Suggestions needed for removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can drill a large enough hole through the pipe you could slide a solid bar through the holes and try turning the pipe to break it loose. If that doeswork then go back to one of the other approaches.

If I didn't have your collective input, I'd try smooth even pressure. Make a "slug" same diameter as pipe, with hefty chain thru the tube. On the outside , a "bridge" spanning over area from transom to lower keel. Threaded rod or puller to chain & start cranking on the nut. As it (hopefully) comes out, blocks under bridge & keep going. Kind of make your own puller .

try to get the threads cleaned up with a all thread up the center then rent a hollow core hydraulic cylinder to pull it out. It will come out more smoothly with a cylinder. You could also use the same method with the threaded rod going the length of the tube with a plug on the inside of the boat. Obviosly the tube or plug inside needs to match the od of the shaft. I dont like banging or hammering on stuff.

try to get the threads cleaned up with a all thread up the center then rent a hollow core hydraulic cylinder to pull it out. It will come out more smoothly with a cylinder. You could also use the same method with the threaded rod going the length of the tube with a plug on the inside of the boat. Obviosly the tube or plug inside needs to match the od of the shaft. I dont like banging or hammering on stuff.
This, plus pounding on the end on the inside will likely mushroom it and make it very difficult to pull through the hole. Slow, steady motion is preferred.

How about working from the outside and banging it back in then go to the inside and bang it back out. Keep working it in and out in both directions until it loosens enough to pull it out. Lube it real good with grease or WD-40 as well. Just a thought.

I have won the battle.
IMG_2276.jpeg
IMG_2283.jpeg
IMG_2284.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_2286.jpeg
IMG_2287.jpeg
IMG_2288.jpeg

Well done. Was going to post a clapping monkey gif but this popped up.

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .txt, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .heic

Last edited:
Its not officially a win until we see the clapping monkey.

Congrats on getting the tube out. Is that an improvised slide hammer, or some other puller arrangement?

Edit: now i see the slide hammer on the ground. Missed that the first look.

It is a slide hammer marketed for doing automotive bodywork, I did need to modify one of the attachments to be able to fit inside of the tube and pull against the through bolt.
I used the slide hammer for a few pulls then used a pipe wrench to rotate the tube then repeat many times. It was probably a half an hour of slide hammering to get it removed.

It was quite the relief to get it removed, there were many times laying in bed at night wondering how to go about it and what my options would be, Now just to figure out my replacement options. The beer is tasting exceptionally good tonight 😀

Greetings,
Mr. g. Here ya go...

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .txt, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .heic

Dayum!

1713657363363.jpeg

Good job. I am glad it came out for you.

Back
Top Bottom