1978 GB42 transom sanding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcdunbar

Good Afternoon-

About 3 years ago I refinished the transom on my GB 42 and while it was a bear at the time it sure does look good. Currently I have about 8 coats of interlux perfection and for the most part it's holding up pretty well. However, the varnish in the v-grooves is starting to crack a bit and now wondering what might be the best way to sand between the grooves. I was thinking of using a dremmel to get at the bottom of the V and then sanding w 120 or with a sanding block of some sort to smooth everything out after the dremmel tool-

So... does anybody have any good ideas on the best, or better, way to accomplish this task? After I get all the V grooves sanded I'll 220 the whole thing and then put on another coat of interlux or, maybe even Awlwood. I have recently started using Awlwood on other parts of the boat with pretty good success.

Much thanks in advance-
David

Good Afternoon-

About 3 years ago I refinished the transom on my GB 42 and while it was a bear at the time it sure does look good. Currently I have about 8 coats of interlux perfection and for the most part it's holding up pretty well. However, the varnish in the v-grooves is starting to crack a bit and now wondering what might be the best way to sand between the grooves. I was thinking of using a dremmel to get at the bottom of the V and then sanding w 120 or with a sanding block of some sort to smooth everything out after the dremmel tool-

So... does anybody have any good ideas on the best, or better, way to accomplish this task? After I get all the V grooves sanded I'll 220 the whole thing and then put on another coat of interlux or, maybe even Awlwood. I have recently started using Awlwood on other parts of the boat with pretty good success.

Much thanks in advance-
David

cut a block to match the groove angles on a table saw, apply sticky back sandpaper to the block.. sand the groove.
HOPLLYWOOD

How big are these V grooves? It will be very difficult to use a Dremel tool and not go too far in places. Maybe take a wide putty knife and use PSA sand paper on the blade.

THanks for all the tips! I like the tungsten scraper and the wood block idea. This is going to be FUN!

David

:thumb:
Much better than sandpaper, especially if that is the only place your varnish is letting go.
Control the scraper so you don't damage any of the other surfaces. Then a light sanding of the whole area, a few coats that go only where you have scraped to bare wood, a final coat or 2 on the whole works and enjoy for another few years.

THanks for all the tips! I like the tungsten scraper and the wood block idea. This is going to be FUN!

David

If you are going to use a scraper, any scraper, go an inch or two at a time. The scraper WILL jump the groove and gauge the plank below or above. You can sand the gauge but you won't get it all and when you varnish you will have a nice dark line to remember the day by. I know all of this because....well, you know.

And for the truly fastidious, with the transom restored to varnished perfection, consider a flap canvas cover for when the boat is not being used, to keep it that way.

Thankfully our new boat doesn’t have any varnish.

Thankfully our new boat doesn’t have any varnish.
Nor does ours, save for teak port/stbd nav light backing plates,and three "decorative" timber strips,about 1/2" square and 1ft long,near them. Why oh why? But,I admire well varnished or oiled teak on someone else`s boat.

Back
Top Bottom