Moved the boat today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Today we just got back from the 85 mile boat ride, Alameda to Stockton. The boat ran great, I had the diesels at 1600 rpm and making 9 to 10 knots depending on wind and currents. The boat ride took 9 hours and man I'm spent. We left home at 6:30 and got back at 7:30. Thirteen hour adventure including drive times and docking for the first time at a new dock where your lines are not already preset.

All went well, didn't hit anything, didn't bump the dock, the mast was cut correctly and man, what a great adventure! Glad I spent the time to get trained properly. The weather change was amazing. In the bay a good stiff 15-20 was whipping up white caps and we took some spray over the bow. I was cold with 3 layers, T shirt, long sleeve work shirt and a jacket. But that all changed slowly as we got further into the Delta. It was warm and I was down to the T shirt. Wrapping up had me covered in sweat, but the strong Delta breeze quickly cooled me down and evaporated the dew.

I think I drank 4 liters of water - Now drinking Tequila!

Congrats, DC. You just experienced one of the rarities of taking the boat from dock to dock without an issue, mechanical or otherwise. Uncommon.

Just a few weeks ago we moved from Stockton [had docked there for 14 years] to San Rafael.

Paradise Point Marina's G Dock, Slip 13 was where we docked under cover for the whole time.

Our cruise was also a blast and the boat had no problems... just like yours. :thumb:

What location do you dock in?

Art

Sounds like a good trip.

It’s on my bucket list to eventually cruise the NoCal Delta. Curios to hear from you and Art about Stockton. How is guest slip availability, both there and the other delta marinas? Is the trip up the delta fairly straightforward and the shoaling areas well marked On the charts?

Sounds like a good trip.

It’s on my bucket list to eventually cruise the NoCal Delta. Curios to hear from you and Art about Stockton. How is guest slip availability, both there and the other delta marinas? Is the trip up the delta fairly straightforward and the shoaling areas well marked On the charts?

Fletch - The Delta is a blast!

Warm fresh water in the summer. 1,100 miles of sloughs, canals and running rivers to explore. More islands than you can count. Towns galore with cities sprinkled in.

Keep your eye on the depth sounder!

Plenty of marinas throughout.

A freshwater paradise - IMO!

Yeah. The big rivers, Sacramento and San Joaquin are plenty deep, the Stockton deep water channel is at least 32 feet. The big sloughs and cuts running off are also pretty good, say 8 to 10. But those little ones? You can ground easy.

The charts are good and you should review your course in advance. And learn stuff about rivers, like the silt piles up on the inside bend (short radius) of curves and junctions. Watch for vegetation sticking up, means dirt below.

I love the Delta, it's rich with wildlife, fish and farmland. People are pretty friendly and casual. If you have a big boat and want to see the back sloughs, take an inflatable with you. Absolutely the shallowest draft possible. And I've churned mud with my prop in those too - :)

You might be in the vicinity of the Aurora Restoration Project as seen on Youtube.

Art and DR, thanks for the intel. I did some boating up there in the 80s and enjoyed it. You have some very cruising grounds. I may make it up there one of these days and share a beer with you. Cheers.

Live in Discovery Bay, been boating in the delta since 1958. Easy to get lost in all the rivers and sloughs, never count small islands on chart, many don't exist anymore. Always nav by a solid rock levee. We have lots of good marinas, resorts, restaurants to boat to. We only boat to dinner, never drive. But we have lost two great feeding places recently. Gusti's in Walnut Grove a year ago burnt down and last week we lost the Riverboat on Brannon Island to fire. These have been true icons in the Delta for 50 years and more. There are so many places to go you can't see all in 10 years. There are still some places we have not visited, but not many. We are boating to Sacramento YC this weekend, been a long time since up the Sac River. The Sac/San Joaquin Delta truly is a unique eco system not found anywhere else in the US. A totally fresh water delta, no gators, snakes, sharks, humidity. In places it's like cruising up the Amazon. Ooops, I say too much, don't come LOL!

Congrats, DC. You just experienced one of the rarities of taking the boat from dock to dock without an issue, mechanical or otherwise. Uncommon.

Funny my brother and his Offshore 48 are just getting a final rinse after months of work up in Stockton area. He will be aboard shortly to bring it down to Redwood City. He may spent the tonight at Treasure Island.

We spent 15 years doing summers in the delta. Our favorite place was anchoring in Mildred Island, a sunken former farm. 15 feet deep everywhere. No current. Warm water. Beautiful sunsets.

Now cruising in the PNW......

I miss the warm weather and warm water but not complaining about the cruising up here. It is quite amazing.

It was amazing how long we could make 50 gallons of fresh water last. Of course, personal cleaning was jumping into the water with a bar of soap. Couldn't taste the pesticides so the water seemed really clean!

We would trailer our 10 foot hobie up there, then to to anchorage. Friends would come up from the bay area with the ski boats ..... wonderful, wonderful place.

For you East Coasters, the Delta can be quite strange. When I helped my brother move his boat from Redwood City to Stockton it was spring and the rivers were high. So here we are cruising along and easily looking over the levees out into farm lands. Only, the farm lands are well below the bottom of our keel. It felt somewhat like flying.

Delta Trip

Today we just got back from the 85 mile boat ride, Alameda to Stockton. The boat ran great, I had the diesels at 1600 rpm and making 9 to 10 knots depending on wind and currents. The boat ride took 9 hours and man I'm spent. We left home at 6:30 and got back at 7:30. Thirteen hour adventure including drive times and docking for the first time at a new dock where your lines are not already preset.

All went well, didn't hit anything, didn't bump the dock, the mast was cut correctly and man, what a great adventure! Glad I spent the time to get trained properly. The weather change was amazing. In the bay a good stiff 15-20 was whipping up white caps and we took some spray over the bow. I was cold with 3 layers, T shirt, long sleeve work shirt and a jacket. But that all changed slowly as we got further into the Delta. It was warm and I was down to the T shirt. Wrapping up had me covered in sweat, but the strong Delta breeze quickly cooled me down and evaporated the dew.

I have a 81 34' CHB trawler tri cabin. Love it! I went to Old Sac from Sausalito where my boat lives. 207 mile round trip. Lucked out on current. Went to Napa 4th of July. We have simular boats. Let me know if you need help. 707-695-1293. Douglas

The last 13 years we docked under covered berth in Stockton, at Paradise Point Marina off 8 Mile Road.

Would often go out and anchor in the back sloughs where water was plenty deep and tidal currents ran through keeping the water relatively clean/clear. Did a lot of swimming!! And, relaxing!!!

Leaving our Tolly well anchored: Cruised all over the place in the tow behind 15' Crestliner four seater with full bimini top and 50 hp Johnson outboard. Quick tender... Lots of FUN!!

Health problems have slowed us down. Few weeks ago we cruised back into SF Bay area. Dock at Lowries Yacht Harbor in San Rafael now [where we'd docked before going to the delta.

Spent a full week with two of my workers totally cleaning/sprucing-up our Tolly and its tow behind Crestliner runabout. Both came out Simply GREAT! Ads giving Craig List links are on TF For Sale thread.

Happy Boating Daze!! - Art & Linda :speed boat: :dance::dance:

Tiki Lagoon, drone view

52225832761_a6b577cdaa_b.jpg

I'm at the dock closest to the bridge, second slip down from the bend in the dock. Lots of room to maneuver, no stress at all. Well except for wind and currents eh? But lots of room helps with those too - :)

I love the "easy slope" gang way too. Have had lots of steeper ones which can be a bit of a pain with a fully loaded dock cart.

Last edited:

I understand how you feel. I am a lifelong sailor and bought a 1973 GB36. The first time driving it was moving it back home, about 7 hours. I had to dock it for the first time by turning 180 deg, with the wind on the stern and a current on the bow. There were some cocktails involved afterwards. Best wishes on your new venture.

Hey all. I’m trying to figure a purchase and have since checked out the Tower Park Marina so I can be as close to Modesto as I can. The wife just discovered that the neighbor marinas have maybe a better rate to park something like a GB 42 at a reasonable rate. I’m pleased that a new boater did that trip as I’m a newbie too. If anyone has an idea what I should pay for someone to capitan a GB32 or a 46 from so cal please let me know what to budget for thx 209-380-3355. Looking at a GB

Hi Ron, Tower Park is north of Stockton, in Lodi. You probably want something closer to Stockton. The ones close to the freeway are nice, but expensive. Check out Paradise Point, was closed for a while, now reported to be getting better. I'm at Tiki which is nice and has low rates, but it's a drive west on Hwy 4.

The guy who trained us, Captain John Curry, does this stuff (deliveries) don't know what he charges but you can inquire at his company Stem to Stern LLC

Thanks DR for the info. I sent them a message so I know how to budget this. The wife will want to come out to one of the nearby marinas but she has shown concern about what riff raff may be near the Stockton marinas so we will definitely check out others as long as the homeless folks don’t seem to scare the wife thanks

Cool. He's a great guy and a great trainer as well. You could meet up with him in Benicia and get trained on the way to the dock.

Hi guys... We just left Paradise Point after docking there in a covered berth for 14 years... G Dock, slip 13.

Village West is very clean and nice. https://villagewestmarina.com/

Good Luck!!

Village West is very nice, went to see a boat there that we didn't buy. All the nice marinas have locked gates with electronic key fob access. Tiki has security cameras and Village West even has dock security guards.

Of course security guards have to be paid and guess who pays...

I had a boat stolen from a locked gate marina once, can't stop the water access eh?

Yeah, the "down & dirty" delta is not as nice as the upscale bay area marinas, but neither is the price.

If you are at a place with liveaboards, make friends with them, get to know them. They know who owns what boat and are the best security ever. Some even have dogs - :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom