Above water line hull paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWPederson

Vessel Make
1970 Grand Banks 32
I'm curious, has anyone with a GB painted the area between the rub rail and the lower teak railing a color other than white?

I just purchased a 1970 GB 32. Beautiful boat. She has kelly green canvas on her. With the white hull and white cabin, my wife mentioned that it seemed like a large amount of white without anything to break it up. I was thinking that when I pull her next spring for hull paint, I would paint the area from the lower teak rail to the rub rail in a darker kelly green and still have the hull the GB white with the boot stripe being red. Thoughts? Anyone have pictures of their boats with paint similar to that? Below are a couple of pics I modified with Photoshop to give me a bit of an idea. My apologies if this is your boat.

Grand Banks green band.jpeg
Grand Banks green band 2.jpeg

While not a GB, I have painted the same area on my boat. I recommend that you do not use a one part epoxy paint. Such paints are fine for a boot stripe but won’t hold up for large areas.

Upgrade at least to a two part epoxy or go with Axel Seal.

When I was a commercial fisherman, green, anywhere on the hull was considered a bad luck color. It makes the vessel want to seek the deep green. While I can't say I believed it, I never used green on a boat or ship.
There were other superstitions I believed because they bit me.

It depends on what paint is on the hull now. You can’t paint with 2 part over 1 part because the solvents in the 2 part is so strong.

It is hard to tell the current condition of the hull. If you give it a good sanding and hit the entire hull with something easy to use and bullet proof like Pettit Easy Prime, you can top coat with anything.

After thinking about it, I am not sure that I would do it. I am somewhat a traditionalist and I think that the white hull looks good. But it is your boat…

Back
Top Bottom