Spacer heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
What are your thoughts on using a portable space heater in your boat to keep the air dry?
On my previous boat I used a portable spacer for 15 years to keep the dampness to a minimum. I had the heater on a safe non combustible surface with the thermostat set on a setting that was low enough to turn on in a cool night or morning air.
I now have a Mainship 350. It’s been quite cool and damp lately.
Thanks

A 1500 watt space heater is a dangerous way to do it. Read the fine print on any space heater, it will say not for continuous use.

A portable space heater can be used, but minimum temp setting and minimum wattage. This means with a Caframo 9206, it turns on around 45F at it's minimum setting of 600w. I buy a new one every 5 years. Even so, there are many marinas that don't allow them.

Have had better luck with a 35 liter dehumidifier which provides some heat, and keeps the humidity under 45%. Great for our rainy winters.

Just noticed that I'm now a Guru (whatever that is). Took me long enough!

All space heaters are a potential fire hazard. Especially when run unattended.

Setting them on low, using a heater with a low amp setting not just off and on, will reduce risk. Caframo are good because they have the switch to select 600 WATTs and lay flat so they cannot be knocked over. But they have a fan, what happens if the fan stops working? How hot will the element get? I don't know. I replace mine after 2 winters of use.

Another consideration is the circuit you have the heater plugged into. You are running the heater unattended for long periods of time. A loose or corroded connection anywhere in the circuit generates heat. It can generate enough heat to start a fire without tripping the breaker.

I have been using them for 40+ years of live aboard (not continuous though) boating...like anything, wise use is different than less than thoughtful use that seems to get people in trouble.

There are all different kinds of space heaters, but ultimately to keep moisture down, it is just heated air that can keep moisture in the air versus forming on cooler surfaces.

I used space heaters in all my liveaboards and currently in my RVs.

I keep them on the low setting when absent....but still not for anything more than all day absences, and high when I am present to monitor it. I also never run a space heater if it is the only or only partial source of heat so that it's thermostat can keep it from running continuously. What that means is that if cold enough...I run multiple space heaters or another source of thermostatically controlled heat.

I buy better than minimal type space heaters with tip over, thermal and better construction than the cheaper models.

If you don't need quick heating or spot heating....or are space/weight limited, the oil filled radiator types are dang safe as long as mot run on high with minimal wiring supplying them. Again, running them continuous is never a good idea.

Having studied a fair amount of fire accident reports due to space heaters and extension cord/octopus outlet connections is pretty clear that continuous use or overloading is usually the fire issue, not the individual heater itself unless covered or too near a combustible source.

Are they the best at reducing moisture levels? No, plenty of other possibly safer methods...but if you need dry heat for comfort...they can be used with relative safety.

Last edited:
A 1500 watt space heater is a dangerous way to do it. Read the fine print on any space heater, it will say not for continuous use.

Not running continuously. Thermostat is at the lowest setting and runs periodically.

Electric heaters don't dry the boat unless the air is vented. They just make damp air warmer. If you have an open port or hatch that allows the rising warm damp air an escape, ok. Otherwise the water stays in the boat.
A Thermocube rated at 1500 watts turns on at 35° and off at 45°. Amazon or ebay.

Attachments

• Thermocube.JPG
    Thermocube.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 18
I don’t see the point of the block since the heater has a thermostat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom