Keel to flybridge height of a 36 Vega Std.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkymtnsailor

Title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if the boat could be trucked from the west coast to either gulf coast or east coast without pulling the flybridge???

Thanks in advance, DB

All willards are not the same

I Think you would need to take it out of the water.
some Willard boats are different. Some are for sail some aft pilothouse and so on. Some trailers higher lower. some truckers need more clearance.
You would have to do the math.
The big question is the PNW and Canada have the best places in the world to go. Look before you go.
Don

You're in luck. Weebles, a Willard 36 sedan, is on the hard. I'll measure it tomorrow.

That said, it will be damn close. I believe the magic number is 13'6" from pavement to highest point.

Peter
View attachment 134976

Over height transport is possible, but more expensive. And depending on how far over height you are, that'll determine whether there's a viable route available and just how expensive it'll be.

mvweebles You're in luck. Weebles, a Willard 36 sedan, is on the hard. I'll measure it tomorrow.

That said, it will be damn close. I believe the magic number is 13'6" from pavement to highest point.

Peter
Thanks Peter, the devil's in the details - I need keel to flybridge without the venturi

rslifkin Over height transport is possible, but more expensive. And depending on how far over height you are, that'll determine whether there's a viable route available and just how expensive it'll be.
In a previous life, I pulled double trailers for a few years. If it's over height, I'll have to continue shopping, Thanks

Not good news. I'm showing 14'2" from keel to caprail on flybridge (excluding venturi). Ground is a bit uneven and I may be off by an inch or two, but I can safely say my boat is several inches taller than 13'6" max which is my understanding for a compliant load. These boats were all built in the 1960s so there is bound to be some variation, but they were all built from molds so I doubt it varies significantly.

Also, I recall when I checked into trucking they said the boat can sometimes be tilted forward on its keel to reduce height. I do not believe that would work on this hull.

Happy to take other measurements if it would help. Wish the news were better.

Peter 20230110_083744.jpg20230110_083918.jpg

Removing the flybridge would certainly get the height within limits. Given a low enough trailer, I'd expect loaded height could be managed at about 15 feet or just under. That wouldn't be cheap, but I'd expect a transport at that height is possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom