What size windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke1

I recently bought a 42 main ship trawler 1984 would like to know what size windlass to buy type and size , the boat didn’t come with one , and this is my first time owning a boat this big thanks

I think this is one where you work backwards..where are you going to be anchoring, how deep, what will your ground tackle be--size anchor and amount and size of chain that will make you comfortable in most/all situations. Then the weight you will be using the windlass to pull up. I would then get one a little larger than whatever I calculated...just because bigger is better..the American Way...right?

Since never had a windlass on the boat you also need to be mindful as to what you are attaching the windlass to...that structure has to be robust enough to hold the windlass down.

Ken above is correct, start with the anchor, then the rode and then look for a windlass that will handle it.

There are lots and lots of opinions on anchors and rodes, so I will give you mine. A 42' boat needs a substantial anchor, 50 lbs and one of the newer style Rocnas, Spades, Manson Supremes, etc. Select one with or without a hoop depending on your bow pulpit.

These anchors have an ultimate holding power of up to 5,000 lbs. If you really expect to anchor in rough conditions then I would select a chain to match, perhaps a 3/8" high tensile chain which has a maximum working load of about 5.000 lbs which matches the anchor holding.

If you only plan to anchor in good weather than you can get by with a 30-40 # anchor with 5/16" high tensile chain.

Pick the length of rode to suit your anchoring locations. At a minimum I would have 7 times the maximum water depth that you may anchor in.

Once you select the chain then you have two types of windlasses to consider: horizontal or vertical. Which one depends on your pulpit and where you plan to bolt it down. I like the horizontal ones as you can use the primary side with chain and rope with the other side.

Then pick a windlass that can handle your anchor and rode weight and a gypsy (the part that grabs the chain to pull it up) that matches your chain.

David

Last edited:
I think this is one where you work backwards..where are you going to be anchoring, how deep, what will your ground tackle be--size anchor and amount and size of chain that will make you comfortable in most/all situations. Then the weight you will be using the windlass to pull up. I would then get one a little larger than whatever I calculated...just because bigger is better..the American Way...right?

Since never had a windlass on the boat you also need to be mindful as to what you are attaching the windlass to...that structure has to be robust enough to hold the windlass down.
Huge support for the last statement. You can buy a big, bad windlass that far exceeds the structural capabilities of the surrounding deck area. Therefore you will need to either keep this in mind, or beef up the area where you are mounting it. That said, don't undersize anything.

Lewmar, Maxwell and Lofrans. Lofrans looks more rugged, but ???.

David

Thank u what brand do u recommend for the windlass
I'm just completing the installation of a Maxwell RC12HD, so no operational feedback to offer. However, initial impressions are that the unit was packed very well, appears to be of exceptional quality and has very strong performance specifications. They also make a non-HD model that will save you some money and may be more appropriate for your boat. One aspect of the RC12HD that I really like is that it handles and feeds both chain and rode at 59 feet per minute with a max / continuous pull specs of 4,000 / 600 lbs.

I've got a Maxwell HRC10-8 on my boat (slightly smaller than the boat in question here). It's plenty powerful for any reasonable size ground tackle on this size boat and it has worked flawlessly for about 5 years since I installed it.

Contact the windless manufacturer and tell them your ground tackle. They will help size your windless. I replaced mine with a lewmar V3 and love it. 55# Rocna with all chain.

Another top windlass brand is Muir, we just went though the selection process and choose Muir Cheetah 2500 horizontal (44 ft MT, 55#, 3/8 200ft) (Imtra, and see there site for sizing charts) Another consideration is 12V or 24V. Twenty-four allows for lighter wire and gives somewhat better performance. We take power (24V) off forward battery bank dedicated (but not so much anymore) to bow thruster.

I recently bought a 42 main ship trawler 1984 would like to know what size windlass to buy type and size , the boat didn’t come with one , and this is my first time owning a boat this big thanks

Here was my choice for a similar vessel.

New Lewmar V3 Windlass

AND

Secured for the “big blow” & windlass project update.

This third post discusses my observations about GYPSY model and CHAIN size. Related.
Project Day

Good luck...

If there is NO windlass now on your boat, the size and depth of the anchor locker you have requires some study. The links above also detail deficiencies in the decking where your windlass will be mounted, and some ideas of how to overcome the deficiencies.

When weighing anchor on our MS 390, my Admiral goes up forward to pull chain backwards in the rode locker. Chain "cones" up under the windlass, and we find every 10-15 feet or so, needs to be "pulled aft" in the locker to make room for more chain to come up and drop into the locker. Otherwise, the "cone" of chain blocks more chain to come down into the locker.

If I was single handled, I would have to leave the helm to use the foot switches at the bow to do what my Admiral does. There are therefore some weather and/or current situations when I would be unable to retrieve the anchor safely. I would have to WAIT for those conditions to improve to safely weigh anchor and get underway again.

If you have no windlass now, the electrical requirements and design will require your attention.
Windlasses require less current than bow thrusters, but they still require a healthy current load, and so conductor size and distance from the battery bank needs to be considered.

Last edited:
I'm just completing the installation of a Maxwell RC12HD, so no operational feedback to offer. However, initial impressions are that the unit was packed very well, appears to be of exceptional quality and has very strong performance specifications. They also make a non-HD model that will save you some money and may be more appropriate for your boat. One aspect of the RC12HD that I really like is that it handles and feeds both chain and rode at 59 feet per minute with a max / continuous pull specs of 4,000 / 600 lbs.
I concur with SeaLandSky!

Back
Top Bottom