Silicon Coating for Upper Helm Aluminum Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
Title tells the story.

I am about to coat the sheet aluminum top to my fully enclosed upper helm with a 100% silicon roof coating. Am I crazy?

I will add play sand to provide a less slick surface to walk on when it is raining should I have to go up top. I have considered an acrylic coating, but I can get some ponding (1/4" deep) that can stay for a few hours, and most acrylic roof sealers say they will fail if ponding occurs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mold loves sand textures. Just another maintenance problem

Not sure exactly what coating you are proposing to use but keep in mind that when you use silicone on something you may not be able to get anything else to stick there. If you have a problem with the silicone sticking you may have to go to some extraordinary measures to clean the surface before you recoat it. I am very leery of using silicone on anything on a boat.

Thanks for your comments.

It is just time for the top to be recoated. I did and Interlux coating 10 years ago and it is pretty much shot.

I am putting a vinyl beadboard header in the aluminum dog house cover and found a few spots where water was seeping through the cover (seams, screws, pop rivets, etc). Also had a couple of spots on the helm top with small drips a couple of years ago. Thus, I am motivated to recoat the top and stop the leaks.

Do you know of a good coating that will not leak or delaminate if there is a little ponding for a few hours?? The tops are close to flat and with chrome trim around the top outer edge, water sometimes holds on low spots or near the edge for a while.

Also, some of the new paints stick pretty well to silicon if a proper primer is used.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I noted that Petite's Tough Coat can be submerged. Might that make a good coating for an aluminum helm top?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments.

It is just time for the top to be recoated. I did and Interlux coating 10 years ago and it is pretty much shot.

I am putting a vinyl beadboard header in the aluminum dog house cover and found a few spots where water was seeping through the cover (seams, screws, pop rivets, etc). Also had a couple of spots on the helm top with small drips a couple of years ago. Thus, I am motivated to recoat the top and stop the leaks.

Do you know of a good coating that will not leak or delaminate if there is a little ponding for a few hours?? The tops are close to flat and with chrome trim around the top outer edge, water sometimes holds on low spots or near the edge for a while.

Also, some of the new paints stick pretty well to silicon if a proper primer is used.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I noted that Petite's Tough Coat can be submerged. Might that make a good coating for an aluminum helm top?

Thanks again.
Maybe removing the old coating and let the AL oxidize to its natural state is the best solution.

If you want to paint it there are several decent two part paints out there but careful surface prep and initial pre coats like Zn Chromate products are commonly used. A good Al boat builder can advise as to coating procedures that have stood the test of time.

Also be careful as to attachments as Al corrodes with non Al screws etc.

I like Kiwigrip. It is a latex paint that weras like iron. Simple to install and seems very durable. I would check with them about ponding though.

Thanks for your inputs. Letting it age won't stop the leaks at the seams and fasteners. I will have to take it apart and reseal all of the joints to take that approach.

I used Interlux Zinc Chromate when I did the top 10 years ago.

What fastener material is in contact with the Al?

Back
Top Bottom