Thought I'd better join, just bought a project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RodS

Hi all, new to the forum though I have been reading all the Finn 8 stuff for a while. I am located in Australia. I just bought a Finn 8 and got her home last week. She's a bit of a project so I am hunting for any and all information on her. She's got WA HIN plates on her and a WA skippers permit sticker dated 2013 so must have been over there before finding her way to Victoria. No name, just FINN on the side of the cabin. Anyway, cheers to you all and happy boating.
Rod
20240401_160924.jpg

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your new boat.

Welcome to the site.
Congrats on your project.

Been working on mine for 2 years now.
I would work on major projects in the spring then splash for the remainder of the summer. It been an amazing journey. I hope you have similar experiences.

That looks super rad! Did you mean Washington State USA is where she came from?? That is so neat, that's where I live 😁 cheers!

That looks super rad! Did you mean Washington State USA is where she came from?? That is so neat, that's where I live 😁 cheers!
Not Washington State, no, Western Australia. That's about 4000km from where I live on the East coast of Australia so the little boat has done some travelling!

Reactions: PNW
Not Washington State, no, Western Australia. That's about 4000km from where I live on the East coast of Australia so the little boat has done some travelling!
Oh roger that. Very cool! I love seeing unique boats with character.

That looks like a super cool boat. Congratulations!

Hi all, new to the forum though I have been reading all the Finn 8 stuff for a while. I am located in Australia. I just bought a Finn 8 and got her home last week. She's a bit of a project so I am hunting for any and all information on her. She's got WA HIN plates on her and a WA skippers permit sticker dated 2013 so must have been over there before finding her way to Victoria. No name, just FINN on the side of the cabin. Anyway, cheers to you all and happy boating.
RodView attachment 153265
Hi Rod,
What a cool looking boat! What's it got for an engine?

Hi Landlocked, it's got a 30 hp Lombardini LDW 1503 of uncertain status in it right now. The guy who was doing the boat up before I bought it had installed the engine but not hooked anything up, fuel, water, instruments, etc. It is claimed to have been running before it was installed. They originally came out with a BMW engine from what I can gather. Plan for this month is to take the motor and fuel tank out for a thorough clean and inspection. I'll bench test the motor while it's out (if it runs). I'll clean and paint the bilge and replace all the hoses and fittings in there while I am at it. If this motor turns out to be good I've made a good purchase, if not it'll be a real set back so fingers crossed it runs at least!
Screenshot_20240405_165708_Facebook.jpg

Wow, they shoehorned that thing in real tight...

All the best!

It's gong to be fun trying to get it all tidied up, that's for sure. I also need to try and squeeze a water lock in the exhaust there as well.

I love that your engine is white. Please stick with that.

1000000078.jpg

Short story: I had my Kubota repainted white. While cruising along I noted a minor spot of pink coolant. Had my engine been any other color I doubt I would have seen it. I am a huge advocate for white machinery.

Good luck with your Finn.

I love that your engine is white. Please stick with that.

View attachment 154115

Short story: I had my Kubota repainted white. While cruising along I noted a minor spot of pink coolant. Had my engine been any other color I doubt I would have seen it. I am a huge advocate for white machinery.

Good luck with your Finn.
Thanks Janice, the engine will be white or the sort of off white grey is it currently. Same like you, I like the lighter colour for spotting leaks. Makes sense. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom