Aft Anchor type and size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As with any discussion regarding anchors, you are opening a can of worms. I won't get into it but I will offer a little comment which pertains to me.

I rarely use an aft anchor so I literally know almost nothing about aft anchoring. However, I do quite a bit of anchoring using a conventional bow anchor. I may be right or I may be wrong but my aft anchor is my backup bow anchor. It may be a bit of overkill for an aft anchor but if I lose my main bow anchor it is a comfort to know I have a spare.

pete

I have an FX23 for my stern with 15ft of chain.
Capture.JPG

I haven’t seen stern anchors used in the PNW for the purpose the OP describes (to keep the boat from spinning when it gets crowded). The problem with doing that in our relatively deep anchorages (relative to Florida etc) is that the other boats turn together in a wide circle. If your boat doesn’t swing similarly, there could be a merger.

Based upon hundreds of PNW anchor sets, I agree :thumb:

As with any discussion regarding anchors, you are opening a can of worms. I won't get into it but I will offer a little comment which pertains to me.

I rarely use an aft anchor so I literally know almost nothing about aft anchoring. However, I do quite a bit of anchoring using a conventional bow anchor. I may be right or I may be wrong but my aft anchor is my backup bow anchor. It may be a bit of overkill for an aft anchor but if I lose my main bow anchor it is a comfort to know I have a spare.

pete

Having 1 anchor serve the job of stern and spare bower is definitely reasonable. If you anchor in places where setting a stern or other second anchor is more frequent, then it might make sense to separate the the job and have a third. That would give 1 that's smaller and easily handled, and 1 that's bigger to make a good backup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom