Tayana 42 raised pilot house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mnmayon

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tayana
Vessel Make
42 raised pilot House
Just wandering if anyone else on here has one of these? Maybe in the pacific NW, I plan on having this one for some time and would love to chat with other owners. I do know there are a couple out there like the Puffin also one in the Portland. Anxiously waiting response!

Thanks for welcoming me aboard

Yes that was my first post I’m sure many to come! Thanks for your encouragement :)

It gets easier as you go. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Just wandering if anyone else on here has one of these? Maybe in the pacific NW, I plan on having this one for some time and would love to chat with other owners. I do know there are a couple out there like the Puffin also one in the Portland. Anxiously waiting response!
Hello Mnmayon,
I own one, probably the one you mentioned in Portland ;)

I bought her a couple years ago and I too have been looking for other owners.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. Like I said only owned a short time so still learning her.

Wow how exciting! Finally I found a Tayana 42 owner… What year is yours? The one thing I have been struggling with is prop pitch and trying to get my Rpm up to the max while in gear

What’s the Name of your boat ?

The Tayana 42 is very similar to the Bluewater 40 raised pilothouse trawlers. They are built alike, fiberglass hull with a fiberglass covered plywood above the deck.

They both have heavily built FG hulls but their uppers share the same wet plywood and delamination issues. Repairs on both are essentially the same. See the Bluewater section in the builders forum for threads.

There were Tayanas also built by the C & C boat yard and called the C & C 42.

There is an annual Bluewater/Tayana rendezvous every year around June.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s71/bluewater-trawler-rendezvous-puget-sound-23-a-66559.html

Wow how exciting! Finally I found a Tayana 42 owner… What year is yours? The one thing I have been struggling with is prop pitch and trying to get my Rpm up to the max while in gear
My boat is a 76, props are 22x18 4 blade. Haven't had any problems with the rpm? Twin Lehman 120s Newage gearboxs think 2:1. Total overhaul 2017 (less than 300hrs on them) 8.5 -9kts at about 1750rpm and plenty of power to spare. Boats running light at the moment. On the hook at survey 37k. Tanks about 1/3 full.

Name is Panacea and she is a beautiful tank! ;)

Well maybe I’m just over analyzing this, I have 22by 17 pitch three blades and at full throttle I only get around 2200 rpm but I guess your supposed to get 2500 when you go full throttle what rpm do yo reach, that’s fully tanked down maybe that matters? So where are you at anchor? I also have 7000 hours on mine not rebuilt! But they run strong and smooth and have been very well cared for by all previous owners, since 1976 same as yours I would love a pick I’m not sure if you can do that on this forum

Yes, everything I have seen 2500rpm is about right. My boat has only been out a few times since I have owned her, still learning it haven't pushed hard. Got her just over 10kt less than 2200 and Im at hull speed so therewas no reason to put more fuel in.

Im taking it up the Gorge next month. Will have more fuel and full water tanks with 10 people. Boat should be over 45k at that point so I will let you know how it does.

Where do you have yours?

My boat is my avatar on my profile. I too can not see how to attach pictures.

Ok very interesting, I’m moored in Seattle! Keep in touch if I head down to Portland I can message you

Sounds great! Im looking at doing the San Juan's next year I do the same.

Happy boating!

For sure if you make it up this way maybe for the blue water rendezvous, and then the San Juan islands

Hi, I am late to this thread. I own the Puffin since 2021 and have had her up in Blaine. I am constantly learning more about her.

2 Lehman 120's, not sure about props. We cruise at ~1200-1300 rpm. Sips fuel (2.5 GPH total and we do about 7 knots over water. I could push it to 1800 and get another knot and burn 4 GPH.

The description above is 100% - rock solid hull, leaky teak decks and fiber on ply house. I had the fore deck ripped out and glasses last year. Love it!

Happy boating!

CananoJoe good to hear from the Puffin, I would love to rendezvous one day I know I’ll be up to the San Juan in July this year and there is a Bluewater Tyanna rendezvous in May probably in Poulsbo if you would have any interest ? I have looked at the listing add for your boat and really like the stabilizers that are installed, I think mine may have had them at one point. Have you used them much?

Cool, I will post summer plans when I have them.

Yes, I use the stabilizers as soon as there is more than 5 degrees roll. That's when I just deploy the bars without the paravanes. They help a bit, maybe dampen a 7 degree role to 4 or 5. Towards 10 I put the fish in. I did track in the Frazier river outflow that with the paravanes reduces a 20 degree role to 10.

I am frequently single handled, so retrieving them can be tough. I need to add retrieval line (should be easy) and a downhaul (more work).

Back
Top Bottom