Still working on the Tung Hwa Senator refurb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Westerbeke 4.4KW Diesel generator intermittently has been hard to start. Here is some basic troubleshooting and a fairly easy fix along with some basic testing of the Gen its self. Hope it might be useful to some. Cost of DIY troubleshooting and repair was $18. One more refurb project done. About 10-15 more to go. Hopefully I can get done with the 10 or 15 project before new ones add up too much. ?

Great video. Thanks. Keep 'em coming :)

In previous postings I discussed the Racor 900 VS the previously installed 500 filter. Well I finally completed the Racor. It took a bit longer because I installed several other modifications along the way. My favorite is the NOS (new old stock) diesel Floscan gauge that I am really looking forward to using and plotting fuel burn rates. So here is a short video just showing the dual 900 Racor and the Floscan in operation. Yes I know I still need the Racor heat shields. They will be installed soon.

Looking good.
Please tell more about the cook top and oven.
What size is your generator?

Last edited:
Looking good.
Please tell more about the cook top and oven.
What size is your generator?

Dan...the gen is a Westerbeke Diesel 4.4 KW that runs well. The combo microwave, convection oven I was eyeballing today pulled 1050 watts. Lowes had one in stock and I think it will fit too. Here is a link..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-1-0-Cu-...ection-Microwave-Oven-with-Air-Fry/5005458799

Any input on compatibility or potential issues is appreciated. I have heard some microwaves can be finicky.

Dan...the gen is a Westerbeke Diesel 4.4 KW that runs well. The combo microwave, convection oven I was eyeballing today pulled 1050 watts. Lowes had one in stock and I think it will fit too. Here is a link..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-1-0-Cu-...ection-Microwave-Oven-with-Air-Fry/5005458799

Any input on compatibility or potential issues is appreciated. I have heard some microwaves can be finicky.

Ah, you are going to use it as a counter top unit. As I recall, all convection/microwave require significant side and rear clearance.

Ah, you are going to use it as a counter top unit. As I recall, all convection/microwave require significant side and rear clearance.

Well..I am hoping there is enough clearance in the stainless steel lined cabinet where the gas stove was. I have these remote temp sensors. Maybe ill put one back there and test it out. Hopefully it doesnt melt...lol.

Well..I am hoping there is enough clearance in the stainless steel lined cabinet where the gas stove was. I have these remote temp sensors. Maybe ill put one back there and test it out. Hopefully it doesnt melt...lol.

The 'recommended' clearance has discouraged me so I will follow your experience closely

Looks good, quite the bang for your buck on that project. I don't have a gen so we plan to upgrade our propane system to modern standards.

When I first saw the soap dispenser I thought the same thing about the bottle.

Looks good, quite the bang for your buck on that project. I don't have a gen so we plan to upgrade our propane system to modern standards.

When I first saw the soap dispenser I thought the same thing about the bottle.

LOL...that damn soap dispenser:banghead:

Of course I never did read the instructions.

The 'recommended' clearance has discouraged me so I will follow your experience closely

This one will fit and does what I want, pulls 1050 watts and gets great reviews. Plus they have it in stock at the local Lowes where I can get a 10% Military discount.:)

Im going to pick it up today and test it this weekend and let you know how it goes. Ill disconnect from shorepower and fire up the genny and see how it likes it.

The old Perkins Diesel helm control panel was in need of some updating so I made a new panel with new gauges and black starboard. It came out pretty good so I went to the boat to install it. After wrestling with the wiring behind the helm for 20 minutes I grabbed some wire cutters and cut every wire holding in the panel. Dyked every last one of them ensuring that the panel would need a rewire..lol. The panel came out pretty good. Ill do the final install next week and do the ops checks as well.

My electrical is also a bit of a rat's nest. I'm not sure when I'll get to that project, so it will probably be little things over time. What I did do was install a fire extinguisher port into the rat's nest. The extinguisher is a "clean agent" type to hopefully save me (literally) without making a huge mess requiring complete re-wiring.

My electrical is also a bit of a rat's nest. I'm not sure when I'll get to that project, so it will probably be little things over time. What I did do was install a fire extinguisher port into the rat's nest. The extinguisher is a "clean agent" type to hopefully save me (literally) without making a huge mess requiring complete re-wiring.

That is actually hilarious ?. Maybe if I would have thought of that I could have stretched the rewire out a bit longer. I have a bunch of Halon extinguishers too.

The old Perkins Diesel helm control panel was in need of some updating so I made a new panel with new gauges and black starboard. It came out pretty good so I went to the boat to install it. After wrestling with the wiring behind the helm for 20 minutes I grabbed some wire cutters and cut every wire holding in the panel. Dyked every last one of them ensuring that the panel would need a rewire..lol. The panel came out pretty good.
You just gave me motivation to tackle my spaghetti below the helm station. Over the years the former owners have been adding and adding and adding, labeling nothing, it is like a bomb exploded.

What you did makes so much more sense.
Great video !

You just gave me motivation to tackle my spaghetti below the helm station. Over the years the former owners have been adding and adding and adding, labeling nothing, it is like a bomb exploded.

What you did makes so much more sense.
Great video !

Glad to hear that Mambo42. If tou take the time to take notes of positions and colors before cutting everything it will make it easy. But in reality it's not too hard. I think you'll find that you can route the majority easily. Then when the easy stuff is done you'll only have a few wires left. Half of those probably aren't hooked up to anything.

Glad to hear that Mambo42. If tou take the time to take notes of positions and colors before cutting everything it will make it easy. But in reality it's not too hard. I think you'll find that you can route the majority easily. Then when the easy stuff is done you'll only have a few wires left. Half of those probably aren't hooked up to anything.
Am watching some of your other videos, absolutely great information. You really have an incredible work shop and a complete skill set. From electronics to upholstery, you do it yourself, wish I could do that.

Currently going over your headliner videos, that is one of the many other projects we will need to do. This period of not being on the boat gives me time to 'learn' and see how others are doing it, so I can start with fresh energy when I get back onboard.

The list of things I need to do is quite long, but that also keeps you busy in retirement. Otherwise you just get bored :)
Thanks again for your videos and explanations.

The list of things I need to do is quite long, but that also keeps you busy in retirement. Otherwise you just get bored :)
Thanks again for your videos and explanations.

I actually love to do all of these things as well as learn new stuff too. Plus..instead of paying someone the labor, I usually get to buy some new tools instead..lol.

You can learn it. Just start with the smaller easier "low hanging fruit" and build out from there. Nothing I have done so far was actually difficult. Sewing has been the most challenging for my patience though..lol. That is a skill that apparently has many levels.

As some of you know I am rewiring my gauge panel. I was going through some of the original paperwork and found the original Perkins wiring diagram for this boat. It shows the start and stop relays as well as the neutral safety switch and other items. Recent discussion here regarding the relays highlighted the fact that no good wire diagram on the net showed this set up in full. In addition the common wire diagram shown on the net only shows an 8 pin harness/connector. I think many Perkins installs from the 80s and early 90s where not represented by the available wire diagrams.

Anyways I copied mine in its raw form to make it available. I then modified it into quarters that can be printed and taped together so its easier to see and so you can scribble your own notes on it. I will post those up as well. And finally I will post my cobbled together taped and notated diagram since it may be helpful to others.

Original drawing for my 1985 Tung Hwa Senator with dual helm station:
Perkins_6.354.4_wire_diagram_for_9_pin_connector.jpg

Quartered copies to be printed and taped together:
1-4_Perkins_6.354_WD.jpg

2-4_Perkins_6.354_WD.jpg

3-4_Perkins_6.354.4_WD.jpg

4-4_Perkins_6.354.4_WD.jpg

My cobbled together copy with MY notes:

Perkins_6.354.4_WD_with_notes.jpg

20220624_170753.jpg

Just to update the project. The lower helm was installed last month and works great.

20220717_164850.jpg

After thinking about how to make some kind of enclosure for the upper help I came up with a waterproof hatch to keep the gauges out of direct elements.

Old helm panel
20220717_184251.jpg

New Helm panel

upper_helm_1.jpg

Closed
upper_helm_2.jpg

Wired it last night and installed on the boat today. Everything worked first try and I didn't even melt any wires! :D

20220904_165308.jpg

20220904_165317.jpg

20220904_165312.jpg

As of now both stations are pretty much fully functional. I just have to hook up the tach wire and put new senders in to replace the originals just so everything is new.

Love the hatch idea! I am facing the same dilemma on my flybridge and I would like to use a similar hatch.
Where did you get it from? Links?

I like the hatch idea, might have to take a look at one to see if I could put a tablet mount on the underside of the lid.

Back
Top Bottom