muffler in a Chinese diesel heater (HCALORY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
this is the muffler that comes with the heater

the muffler has an option in size between 22 and 24mm. I took a measure but still cannot tell. generally is the exhaust pipe 22 or 24mm in these heaters?

I remember people say it leaks. Upon inspection, i saw the exhaust passage is along the center pipe that has some fiber on its inside wall. does this pipe have a porous wall so the exhaust will leak through the crevice as shown below?

this muffler is a flow-through type rather than a baffled type. Flow-through style is recommended in John McK 47's videos for the lower restriction on the exhaust flow.

Image_20240401192249.jpg

There is a better muffler on ebay. It has cast ends that screw on so you can open it up. It still has holes for a water drain. If it's inside, with some thought you can attach a tube and loop it like a sink drain. Once water fills the loop, no exhaust will come out. Or you could block the holes and water would collect. Maybe the heat will force it out the exhaust.
There are 3 sizes and colors. Maybe the bigger ones are quieter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1860344646...+sayAPU5s0KU6s7p2x9vit87w=|tkp:Bk9SR-yz08TTYw

Attachments

• muffler.JPG
    muffler.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 18
  • muffler1.JPG
    muffler1.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 12
  • muffler2.JPG
    muffler2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 16
  • muffler3.JPG
    muffler3.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 37
The muffler that came with your heater should not be used if inside the cabin. It is for mounting outside under a vehicle. I would also be wary of the ones that Lepke shows. The only way there would be a need for drain holes in the muffler casing is if the water vapor in the exhaust was condensing and dripping out. Once the muffler heats up, it would then be only the exhaust coming out the holes. My guess, based on the construction, is that these mufflers are also intended for use only outside of habitable space.

Webasto sells a stainless exhaust that can be mounted inside. Or you can make your own. Here is a blog about my muffler. Even the "big one" shown above is only 6 inches. Mine is straight through, about 18 inches long, and really makes a difference. It heats up enough so that, like a car, the exhaust condensation is evaporated out in the exhaust if operated more than a few minutes. No need for holes.

https://stuffsax.blogspot.com/2024/01/diy-muffler-for-diesel-heater.html#google_vignette

I've seen the post before. Great improvisation.

just curious, what high temp silicon sealant was used to seal the 23mm ss hose to the 3/4" brass pipe?

The muffler that came with your heater should not be used if inside the cabin. It is for mounting outside under a vehicle. I would also be wary of the ones that Lepke shows. The only way there would be a need for drain holes in the muffler casing is if the water vapor in the exhaust was condensing and dripping out. Once the muffler heats up, it would then be only the exhaust coming out the holes. My guess, based on the construction, is that these mufflers are also intended for use only outside of habitable space.

Webasto sells a stainless exhaust that can be mounted inside. Or you can make your own. Here is a blog about my muffler. Even the "big one" shown above is only 6 inches. Mine is straight through, about 18 inches long, and really makes a difference. It heats up enough so that, like a car, the exhaust condensation is evaporated out in the exhaust if operated more than a few minutes. No need for holes.

https://stuffsax.blogspot.com/2024/01/diy-muffler-for-diesel-heater.html#google_vignette

I've been running that heater for the last couple of years without the muffler. It is very quiet with just the exhaust pipe.

I think it was this stuff. The stainless hose can be crushed on tight with a good hose clamp. The sealant is just to make sure that it seals good. A muffler makes the exhaust very quiet even for the boats next to you.

I have scrap pieces of two different SS exhaust pipes from diesel heaters in my scrap pile. So, like the heating duct, each install can be different.

I think it was this stuff. The stainless hose can be crushed on tight with a good hose clamp. The sealant is just to make sure that it seals good. A muffler makes the exhaust very quiet even for the boats next to you.

I have scrap pieces of two different SS exhaust pipes from diesel heaters in my scrap pile. So, like the heating duct, each install can be different.
Thanks. I think this the webasto stainless muffler you said in #3.

what options are necessary for the installation?

Screenshot 2024-04-04 223139.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom