Hydraulic Anchor winch versus windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4dfishing

Thinking of switching from windlass to a hydraulic system. I have a thompson drum, that I picked up with chain and line, that I would like to use instead of the windlass. The Thompson would have considerably more power than the windlass I currently have to pull up the anchor. Tides are a bit rough in Alaska and the extra pulling power is needed sometimes. Now on to the question. Can I use an electric motor/hydraulic pump to operate the drum or should I install a pump off the motor and plumb lines to the drum?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_113821_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216_113821_Facebook.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
Walk down to the docks and ask the same question of a commercial skipper with a hydraulic set up on the foredeck. There are some very nice hydraulic setups in K

A well installed hydrualic anchor winch is a beautiful thing. But you have a lot of things to consider.

Starting with the structure of the boat. The power of the winch needs to be transferred to deck and hull. Can your boat support that? That question must be resolved before moving forward.

Next you have to power the pump.

Electric / hydraulic power pack. Do you have the room? Is your gen powerful enough? There are lots of them out there. A good hydraulic shop will be able to advise you in what you need.

Main engine? What about pump speed. Don't get yourself into a position where you need to run the main at high RPM to pull the anchor. Now you don't have the ability to maneuver as you pull the anchor. Do you want this pump running continously? Or do you want a clutch? Does your main have a PTO drive? Or will the pump be belt driven? Do you have room? Where does the hydrualic tank go? You're going to need one.

Gen set? The speed of diesel to pump is easier to solve. The other problems with the main remain.

Without knowing anyting about your boat I'd be looking at the power pack solution. Do consider that if you take power directly off the gen or use a power pack you need to have the gen running anytime you anchor.

Installing a hydraulic system only to power a small windlass or winch seems like an overkill. How about just converting your captive reel to an electric motor instead? I bet that would be easier.

I have a 41' Cheermen Trawler with 2 perkins diesel engines. I have a buddy that has an anchor winch that is run off of a pump from his motor(similar boat as mine), but I have seen smaller boats with package winches. Small electric pumps driving a drum. They look handy with less maintenance than installing a pump on the motor and routing many feet of hydraulic line from motor to the bow. I currently have a windlass with all chain in the locker. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't maintain the chain. So it is a total loss(chain). I would like to switch to anchor rope/chain and a drum seems like an easier setup for the dual system. I am looking at swapping battery system to lithium with some solar panels so I don't think power will be an issue. I also have a 10Kw generator for additional power. I am new to boating so all the comments here are appreciated, thanks ?.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_081905_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_081905_Messages.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom