2x Odyssey G24 for Windlass/Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gplangham

Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42
Another battery question for the experienced,
I'm thinking of using 2 x Group 24 batteries in parallel that have 840 CCA and 75 Ah (20 hr) each.
Plan is to power my 1500W Tigres windlass or my Sleipner bow thruster, but not at the same time. Thruster req is 1425 CCA, nominal 750.
They will be connected connected to another bank via Blue Sea DC to DC charger.
Am I crazy? I do see folks leaning toward the G31 Odyssey Extreme, but I like the smaller footprint and weight as I'm putting them forward in my 42' Trawler.

Best,
Jason

I don't think you're crazy. I use a pair of Optima Red Top batteries for my forward bank which has similar use. They're 850 CCA and 50 ah IIRC. They've given good service for 4 years.

In this application CCA is much more important than AH.

Am I crazy? I do see folks leaning toward the G31 Odyssey Extreme, but I like the smaller footprint and weight as I'm putting them forward in my 42' Trawler.

I don't think you're crazy, but were it me -- assuming space available -- I'd go with the G31 Extremes. Even better CCA, higher Ah. Your boat won't notice the weight difference. YOU might, when you're doing the install... but that's a one-time-shot... easily erased with a congratulatory beverage afterwards.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom