2003 Mainship 430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XBoater

Hi all,

We are looking at a 2003 Mainship 430. It currently has a 16kw Yanmar genset. I have not seen that this model before. The current owner said it was installed in the boat when purchased. It does not seem like it fits and I believe it is a replacement. Did this come as an upgrade or is it a replacement.

Also, I am looking into upgrading the original AC units and at least the rear cabin with a 12v unit and upgrade the batteries to lithium (3, 8D batteries). Any recommendation on a company familiar with this type of work in Tampa (Palmetto) area?

What are people getting for a WOT speed?

Thanks

16KW Genset on a 43' boat? Seems awfully excessive to me, unless it was installed as a get home engine? Assuming you have standard AC/DC equipment, that boat would have half the KW for it's needs.

Our prior boat was a 43' Bluesea Trawler with an 8KW Northern Lights, Which far exceeded our needs for AC purposes, all the while suppling a constant DC charge in the process to all banks. .

Agree that 16 is a whole lot of kilowatts for most any recreational boat under 50 feet, and would still be way plenty, even for bigger boats. Must have been a retrofit for some reason. The fact that it doesn't look right as installed would raise some serious concerns for me, such as, what other amateur jobs did the previous owner(s) leave for someone else to figure out?

Our 2003 430 came with an 8KW Kohler. It's more than enough to power everything, including AC. It's been a while since I've done wide open throttle but I seem to remember about 21 knots or so. That's with twin 370 HP Yanmars.

I think the Kohler 8KW was The MS Std. Not sure if any upgrades were avail if ordered from factory.
Here's one that sold listing the std gen
https://dimillosyachtsales.com/yachts/2003-mainship-430-trawler-2/

That said... the usual complaint on MS is there isnt even room for some basic maint / part replacement w/o cutting hatches. I dont know how one would get one out and another in as a retro fit???

I don't see the need. I have a friend with a Meridian 411. 4 AC's and an 11Kw. With a stove and 2 AC's we have an 8Kw. I would think it would be an 8Kw standard and an 11Kw as an upgrade for the 430. I just can't see a 16Kw.

A lot of capacity, probably don't need that much but whatever..

If it says Yanmar on it, it is good.

pete

Mas-Power

Our 2007 Mainship 430 Pilot came with a 16KW Mas-Power (16M) generator, driven by a Yanmar model number 3TNV84T. This has been a great engine, I have never had any issues with it at all. It may be more power than you need, particularly at night but in South Florida with all 3 A/C units running and all electric cooking it has served us well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom