Our Helmsman 43E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do some measurements first. That will be really tight, and I don’t think you will have room for your AP and the Cummins Vessel View with two 12” monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDT
I was going down the two 12s route because that’s what I had on the Ranger Tug 29 and I really liked it. But I get more total screen area with a single 17”, 131 sq in versus 115 sq in for the two 12s. I typically run a split screen with nav on the left and radar on the right. The 17 is great for that. In tight paces I run nav on left and sonar on right. I rarely run the display split into 4 charts. And I have a dozen different combo screens I can pull up in 2 seconds.

For me the extra real estate of the 17 was better than the redundancy of two 12” screens. And I always have the flybridge if the helm screen takes a dump.

Every Captain chooses, and that's the way it should be. I will have two 8616 MFD's on the 46 PH helm, and single 8212 MFD on the FB helm. Seems like overkill but I want redundancy because of the cruising I will be doing around the PNW and up north.

Every Captain chooses, and that's the way it should be. I will have two 8616 MFD's on the 46 PH helm, and single 8212 MFD on the FB helm. Seems like overkill but I want redundancy because of the cruising I will be doing around the PNW and up north.
Redundancy is good insurance for any cruiser. I will assume the 46 will have more real estate to work with. At this point for me it is all speculative because I don't even know the dimensions of the Helm surfaces. Will need to make a mock up and try different lay outs.

Here is an overhead of the H46 pilot house from the Helmsman website. The winged PH helm control station has ample room for MFD's, switches, gauges radios and other monitors. Directly in front of the steering wheel are engine, autopilot and thruster controls as well as analog gauges for the John Deere 6090SFM85 engine. Scott Helker should be able to send you the dimensions of the H43 helm control panel.
H46 helm.png

Redundancy is good insurance for any cruiser. I will assume the 46 will have more real estate to work with. At this point for me it is all speculative because I don't even know the dimensions of the Helm surfaces. Will need to make a mock up and try different lay outs.
We (“helmsman 43” on this site and I) installed a Furuno TZT 16 on both a 38e and a 43e on the lower helm. There isn’t any appreciable difference on the helm width or height between the two vessels. Here is a pic of the layout we installed on both boats. While the picture isn’t great, it can give you a sense of scale.

Attachments

• IMG_5096.jpeg
    IMG_5096.jpeg
    730.9 KB · Views: 45
View attachment 154198

I ended up going with a single 17” MFD.
Thanx for the pic. Great video also. Some great choices of options on a beautiful boat. I like the clean Helm with one large display and find it very interesting that there is more usable area with one large vs two small. Next to the MFD is the auto pilot and another similar sized control which is ....? Now that you have been using it a little, are you happy with the layout or would you change it any? Magnus Master control location looks good.

Thanks

The second small display is for the Cummins.

Very happy with the layout and would do it that way again.

Here is an overhead of the H46 pilot house from the Helmsman website. The winged PH helm control station has ample room for MFD's, switches, gauges radios and other monitors. Directly in front of the steering wheel are engine, autopilot and thruster controls as well as analog gauges for the John Deere 6090SFM85 engine. Scott Helker should be able to send you the dimensions of the H43 helm control panel.
View attachment 154233
46 Helm station.png

This is the helm control station for the H46. Helmsman was happy to build as designed. It's 15" tall. The center is 38" wide, and will have two Garmin 8616's side by side. The wings are each 16" wide will have switches, gauges, remote controls, etc, etc. On the lower panel, between the thruster paddles and engine/shifter/throttle controls are engine gauges and monitors. Nothing overhead as I prefer not to reach up for anything while underway. The large cabinet doors on the starboard side allow access to the space under the helm console. Lots of storage. The build is in the final stages. A water/stability/CE A survey coming in May. Hope to see the new Kiskadee in late June in Seattle.

We were boating yesterday in the Puget Sound and conditions were burlier than forecast. Gave me the opportunity to take a couple more DMS videos.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom