Predator 3500 generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

The predator 3500 generator has a 30amp plug, wondering if I can just use shore power cord and plug right into boat to charge batteries.

I’m learning the electrical on the boat, the gen is inverted output, and I believe the shore power goes thru the inverter on the boat. Just wanna ensure I do t blow nothing up by plugging in the gen straight to the shore power connection.

Thanks

Have it figured out, just have to get a few CO2 detectors����

My Craftsman 3000 has the 3 prong 30 amp socket, plug and play with shore power cord, so Si would assume the same with the Predator

I'm currently using one as the electrical end of my westerbeke burnt up and it works fine, I just run the shore power cord to it with the 30 amp adapter. I do have to manage my loads or it will shut down. It also has a built in carbon monoxide detector and will shut down if there isn't sufficient airflow around the unit. And yes, definitely close any ports/windows in the area of the generator when it's running!

Might be a great genset but why call it a "Predator"?. What`s it going to predate on? Your electrics?

It's prey is anyone trying to enjoy a quiet anchorage!

With either the Predator 2000 or the Predator 3500, in addition to CO monitors, you will probably have to bond the neutral to the ground at the generator. There are specific plugs sold for this, or you can easily make your own. Here is one example, there are others. Simply plug them in to one of the spare 120v outlets on the generator.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...d=1t:200715&ictx=111#spd=13481947576332851254

In addition, there is the safe storage of the gasoline needed to run the generator, but most boaters have already addressed this with respect to extra fuel for their dinghy.

The Predator or Honda generators are a great addition to the cruisers tool kit as long as the "T's" are crossed, and the "I's" are dotted.:dance:

It's prey is anyone trying to enjoy a quiet anchorage!

Most of our cruising will be along the BC coast, we do have solar, so hopefully won’t be running the gen set to much. And I’m respectfull to others as well.

I don’t think this boat ever had an internal generator on it, 1972 GB36. Don’t see we’re there was ever any room. Could be wrong, I’m a noob to this type of boating, my experience has been with high HP day cruisers on lake mead, NV.

With either the Predator 2000 or the Predator 3500, in addition to CO monitors, you will probably have to bond the neutral to the ground at the generator. There are specific plugs sold for this, or you can easily make your own. Here is one example, there are others. Simply plug them in to one of the spare 120v outlets on the generator.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...d=1t:200715&ictx=111#spd=13481947576332851254

In addition, there is the safe storage of the gasoline needed to run the generator, but most boaters have already addressed this with respect to extra fuel for their dinghy.

The Predator or Honda generators are a great addition to the cruisers tool kit as long as the "T's" are crossed, and the "I's" are dotted.:dance:

Thank you very much for that info, I purchased the 3500 just for the 30amp plug, glad to see that there are bonded 30amp plugs.

Hopefully west marine has these, headed there today to pick up new dinghy, I’ll search there store and see, other wise seems I’ll be building me a new cord.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom