Mainship Mark 1 shaft log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in need of a shaft log for a 1979 Mainship Mark 1
I have read that this log is most likely a Buck Algonquin and I have contacted Blue Water Yacht Supply but was told without a part # or casting # they can't look it up.
I am also thinking about an off the shelf log that would work as a refit but I'm not sure of all the pit falls that I might encounter.
Anyone having information or experience with this issue, information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rod

I am following because I also need to do this project. I don't plan on ordering one until I remove my old one. I am planning on doing a fiberglass replacement probably.

I did find these guys on my google search. I will be interested to hear where you are able to source one.

https://retmarine.com/shop/custom-fiberglass-shaft-tubes-centek/

I had a 1978 Mainship 1 and although I never changed the shaft log, I changed a lot of other things.
Just about everything was easily replaced with off the shelf, standard parts. So my guess is that you won't have any trouble finding a suitable replacement.
I would take it apart then match it up.

Rod,

This looks like the part to me, although the tube that extends into the keel looks a little on the short side. The Mainship 34' stern bearing assembly is about as simple as an installation you could hope for because there is no wood components or coring to worry about and everything is about as easy to access as you could reasonable hope for on a boat.

Part Number: BKA-STBR138-50

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/pro...using-bronze-1-3-8--or-1-1-2--shaft-3196.html

This is off of my MK lll

Attachments

• 20220304_100600.jpg
    20220304_100600.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 22
After cleanup

Attachments

• Compress_20240308_121524_4555.jpg
    Compress_20240308_121524_4555.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for all the input Gentleman
But so far no cigar.
Gdavids part looks good for a cutless housing but as you can see from PhilPBs pictures I need much longer internal tail peice to extend into the hollow Keel.
I'm meeting with the boat yard Monday to discuss options
TO BE CONTINUED

Rod R

If you can't find the exact replacement it might be possible to thread a piece of bronze pipe into a standard stern bearing and have a machine shop turn the inboard end down to fit the shaft seal.

Back
Top Bottom