Identify 80s Volvo Penta 4 cylinder engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dconn

Hi,

I have an unusual boat (small 24' flybridge - Sea Jewel Command 24) with a Volvo Penta 4 cylinder diesel engine. I think the boat, and the engine, might be around 1986 (just going on only a couple of similar boats I've found on the Internet) - the others had Volvo Penta gas/petrol engines but my one has a diesel engine.

I can't find any plate on the engine - there are two yellow stickers in poor condition but they don't seem to have any identifying details for the engine.

I've been searching online to try to find the engine but can't find a picture of one that looks the same (to me, looking at pictures of Volvo Penta engines the air box and turbo looks like a TMD40 but that's 6 cylinder engine)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can identify the engine from the photos.

Derek

volvo_engine_1.jpg

volvo_engine_2.jpg

volvo_engine_3.jpg

volvo_engine_4.jpg

volvo_engine_5.jpg

volvo_engine_6.jpg

A TMD30 maybe? From what I can find in pictures it's a close match, and the TMD30 is a 4 cylinder.

You are right! Thanks very much. Actually looking at the TMD30 and TAMD30 I can see the exhaust manifold is very big so I think that's the aftercooler and it's a TAMD30. This is great because I can now work out the right service parts to get. I have other identification issues next (Volvo Penta dual steering cables that there is a lot of stiffness in but I'll follow that now that I know what the engine model is

If its a sterndrive ( outdrive ) it is an AQAD 30.
The data plate is riveted to the block horizontally below the injection pump, brass plate is about 1/2 inch by 2 inch long.

Round yellow decal is valve clearance info, rectangular decal is heat exchanger coolant level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom