Storage heater fan motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrentwoodBayliner

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bonita Rose
Vessel Make
1981 Bayliner 3270
Hello all - Many of you use a heater (or two) for winter storage. And here in Canada, many of us use a round Carframo Stor-Dry heater built here in Canada. They are only 75 watts including the heating element and fan motor, so they run continuously. I have three of them. The problem is.. two of them have motors which have seized and are no longer turning freely. Carframo says buy two new heaters (for $150 each), but I would much rather replace the fan motors.. easy fix and probably less than half the price. If I can just find them!

Looks about the size of a bathroom ceiling-fan motor.

I've contacted the factory in Hong Kong who supplied the Carframo motors.. no luck. They don't sell 'direct'. I've contacted every local small-engine shop in my area.. no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Look for a local electrical shop that rebuilds motors. I have had bilge blower motors rebuilt for as cheap as $25.

If you don't specifically need the air movement from the fan, I'd be inclined to swap them out for the Davis Air-Dryr units. They're similar power (they make a 70 watt and a 130 watt version), but the Davis units rely on convection, so there's no fan or other moving parts. It's just an always-on heating element in a box with air holes, so there's not much on it that can break.

Look for a local electrical shop that rebuilds motors. I have had bilge blower motors rebuilt for as cheap as $25.

Thanks Como! I've checked with the recommended rebuilder here.. they charge $100/hr plus parts and they say it's usually minimum an hour per motor, so we're getting pretty close to the brand new (with warranty) price.

If you don't specifically need the air movement from the fan, I'd be inclined to swap them out for the Davis Air-Dryr units. They're similar power (they make a 70 watt and a 130 watt version), but the Davis units rely on convection, so there's no fan or other moving parts. It's just an always-on heating element in a box with air holes, so there's not much on it that can break.

Thanks! I'll also contact Caframo about whether their unit can safely run without a fan. As you say, the Davis has a 130watt element and no fan - convection only. Caframo element is only about 60watts.

Thanks! I'll also contact Caframo about whether their unit can safely run without a fan. As you say, the Davis has a 130watt element and no fan - convection only. Caframo element is only about 60watts.

The Davis comes in a smaller size with a 70 watt heating element if you want less heat. I haven't used the current versions of them, but I've seen some very old (like late 80s) versions of the Davis units still working fine.

I’d pop the fan motors out and take them apart. There likely just little bronze bushings that need to be soaked in oil for a couple of days. Polish the shafts with 000 steel wool or scotch brite. Reassemble and test.
You might be lucky and the motors have little roller bearings in them, I’ve had a few surprise me over the years. In any case it’s not hard to go through them yourself.

I agree with Bmarler. I have resurrected several small motors , W.S. wiper motors,
Heater fans, fan motors and so on.

After some trials I found the synthetic oil works the best. It readily is absorbed by the frequent OILITE bearings/bushings after they dry out. I plug one side and fill the other side and leave it overnight. When I go back the oil has usually been absorbed.

I like the synthetics for this as the viscosity changes little with temperature changes and it starts out as thin.

Most small motors freeze because all the prelube is gone from the bearings. I have several small motors resurrected by oiling. Including my shop vac. Reoiled several times.

Thanks Como! I've checked with the recommended rebuilder here.. they charge $100/hr plus parts and they say it's usually minimum an hour per motor, so we're getting pretty close to the brand new (with warranty) price.

There was an alternator shop in Tucson that rebuilt them for me. We had moved to Michigan by the time I needed the second one rebuilt so I sent it by UPS to a friend that still lived in Tucson and he took it to them, $25 again plus shipping.

For only $25 I wonder if they truly rebuilt them or just oiled :) Today it is hard to imagine anyone doing this for $25. Either way, $25 and they came back working was a great deal!

They did, I watched them do a couple of motors and they had them torn down.

I just oiled (one of) mine. The Caframo uses a T15 driver to remove four self tapping screws on the aluminum housing. The West Marine one is riveted.

Unplugged, pop off the cover accordingly. Remove the fan blade by loosening the set screw with a 1.5mm Allen wrench. Remove the little piece of sheet metal on the top of the motor with a #2 Philips. Unscrew the two #2 Philips machine screws that hold the motor in place.

Use some electrical contact cleaner to clean both bushing on the top and bottom. Rotate the shaft while doing this. I felt it loosen up immediately. Let it dry thoroughly. I actually reassembled the motor to the base and put the fan back on and ran it for a bit with out the cover to ensure the cleaner was evaporated. The squeak and slowness was gone now.

Then I used some 3 in 1 motor oil to lubricate the bushings and to wet out the little white felt pieces on the shaft directly inboard of each bushing. I used a syringe for this. Reassemble the unit and test. It should be good for another ten years.

About 30 minutes of work. Drying the contact cleaner out took the longest.

Edit: Took it apart again to show you some photos.

Attachments

• caframo.jpg
    caframo.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 15
  • T15.jpg
    T15.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 14
  • cover off.jpg
    cover off.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 14
  • shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 14
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I have the unit apart, but can't see how to dis-assemble the motor.. do I drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts..?

How else can I clean and lubricate?

It's the step between removal of the motor and cleaning of the motor that I'm missing..

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I have the unit apart, but can't see how to dis-assemble the motor.. do I drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts..?

How else can I clean and lubricate?

It's the step between removal of the motor and cleaning of the motor that I'm missing..

Thanks!!

I didn't disassemble the motor. I thought about it, and by looking at some other little motors I had kicking around, one could likely drill out the rivets, take it apart, clean it thoroughly, and then replace the rivets with machine screws, lock washers, and nuts.

Instead, I just sprayed in the contact cleaner at the top and bottom flanges and it loosened right up. Figured good enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom