Trip line when on the hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Like many I've lost an anchor and don't wish to lose another one. I have been seriously considering using a trip line on a regular basis. Just finished reading an article in Pacific Yachting (2016) by an author who had also lost an expensive anchor and had been using a trip line the majority of the time.

So do any of you use a trip line a lot?

I carry a trip line and have used it a few times with a bouy. But the reality for us is that it's not worth the trouble weighed against the risk of fouling the anchor, which has happened just a couple times in the last 40 years and I've been able to pull free. Others will disagree, I'm sure.

I base it on location....some areas are more prone to snags, natural or man-made.

Never had a need over here on the right coast and in the islands. The vast majority of the time we are anchored in less that 10 feet of water and in areas where there is little chance of snagging.

In fact, if I remember correctly, they ask you not to buoy your anchor in Bahamian anchorages so as not to snag other boats! Plus in the islands you can snorkel your anchor or dinghy over it to see that it is clear.

For example check out at the 1:20 mark on this!

Last edited:
I've heard people say a trip line and buoy won't get fouled in your prop because a boat never goes directly over its anchor when the tide or wind shifts. Our nylon rode has a bunch of blue bottom paint rubbed into it. The only way that could happen is if it went directly over the anchor, so the trip line would probably have gotten caught up in the prop.

We got a line in our prop on BC's central coast and I tried to dive to clear it. As soon as my chest hit the c-c-cold water I couldn't get enough air in my lungs to do it.

I got some good advice from the owner of a store in Prince Rupert when we first started boating. I shared a bunch of information I'd learned about SHH (super high holding) anchors. He listened patiently, nodded at a pile of Lewmar Claws in the corner and said, "Yeah, well, I get a lot of repeat customers".

As much as I want a Sarca Excel, we'll probably get a claw several sizes 'too big' as a storm anchor.

Last edited:
To be clear, I have only done this once, but let's say you are consistent enough in your anchoring depths that you could attach a trip line to your anchor rode which would be clear of the water and within your reach when you have retrieved your rode to the up-and-down position. At this point, options are to tie in some more line to enable you to slack the rode in order to maneuver the boat to better enable dragging the anchor from under an obstruction or to simply wind the trip line around a gypsy and haul away. In practice when anchoring, depending on your arrangement for letting go, this trip line would possibly need to be separately coiled and tended over the side until time to zip tie it to the rode. Admittedly a bit of extra work, but no buoy is involved.

......nodded at a pile of Lewmar Claws in the corner and said, "Yeah, well, I get a lot of repeat customers".

Lewmar claws are not well-loved here and probably get more negative comments than any other anchor. But, I wouldn't trade mine (or throw it in a corner). My 66 lb with 3/8 all-chain rode sets on the first time, 3:1 scope is usual, and never drags. Mostly mud bottom anchoring, PNW, BC and SE AK. I have been in big blows at 6:1 and it has never failed me, even in near-gale conditions. Twenty years with this hook and I love it. The critics can howl away.:whistling:

I always use a trip line but as mentioned it’s probably situational. The Tennessee river anchorages are filled with tree stumps from the clearing of the land before flooding with the lock and dam systems.
The St. john’s river used to be our cruising area and I can remember winching up a nice size cypress tree. Mostly mud bottoms though.
As mentioned Bahamas no problem, watch the anchor drop and settle into the sand, dive down and help bury it, no problem. :)

Attachments

• 0E9653D6-6149-4A3B-A572-276A728743CB.jpg
    0E9653D6-6149-4A3B-A572-276A728743CB.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom