Dickinson Antartic heater install on Balder VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balder8

Vessel Name
BALDER VIII
Vessel Make
North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Hi,
It is my turn to provide some pictures or tips to this excellent forum concerning a Dickinson install:

- location of the heater:
I had no many options and near the door communicating with the cockpit was the only one, with benefit of permanent fresh air intake more easy to install than on a sailboat), at the same level than the small fan under the burner.More efficient than a dorade through ceiling.
Heater is floor mounted, no other option for this Antartic model.More or less in the middle. ( normally my trawler doesn't heel to much )

- flue exhaust: on the fly bridge, Wilhem,the friendly Dutch dealer for Europe recommanded to use a Refleks double walled flue exhaust better than the thin Dickinson one, providing a better draft. A special adapter has been fitted. Of course H cheminey with possibility to dismantle all and put a rain tap for summer season. Total lenght: 1,60m in the saloon from top of the heater to the through deck + 1 meter above deck + H cheminey.It sounds to be the maximum.

- fuel system installation; in the engine room a second valve installed to let choice between use of Webasto diesel water heater or Dickinson on the portside tank. A little above the oil metering valve, in the saloon, rubber hose to filter with shut of, Huco pump ( does not make noise at all, good surprise) and before oil metering valve, an high temp oil shut off valve kit provided by Dickinson.This Huco pump is the "pull"version so, better installed a little bit above the level visible on the oil metering valve to take advantage of gravity feed from the small pump.I use approved rubber hose directly after the small 6mm pipes provided to connect with the oil metering valve, it is not warm under the stove.

- oil metering valve: adjustment required! At level 1, I set at the minimum with Allen key to obtain a tea spoon in more or less 50 seconds. I expected to avoid it but the heater started to go with overfire at the first trial: too much diesel coming in the burner. After this ajustment, flame are just above the burner ring with no soot, a clean window and the yellow colour expected.

- barometric damper in the first pipe of the chimney off the top of the heater

- electricity: I drilled a small hole in the Dickinson stainless fan box to install a on off switch for the pump. ( fuse 5 amps), like this I am able to control everything easily keeping one eye on the heater.

Result: everything fine and this heater provides a lot of heat. It is difficult to measure the consumption. If properly installed, light it is not so difficult. Must wait that the few tea spoons of diesel are burned at the beginning before increasing the fuel supply. Currently in Andalucia ( and not Alaska:)), I let on 2,5 max 3 on evening.

I wonder now if I will go ahead with the coil and Radex heaters to provide heat in the two large cabins below. A lot of work to retrofit the hoses, another story and I am not sure I would let the heater all night in the saloon when sleeping in the cabins. I know that fishermen in BC are using permanently these heaters but I am afraid of an overflow something else...

Attachments

• 20240131_185331.jpg
    20240131_185331.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240131_193528.jpg
    20240131_193528.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240131_181431.jpg
    20240131_181431.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240131_194405.jpg
    20240131_194405.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240202_112506.jpg
    20240202_112506.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240202_112536.jpg
    20240202_112536.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240131_185742.jpg
    20240131_185742.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Really nice install. If you were to fit the water lines and radiators down to your cabins, to what temperature do you think it would heat your boat down to? Also what about the pilot house, do you just use small fans push heat there?

Thank you Mako.
Concerning the pilothouse, no issue because the heat goes up easily and my boat is really well insulated. I will certainly consider put a little fan of the heater if I can find one here.
Down below, another story. I do not understand very well how design a reliable thermosyphon system. Also, on a steel boat with watertight compartments, it is better to think twice and drill once ...
For example, when ready to use a 127mm circular tool to make the exhaust flue hole in the 6mm steel deck, I discovered a reinforced plate and I have been obliged to add two 45deg elbows to relocate the exhaust 20 cm further....Have small Radex radiators in cabins is certainly a must.

Forget about thermosyphon. You’ll connect a small DC powered water pump to circulate water down below.

Forget about thermosyphon. You’ll connect a small DC powered water pump to circulate water down below.

Thanks again Mako:)

Back
Top Bottom