hoist mounted on the end of the boom to extend the tender over the side, a main hoist located at the base of the mast lifts the tender. I have confidence in the boom and rigging, as I also do with the warn hoists. The question I have is around the car and track. Does anyone know of a much heavier duty solution? I don’t think the harken was designed for the way the load hits the car and is not smooth. The catch is the track itself needs to be somewhat low profile to clear the pilothouse.

For any sailors out there the track is 32mm, I know that car is rated for much more than the tender (4500lb) but the way the load is hitting it is chewing up bearings and makes me uncomfortable. One option would be to double up two high load cars or move to the 42mm but the track mounting holes have different spacing so that’s no easy task. Also that’s an old picture, blocks have been upgraded.

Pictures attached for context, any advice or potential products/solutions I may not be considering would be greatly appreciated. I’m also looking at having a dedicated davit installed but hate the idea of screwing up the lines of the boat so want to exhaust this avenue first.
Needs to handle a swl of at least 1000lb plus I’d love a large safety factor in there.

Thanks much
AC

Attachments

• IMG_7669.jpg
    IMG_7669.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
That car should be performing far better, as you mentioned you are far below the working limit. Typically, ball bearing cars are rough when dirt or salt has built up in the track and bearings, yours appears clean but may have a salt build up. I would wash everything with soap and water, allow to dry and then use a McLube or similar spray, dry lubricant to keep the ball bearings moving correctly. If that doesn't provide a nice smooth operation, a rebuild kit with new ball bearings for about $110 should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Probably the easiest way is to make a line ring that goes around the boom and through the eye of the lower block. This would not have any tension on it during normal use but would be an insurance policy in case of a fracture of the car or track.

I think I tend to agree that loading the car from that axis, and then traveling with it is not the intended loading scheme for the car.
What you really want is a linear bearing. Many different types of those available.
It will require new mounting holes on the boom unless you get extremely lucky.

That ronstand is exactly what I was picturing, more similar to industrial hoist trolleys. I’ll have to go look how much clearance I have, the I track looks about .75” higher than the current T track. Lower weight limit but still way above the tender. It looks like the tracks just might have the same 100mm hole pattern which would be amazingly lucky.
The other option would be to join two harken cars together to reduce the tilt forces on the bearings.

Call Garhauer in Upland, CA. Family business that will almost custom design (well they did in the past for me) a system based on your requirements and will drill track holes to match...at a price much less than Harken. Like Harken, but love Garhauer.

I second the enthusiasm for Garhauer but your current traveller probably just
needs to be restored to 100%. My only caution regarding your setup is loading
on the unsupported center of the boom if you ever position the weight there.

As far as upgrading to a wider track, you may be able to source the track undrilled.
Track can be fabricated from a base piece and the top rail (in your case the bottom).

My own traveller from Garhauer is about 38mm wide and about 35mm tall but has
bearings in both the vertical and horizontal axes and is massively strong. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Good call on the boom, I’ve had a few yards tell me it will be fine but one to watch. The po replaced it with a much heavier duty boom when he put this system in.
As far as the current traveller its been restored twice so something isn’t working, my hypothesis is that the traveler tilts causing all the weight to land on just a few bearings which deforms them over time.

Good call on the boom, I’ve had a few yards tell me it will be fine but one to watch. The po replaced it with a much heavier duty boom when he put this system in.
As far as the current traveller its been restored twice so something isn’t working, my hypothesis is that the traveler tilts causing all the weight to land on just a few bearings which deforms them over time.

When I designed the traveller on my last boat, a 52 ft motorsailer sloop (which
never had a traveller before), I visited the Garhauer factory and had them curve
their track to fit my needs. I still have the whole setup.
If you can use the car or just want to examine it I'd be happy to mail it to you. :)

(BTW, I lusted after your boat when it was on the market but I wasn't ready yet!)

Last edited:
their track to fit my needs. I still have the whole setup.
If you can use the car or just want to examine it I'd be happy to mail it to you. :)

That would be awesome, mind taking a few picts first to make sure it’s worth your time to ship?

Another idea might be to mount a track on the top of the boom that could also replace the current slot trolley that is used to bring out the main sail, a stainless loop could then be made that went to the bottom of the boom from the car. That would keep the force downward on the car however I’m pretty sure those cars are designed for pulling force not compression.

That would be awesome, mind taking a few picts first to make sure it’s worth your time to ship?

Another idea might be to mount a track on the top of the boom that could also replace the current slot trolley that is used to bring out the main sail, a stainless loop could then be made that went to the bottom of the boom from the car. That would keep the force downward on the car however I’m pretty sure those cars are designed for pulling force not compression.
Check back here in an hour or three...

I'd stick with the existing Harken track and car(s). There are several competing products, but the Harken gear is as good as any IMO.

It looks from your picture as though the load may not be centered on the car. I'd suggest replacing the car with one that has the traveller controls built in that supports the dinghy load from the single center point. Something like this

https://www.harken.com/en/shop/32-mm-big-boat/32-mm-car-forged-shackle-41/

There are also double car arrangements for higher load applications, but a single car should work fine if properly configured.

ETA: looking more carefully at your arrangement it looks like this car is more appropriate

https://www.harken.com/en/shop/furling-mainsail-outhaul-systems/32-mm-cb-outhaul-car/

Last edited:
It’s a good point that the side force on the traveller being higher up causes it to tilt a bit and likely puts the pressure on just a few bearings. I like the double car idea as well.

Here:
Sorry the images are in that format. Let me know if you are unable to open them.

Attachments

• Garhauer1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • Garhauer2.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
It’s a good point that the side force on the traveller being higher up causes it to tilt a bit and likely puts the pressure on just a few bearings. I like the double car idea as well.

Consult with a good sailboat rigger. They can work with what you've got, and choose the right car for the application.

As a racing sailor all my life, and every time I comment on this site I am dismissed and denigrated, but honestly…………call the folks at Harken. Tell them your concerns. We raced 73 foot ocean racers and dinghy’s………….never was any question too small. You will never get what you want here.

Sorry to be honest once again. I know I will once again be completely dismissed.

I'd stick with the existing Harken track and car(s). There are several competing products, but the Harken gear is as good as any IMO.

There are also double car arrangements for higher load applications, but a single car should work fine if properly configured.

Agreed. And, by the way, if you need to replace the ball bearings, McMaster stocks exactly the same balls -- material and size -- for much less money than Harken.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom