Thoughts on my “post Loop” idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
My admiral and I are 75% finished with the GreatLoop. If all goes as expected, we will be in our home port of Guntersville, Alabama on the Tennessee River by mid December. We are considering a myriad of ideas on what we do once finished, however another loop or more likely, continued long-term cruising, is probably in store.
If any of you follow the loop, you are aware of the lock closures that occurred on June 1 just south of Chicago that were scheduled to open again on October 1. There was a delay however, I was very skeptical of such a long term and intricate project finishing on time. They did not finish on schedule however there was only a five day delay, which we are thankful for.
We have enjoyed the west coast of the Michigan mainland on our way south, and opted to not be in a hurry to get into the middle large number of boats waiting for the locks to open. That has allowed me time to get projects done on the boat, including the Brightwork on our GB 42. It wasn’t the first time I’ve had this realization, however it hit me hard how much I enjoy doing it. Until the other day I’d thought for a while that the ideas of continuing to cruise, or going into “ the Brightwork business” were mutually exclusive, but then I had this thought. “ What if I went into the Brightwork business while we also continued boating?” What if we were an “ almost full time live aboard Brightwork couple”?
The most crucial step of getting my wife’s approval went well. Without going into the boring minutiae I’ll share my business plan. I ask each of you to share thoughts and questions if you don’t mind.
I’ve been blessed to have had a rewarding career. This isn’t about the money. It’s about combining and utilizing my career skill set with my Brightwork experience. Ironically they span almost the same number of years.
I.
1. Begin by contacting Yacht Clubs and Marinas approximately 90 days prior to our desired timeline of being in their area and letting them know of my plan. The following would differ slightly with the two, but with the yacht clubs I get in touch with a couple of Board members either by phone or email and share:,
a. A quick bio of my business career, boating credentials, and Brightwork experience.
B. Share my “ revelation “ that we could continue cruising AND do something I’m good at and passionate about”.
C. Offer that if at the conclusion of their agenda but before adjoining they would allow me a 10 minute Zoom or Go To Meeting overview with the Board, a round of drinks is on me. I would then share the following basics and also offer to send some printed material for the Bulletin board that every Yacht Club has.
2. Provide dates I plan to be in their harbor.
3. Tell them I’m not likely to stop for less than two projects, and depending upon project(s) size would not likely take on more than three, because our desire is to only stop in areas with which as Loopers we desire to visit again, but we have no desire to linger beyond a month.
4. Have numerous slides and videos available for visuals.
5. Make them aware that numerous references from a skill set, personal professionalism, and dependability are readily available.
6. Depending upon my assessment of initial interest and if needed I inquire of the board how many if any of them have Brightwork needing attention, and offer a 20% discount should “ the current leaders of the club” utilize me. I would share the various products I’ve used and make them aware I’m happy to discuss pro/cons/pricing of each at the proper time with them or interested members.
7. Before they ask, I make them aware that I have and will share prior to booking and arrival my adequate insurance coverage for such work.
8. I try and obtain primary and secondary contact’s information in order to move forward.
II. Other potential channels
1. If 2/3 boats don’t surface quickly I let them know I’m going to contact local marinas and boatyards.
2. Boatyards may or may not have talented Brightwork people on staff. I begin however my going over:
A. My insurance coverage
B. My willingness to factor outside vendor business into the pricing so as to give them financial incentive,
C. The impact docking cost has on my pricing, and that reduced or free slip and use of clean shoreside showers/facilities are key, which if traction was gained with private clubs as mentioned in section I, I do so with them as well.
III. Marketing.
A. I’m blessed to have a good friend who is confident in me/ my ability/my professional history. I’m confident in his abilities to help me set up. A couple of years ago he sold his advertising company and began buying some marinas and brokering boats to fulfill his passion. He had a few clients one of which was Island Packet Yachts, that negotiated with both he and the buying entity, the desire to continue with him on a contract basis.
a. Printed materials mentioned in I. above.
b. An interactive website that includes
aa. Pictures with descriptive captions of my work.
bb. Videos doing the same.
cc. Real time calendar showing dates and expected completion times for on current and pending projects.
dd. Develop and maintain a social media presence if need be. Currently I’m not convinced the small critical mass of business needed for success warrants
these actions, but they are available if so.

There’s more detail I could share, but then I’d be assuming some of you actually join me in finding this idea interesting?.
As stated earlier I hope to get feedback and questions from the many of you I have so much respect for.

Thanks in advance,
Rod Holland

Sent from my iPad

You'll never know unless you try.

Any idea how many people do their own brightwork vs hire it out?

I wouldn't worry about the boundary conditions you've placed (need two but no more than three; looking for a free slip, etc.).

Folks will want an idea of why you're the best (process and products you use); and whether they can afford you. Personally, I decided to encapsulate all my brightwork in fiberglass. Only exterior wood I have is if someone drops a toothpick on deck.

It may take a couple seasons to build your clientele. Some sort of social media presence might help.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peter.

You're making it sound like work.

The condition of your own brightwork could be your biggest calling card.
Before and after pictures, portfolio and references.
I find people either love to take care of their brightwork or they dread it. I need to get on mine soon.

I too keep contemplating how I could work and travel/explore by boat at the same time.

I thought maybe getting my foot in the door at one of the chain marinas may allow me to transfer seasonally to alternate locations.

I knew several liveaboards back in the '70s & '80s that did exactly that. I helped them on occasion. They had a dedicated following along the east coast.
Sadly those journeymen are few and far between these days.

I do my own brightwork, but it is a time / weather commitment struggle that is challenging. The marina is way too expensive for my 40 yr old boat. I don't have my car detailed either, out of principle, lol. A traveling artist is a great idea.
Good luck, maybe see you on the east coast?

I spent several decades in the Zen experience of caring for the extensive brightwork on my woodie GB42 (probably even more than your 1978 model) and its mechanicals and cannot imagine having time beyond those tasks to handle the idea of doing somebody else's brightwork too.

There are plenty of clubs and marinas which have noise dust rules which could put a crimp in your plan.

I imagine most people who would consider having another person do their exterior brightwork already have that person.

Then there is the vanishing desire for exterior brightwork - I am an example.

All that said, I wish you the best of luck.

My response is along the lines of "What do you have to lose?" If you can get the insurance and the customers and you would not dramatically increase your cost of cruising then go for it. Good luck!

Yacht clubs and corporate Marinas would probably not be my initial prospects. I would think they might have the most restrictions and be difficult to deal with. They will be focused on increased liability if they endorse or promote your services. Yards might be fertile ground but they may be looking for a more stable contractor. Might take some time and effort but given this is not a capital intensive venture if you have the time and energy and enjoy working for others why not?

Interesting idea but in my mind too complicated. If you don't "need" the income and it's not a must. My suggestion is keep your own boat pristine, have a couple signs professionally made advertising your briightwork service and hang them from the rails of your boat. Go cruising with a open schedule and see what comes your way. Your boat, if your work is as good as you profess will be a great visual example of your abilities.

I did something similar when we cruised the pacific in the early 90's, except it was marine refrigeration. Word seemed to travel fast and I at times found I was working on refrigerators more than I was cruising.
Hollywood

You make a great point

Yes. I have a tendency to do that. ? the complications though in some ways are what feed my need to be creating business related ideas then putting them into execution. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying it that way though to see if I really enjoy doing other peoples boats before I invest in websites Facebook pages, etc.

I would definitely show your work, online would be good.

Work some boat shows, broker's, and Marina's. Definitely have a large placard showing your work on your boat.

Target GB groups and forums. I would love to find someone better than me to do my brightwork.

It seems to me that purveyors of brightwork differentiate themselves only based upon price, quality and reliability (they get it done when they say they get it done), and on the west coast, despite a large number of brightwork guys, it isn't easy to find good quality at a good price by someone that will get it done when he says he will. Most guys are hired based on word of mouth, and most owners want to stick with a good guy once they find him. If you intend to provide your services as you travel port to port, you will have trouble establishing a reputation, and you won't be able to offer future service. That probably leaves you with low-priced one-time projects, like a broker wanting to get a boat into at least presentable condition.

We all have different skills

I appreciate your response, and you are certainly one who’s taken the time to reply to me numerous times. I had that immediate thought followed by the thought on how we all have different talents. Even within “boat things”, some of excel in very different areas. It probably comes back to where we have at least some confidence initially. I always viewed Brightwork and Yvonne would repair to a lesser degree as my area of enjoyment, which I suspect is much attributed to my confidence level. I’m not mechanically minded, never have been, nor will be, plus I never had that mentor in those areas to learn from. I suppose I could have gone on a quest to find such, but maybe because I didn’t want to appear stupid in front of someone so knowledgeable I didn’t even try. it’s easy at this stage of life to look back and think maybe I should half but then I wouldn’t be giving myself at least a bit of credit and the fact that it is only in retirement where I have so many less responsibilities I can devote more time to these things. For many years, that mechanical or electrical issue on the boat resulted in my writing a check to the solution provider and justifying it by I’m busy being a provider, father, Christian, husband, etc.
I don’t think of my abilities as anything anyone couldn’t accomplish with patience and desire to get better. I have been drawn to properly maintained Brightwork, since I stepped on my wife’s family’s boat and college. I didn’t know a bow from a Sturm, but I knew I liked Brightwork. Probably one of the biggest motivators to me was my very first Brightwork project on my 19 foot wooden sloop. I bought with my very first Christmas bonus. I look back on it now and it is so humorous. This was well before the age of the Internet. I had yet to order a book about the art of Brightwork. However, after this initial catastrophe, I found one and did so. I was determined to have beautiful handrails and hatchboards, so I go to the box store buy the cheapest varnish I can find, a bit of sandpaper, maybe a tack cloth, although I doubt it, and a few cheap brushes. I remember thinking it looks pretty good. Not great but pretty good after my quick sanding and two coats of cheap varnish. A month later, I realized I had no clue what I was doing. Disappointed in myself, I was determined to figure this out.
41 years later, I’m still at it. And still trying to get better at it as well. ?

Reply to MyTraveler

You offer many valid points and I appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time. I disagree however that my approach won’t lend itself to repeat business. I foresee just the opposite.

As stated in my OP, We will plan to stay in a port no more than a month, provided I’ve lined up some work in the next one. It’s likely just word of mouth on the dock, and from owner/client to his buddies will generate either near term opportunity if our schedule allows, or them deciding they can let bad Brightwork go one more year until I can come back. If that doesn’t happen, I bet that the “pleased with my work and my on time professional execution of the project owner” will have him either asking me about ongoing annual maintenance, or will agree when I remind him how important that is to maximize the investment he just made, that he should schedule me then.

With our desire to “keep moving” month to month, it’s not going to take much business to support that, especially if successful with the yearly maintenance part.

Back
Top Bottom