Kadey Krogen Manatee, at Anchor Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanK

Vessel Name
Poerava
Hello, We have sold a trawler that had hard chines and unique hard chine in the bow area that made an tremendous amount of noise at anchor. I equate it toa really loud slap or smack you could hear thru most the 44' boat. AT times you could even feel it. It had a very pronounced knuckle or chine and drove me nuts. I have asked a few people but wanted to post here.
At anchor in a somewhat wavey or slightly choppy anchorage how loud is the manatee?
Does it smack or Slap?
is it just a muffled whumpf kind of noise?
Does it pound?
is it very rolly if the waves are on the bow?
Not sure i can get over the aesthetics or or cored hull below WL but would love to know more.
Thank you,

I owned a Manatee for 15 years. I anchored out 99% of the time in the PNW. 300 feet 5/16 BBB with Ultra anchor. I used a snubber I would lower a couple feet below the waterline, tie it off and then lower more chain to around half the water depth to create a loop. The weight of the loop would slow the motion (create drag) for up/down and sideways. The Manatee doesn’t have a slap, but rolls forever when hit sideways by a wake. I ended up adding a Magma pole/flopper stopper, which cut the roll in half. I loved that boat and you will learn to love the looks too when you understand the additional room you get. I wouldn’t worry about the cored hull. It doesn’t rot and your going so slow you will have plenty of time to dodge obstructions-I didn’t have an auto pilot, so I had a tendency to look where I was going 😀

Hello, We have sold a trawler that had hard chines and unique hard chine in the bow area that made an tremendous amount of noise at anchor. I equate it toa really loud slap or smack you could hear thru most the 44' boat. AT times you could even feel it. It had a very pronounced knuckle or chine and drove me nuts. I have asked a few people but wanted to post here.
At anchor in a somewhat wavey or slightly choppy anchorage how loud is the manatee?
Does it smack or Slap?
is it just a muffled whumpf kind of noise?
Does it pound?
is it very rolly if the waves are on the bow?
Not sure i can get over the aesthetics or or cored hull below WL but would love to know more.
Thank you,
Had an 1988 single stateroom model. There's a huge anchor locker in front of the bed so that gives you a little bit of insulation from any noise that might come from the bow, though I never experienced any in the 50/50 anchor/dockage split I experienced. There is no pounding heading directly into waves, but in short period waves of 5'-6' you will take spray up to the bridge! That said, on the bow or aft, is where you will want to take ANY wave action. Since she has a wonderful displacement hull she rolls dramatically in waves taken on the beam. That hull will get you nearly 9k miles from 280 gallons if you are willing to cruise at 5ish knots! Went to Sea of Cortez (from SF) and back twice and each time only filled up in Mexico due to cheap fuel.
Her beauty will grow on you, especially when traveling with a bunch of 40'-50' boats and they all want to party on your Manatee because it's the most comfortable in the fleet.

I owned a Manatee for 15 years. I anchored out 99% of the time in the PNW. 300 feet 5/16 BBB with Ultra anchor. I used a snubber I would lower a couple feet below the waterline, tie it off and then lower more chain to around half the water depth to create a loop. The weight of the loop would slow the motion (create drag) for up/down and sideways. The Manatee doesn’t have a slap, but rolls forever when hit sideways by a wake. I ended up adding a Magma pole/flopper stopper, which cut the roll in half. I loved that boat and you will learn to love the looks too when you understand the additional room you get. I wouldn’t worry about the cored hull. It doesn’t rot and your going so slow you will have plenty of time to dodge obstructions-I didn’t have an auto pilot, so I had a tendency to look where I was going 😀
I bought Barry Hurd’s BB Fine, a 1987 single stateroom model. It has a heavy duty mast set up with paravanes. I had just sold a very nice Kadey Krogen 42 when I ran across BB Fine. Bart told me he never had to use the paravanes while running but used them at anchor to stop the role.

Had an 1988 single stateroom model. There's a huge anchor locker in front of the bed so that gives you a little bit of insulation from any noise that might come from the bow, though I never experienced any in the 50/50 anchor/dockage split I experienced. There is no pounding heading directly into waves, but in short period waves of 5'-6' you will take spray up to the bridge! That said, on the bow or aft, is where you will want to take ANY wave action. Since she has a wonderful displacement hull she rolls dramatically in waves taken on the beam. That hull will get you nearly 9k miles from 280 gallons if you are willing to cruise at 5ish knots! Went to Sea of Cortez (from SF) and back twice and each time only filled up in Mexico due to cheap fuel.
Her beauty will grow on you, especially when traveling with a bunch of 40'-50' boats and they all want to party on your Manatee because it's the most comfortable in the fleet.
Are you certain of those figures?!? 9k miles divided by 280 gallons comes out at over 32 mpg . . . . Heck, even my CAR doesn't average 32 mpg . . . .

Back
Top Bottom