Aftercooler maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For decades I’ve waited until I’ve accumulated enough loads before starting the genset. Several prior boats had sufficient ventilation that AC needs were minimal, being sailboats no power hungry stabilization required, RO units were DC and highly efficient. Between wind and solar genset went on ~once a month and we scrambled to get to a 70-80% load. Even so a run of an hour or so occurred. Maintenance was done by time between not hours on.

Now have SeaKeeper. Ventilation isn’t as good as no dorades supplying the staterooms. But port lights are sufficient. RO unit is high output AC. Have frig and two freezers. Have two house sized solar panels but no wind. So genset goes on with the SeaKeeper but unless AC is needed house loads are sufficiently covered at rest by the panels if it’s sunny. Batteries (lifelines) are at 100% soc before retiring for the night.

Do I need to do anything else? I have no direct way to measure genset load (do for the main engine). I think AC/SeaKeeper/ frig/freezers gets me to 65-75% load. Is that sufficient?

I’ve thought about putting in a sink. In the past my solar and wind generators would heat a resistor coil to get rid of unnecessary energy once batteries fully charged. Does this make sense to do on the current boat ? Once wound up the SeaKeeper doesn’t draw anything near the output of the genset plus alternator. It’s rare you need air conditioning while underway.
What would be “best practice ?”

I measure Genset load based on the ammeters in the panel. I try not to run it below 25% load and make sure it sees at least 50-70% on a fairly regular basis to get things good and hot, make sure the rings don't get carboned up, etc. They don't necessarily need hard runs all the time, but letting a gen idle along with almost no load can be an issue over time, especially if it doesn't get a periodic hard run to blow out the carbon and get some pressure on the rings.

Like Hippo, I worried about ensuring enough load on our Nordic Tug's genset. We had large enough solar capacity that almost everyday we would reach 100% charge without any assistance. We would only run the genset to heat water (mainly for showers), or, if recharging was needed due to fog or heavy continuous cloud cover. To achieve the necessary load, I would turn on everything AC current that I could (eg. switch fridge over to AC), turn on the water heater, and I would place 2 space heaters on deck (so as not to heat the boat interior) with the cords run out a door or window to provide extra load. I would use the AC amps gauge to judge "load" based on rated genset capacity. Our Tug did not have Air Con. Genset run time rarely exceeded 1 hour at a time, as the battery bank usually was never below 75% due to the ongoing solar charge.

Thread Drift!

THREAD DRIFT!

Hello all.

Please bear in mind that the subject of the thread is Aftercooler Maintenance. If your post is related to Aftercooler Maintenance, or CLOSELY related, feel free to post. If it is off on some wild tangent, please start a NEW THREAD, with the appropriate title.

This will make it easier for members in the future to search relevant threads for information.

Once again, the thread is about AFTERCOOLER MAINTENANCE!

Please be courteous of other members and stay on or close to topic!

Back
Top Bottom