New Member-Info on Cheer Men Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PT42Wannabee

Hi,

Looking for Members who own Cheer Men Trawlers. After looking at many designs in the 36 to 50 foot class. I really like the PT 42 Sunbridge CPMY model. Missed an opportunity locally in Puget Sound. Now looking at boat in Oregon. Things to look for ? Best Motor configurations ? Engines or options to avoid. Handling n Rough Seas ?

Also, anyone cruised from Astoria to Seattle in a Cheer Men Trawler ?

Thanks

Don't know that model but sounds like the typical Taiwan built aft cabin trawlers but you are saying CPMY so maybe not? What year is it? Generally the Taiwan boats are fairly decent quality and are fine for near coastal cruising. What is your intention for how you plan to use it. What has you focused on This particular model? Lots of boats out there might meet your needs.

Found this thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...er-cheer-man-pt-42-europa-red-gypsy-5070.html.

Maybe some members with this boat are still on the forum.

If you have not done so I would suggest you create a list of the must haves, nice to haves and should not have features. Budget is also important.

Hi,

Looking for Members who own Cheer Men Trawlers. After looking at many designs in the 36 to 50 foot class. I really like the PT 42 Sunbridge CPMY model. Missed an opportunity locally in Puget Sound. Now looking at boat in Oregon. Things to look for ? Best Motor configurations ? Engines or options to avoid. Handling n Rough Seas ?

Also, anyone cruised from Astoria to Seattle in a Cheer Men Trawler ?

Thanks

Here’s an older thread about the pt 38/42 sundeck models. There are a couple of links to pdf files that will be interesting. The one with the builders info especially. There’s motor and performance specs for the different engine configurations.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s10/cheer-men-pt-38-pt-42-sundeck-owners-guide-5386.html

At first glance, the 42 is a stretched 38 so you get the cockpit. Pretty desirable configuration I would guess.
The only cheer men I have seen in person was a very rotten aft cabin classic style. It was nice once, but chronic leaks did it in. Look very closely for evidence of water damage, and soft wood.

There’s a pt 41 classic in Tacoma that might be worth looking at. Saw it on yacht world.

Never heard of it. If it is a Taiwan trawler it is generally a pretty good boat, just check the windows and decks for leaks and the condition and age of the fuel tanks.

pete

Hi,
I'm new on this forum and wanted to thank you all for sharing valuable information and experience.
I'm a lifetime sailor and a former boatyard co-owner (family business for over 50 years, designing and building pleasure and workboats in steel and aluminum), but spent my whole life in sailboats.

Back in January I saw a PT41 and it was hard to say no to the challenge of leaving her in a mint condition, and start my learning process in the fiberglass world. She is overall in a pretty good shape, but some stuff must be done.

I am about to start soda blasting the bottom, then an Interlux Barrier Epoxy 2000/2001 + Trinidad hard antifouling scheme. She has no blisters or signals of osmosis at all, but want to leave that part to the best condition possible.

After that, I'll follow with the windows, she has a couple of leaks there. I have a 200 item excel file that I want to address, and I will also document each work and step I'll take.
The goal is to have her in a sailing condition this Summer.

Fair Winds and good luck with your search of a Cheer Men trawler out there.

Welcome, and be sure to post pictures along the way please! Would love to watch the progress!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom