Aging gracefully with a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As others have said, we gradually cut back on cruising to the point where the boat is mostly a dock condo. It runs often enough to keep the systems operational, but wear and tear on the drive train is minimal. I changed to synthetic oil to skip a year between changes. Also minimal wear and tear on the exterior from the elements on the Great Lakes. resealed the windows, painted frames and repainted non-skid and bright work when I detected the onset of aging (me). And finally, since it gets hauled every winter, the bottom is easy to attend to in small bites. I'm 74. In a few years someone is going to get a very nice older boat that's been maintained by an old nitpicker...

At age 78 we sold our 50 foot ketch, At age 80 we are buying a 34 foot trawler. At this point running out of money before we run out of life is unlikely so we’ll pay for the maintenance and repairs we can no longer ourselves.

The smallest boat you can comfortably handle and still have the amenities you want.

For us the 49 foot DeFever CPMY (sames as the 44 plus cockpit) met our list of criteria.

The 44 has an almost walk-in engine room with good access to all systems.

Too big for us today. But is was a great boat to live on for our three year cruise around the great loop.

Now we're looking more at the American Tug 34. From what I can tell, most of the one's in our price range will require a little updating (replace carpet with wood, add stern thruster, add washer/dryer, add extra length to the bow handrail to go past the door (like the new ones have), new electronics, flir, and so on). Unlike the AT 41, the 34 is easy on the stairs.

Not sure how easy it is to get in and out of the engine room on the 34, but we'll know more once we make the decision to move forward. Most likely, with my work schedule, it will be 2022.

We're closer to 80 than we are 70, so amenities and easy of handling are high priority.

I'm 66, and as with most, thought the maintenance was just part of ownership, and did as much as I could myself. Now, a little different. Unless I and 100% sure I can complete the job without losing 20 pounds of sweat (it S. Florida), and contorting like a circus act, someone else does it.

Additionally, finally came to the position that a boat does not have to be perfect. I know we all like them to be pristine and look brand new, that's not realistic. NO BOAT IS PERFECT!! In fact, I have one ding I keep to remind me that on the New River, Jungle Queen rules (she forced me into a dock one time coming around a bend by the River House).

When will I let it go? Don't know. I figure we got another 5-6 years before we decide to make our floating hotel room a hotel room on wheels.

We rented an RV last weekend, just as an experiment to see if it's something we'd ever want to do in our old(er) age, when I can no longer easily do that jump from the finger to the swim step. Granted, we had to "learn" the RV literally overnight. From trying to back that thing into a tight campsite to the final disgusting pump out (waste dump), it was far more of an ordeal than our boat. Let's just say the experiment taught us we're not RV people.

We decided to let our 44’ Gulfstar go this year after a dock neighbor wanted to buy it.
I’m on my way to 70 and many tasks are becoming more difficult. Plus my wife no longer feels comfortable dealing with the dock lines.
I’m keeping our 24’ Hydrasports CC and our 16’ flats boat for as long as I can. They’re
much easier to maintain and I can single hand them.

Having spent 40 yrs. of my working life teaching exercise physiology I can tell you that the old adage "use it or lose it" still holds true. One of the worst things with aging is a condition called SARCOPENIA. Look it up. It is the progressive loss of muscle tissue. This has multiple negative effects on the body both with physical and physiological responses. The number one most advertised type of drugs today all have to do with Type 2 Diabetes. This disease is directly correlated with obesity. 70% of adults in the U.S. are obese. As the ratio of fat to muscle changes we are more likely to suffer from this type of Diabetes. So resistance exercise is of the utmost importance. Any type of resistance is beneficial. Bands, body weight exercises such as push ups or dips or dumbell exercises. These should be done a minimum of 3 days a week and in good form with the repetitions fairly high in 15-20 range. Exercise is not a savings account. You will lose your conditioning if you don't keep it going at least 3-5 days a week. Most people are just too lazy to do this. Moderation is the key. "Moderation=Consistency=Lifetime." I just turned 80 and have been boating since age 35. We have lived aboard for 32 yrs. and have made 7 trips from California to Mexico over the last 30 yrs. We carry a full set of dumbells on the boat and wherever we are we manage to get off of the boat most days and walk for an hour then do resistance exercises. When you travel you have to learn to improvise. Two marinas we were at in Mexico had buildings with stairs. So for cardio work we would do stair repeats. So obviously there is no way to stop father time but you can sure slow him down a bit. In summary, It is not about quantity of life but more quality of life. To quote a Navy SeAL adage "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast". And another quote from the Teams: "The easy day was yesterday".

Much of this thread is mysticism, unfounded belief, and religion. That’s fine and have a good time as long as you don’t injure yourself. After seeing people with intracerebral hypertension from excessive vitamin intake (don’t eat polar bear liver either), neurologically impaired children from strict no cholesterol nor other fat intake, millions of dollars wasted on this supplement or that have little enthusiasm for the latest and greatest fad.

Dietary advice is in flux and always will be as our knowledge increases. Some things are consistent. BMI much above 30. Eat when you’re hungry not just for entertainment. But eat well and enjoy it. Absence of adequate intake of fruits, seeds, nuts and veggies is bad. Get your trace elements, vitamins, protein and healthy fats from your diet not supplements. Use a diversity of herbs and spices. Cumin, turmeric and others may actually be good for your brain. Eat fatty fish with low or no Hg levels. Love my North Sea kippers with a slice of raw onion.
The objection to GMOs has no rational basis. We’ve been breeding animals and plants since we gave up being hunter gatherers. Just a more educated way to do it. But factory farming (monoculture plantings and growing animals in contrived settings ) ain’t a good thing in my view.
We’re omnivores. So are most of the other great apes. That’s what our dentition is set up for. But our G.I. tract is set up for just occasional animal protein and a fairly bulky diet. Processed foods are foreign to our gut. We eat bread but mostly ancient grains and as least processed as possible.
We’re looking to spend more than most people do on a house on another boat. Gone to power due to age and prior injuries. You do what you can to mitigate risk but feel you can’t stop living and just exist. Have some money set up for the kids and grandkids. Feel I’ve met my obligations and you can’t spend it in the grave YOLO. Enjoy it.
Have no joy when in a slip. If it gets to that will bug out of boating. Understand that’s a personal decision and contrary to that of many people here. Felt the same about the motorcycles. When it was unsafe to ride and they just sat there it upset me to look at them and see that fine machinery not being used. Sold them all off. Someone else can now enjoy them.

I eat/drink soaked chia seeds instead of eating fish. Run three times a week with one being a long run, but not hard. Stretch on the other days. 60 years old and weigh 170 pounds...5 pounds more than in high school. No issues last time my blood was checked. Still haven't matured up. Embarking on a terribly complex hybrid alternative photography process incorporating 21st century techniques and the very first process to put photographs on paper from 1839. Think I'll keep on keeping on, thanks :thumb:

Last edited:
Whatta' group!

This was one of the best discussions, outside maintaining or living aboard, that I've enjoyed in years. Thanks for the frankness, good humor (humour for Canadian friends!) and obvious love of boating expressed by all. If I may boil my own age and experience into one reason I've kept Lady Sue for 35 years it is this: At age 87, I can afford to pay for almost every service necessary to keep her spiffy. I don't take her out without a mate, for fear of hurting someone else, and my wife doesn't mind; in fact she encourages me to get lost to the boatyard.

There is absolutely no sense in letting a boat deteriorate because of age, physical problems, or money considerations. I'd give it away if I had to because the value of the years is far beyond her worth in dollars.

Rest engines.
Jim Ferry

Ross is right. I have little discipline so do activities that serve that function. For instance today went fly fishing. Do it in a rowboat or hobie mirage pro fisher 360. The rowboat gets my arms, core and back. The Hobie my legs. Then did gardening and yard work. The up and down and carrying is good for you. Can’t tolerate on a stationary exercise machine. But love going for a bike ride.
Now chilling before planning out how we’re going to change part of basement into a man cave. Will need to think in a way I don’t usually do.
If you stay active, learning and engaged it can be great fun. I do try to close my circles on the I watch but that’s about the extent of stressing on it.

The smallest boat you can comfortably handle and still have the amenities you want.

For us the 49 foot DeFever CPMY (sames as the 44 plus cockpit) met our list of criteria.

The 44 has an almost walk-in engine room with good access to all systems.

Too big for us today. But is was a great boat to live on for our three year cruise around the great loop.

Now we're looking more at the American Tug 34. From what I can tell, most of the one's in our price range will require a little updating (replace carpet with wood, add stern thruster, add washer/dryer, add extra length to the bow handrail to go past the door (like the new ones have), new electronics, flir, and so on). Unlike the AT 41, the 34 is easy on the stairs.

Not sure how easy it is to get in and out of the engine room on the 34, but we'll know more once we make the decision to move forward. Most likely, with my work schedule, it will be 2022.

We're closer to 80 than we are 70, so amenities and easy of handling are high priority.

A. I own an AT34, now called a AT36. I am 78 years old
B. Per replace the carpet with wood, your choice but remember, the carpet contributes to the sound deadening and easier on your feet.
C. Unless you have sliding pilot house doors, I dont know of a way to extend the bow handrail passed the pilot house doors. If you find a way, please let me know. I have considered adding one more vertical support port and stbd and a cable but, my friendly SS fabricator, sold the business and the new owner doesn't seem interested in small job.
D. the washer/dryer, buy a venting dryer and vent it out into the cockpit. I have a non-venting dryer and it is not the best dryer.
E. I have a stationary Flir camera for back down and a moveable Flir camera looking fwd. It will help you spot 'brain dead' boater and unlighted nav. aids at dusk and if you venture out at night or fog. I have a large fold down display hanging from the overhead to the left of the original instrument panel.
F. new electronic, you might be looking at $30K. Keep me informed. I have put a 'wing' to the left of the current instrument panel and intend to take all the readings from VesselView and install analog gauges on the 'wing' and keep the read outs on theVesselView. Personal preference for analog gauges. I have 2 Raymarine displays, one dedicated to the radar and the other of charting. Also have an AIS
G. I put a self designed range hood (over kill) over the stove with lights and variable speed fan on a rheostat, vents outside. It goes a long way to get the cooking smells out and allows for ventilation without opening a window.
H. Added cabinets in various places on the boat, 3 in the saloon.
I. Hydraulic assisted lifting for the the berth. You will have LOTS of room for spare parts etc.
J. I think I have solved the major storage problem except for the little bitty hanging closet. Kirt said, you want more closet space, buy a bigger boat. LOL
K. Getting a wireless Dockmate installed for the bow and stern thruster and anchor windless.
L. Added a second depth sounder and second rudder indicator.
M. added a Fuel polisher
N. Dont forget to add the 3rd house battery.

Basically I "put a lot of perfume on the pig".
Sign on the ATOG user's group and you can see pictures of my cabinets efforts plus talk with other owners. LOTS of topics.

American Tug owner's are a proud lot and the folks at AT designed and built good boats.

Last edited:
I’m still quite active but arthritis is taking over making simple wrench work painful.
Don’t know of a work around for that.

I’m still quite active but arthritis is taking over making simple wrench work painful.
Don’t know of a work around for that.

I'm with you on the arthritis. A terrible thing and not a good way around it other than joint replacement despite what all the supplement and meds ads would like you to believe.

This captain is well past "gracefully aging"; at 78 with two metal hips and two crappy shoulders I enjoy the helm but not the engine room even though it is probably one of the most user-friendly ones I have owned (single engine 42 Nordic Tug). Beyond maintaining familiarity with everything in case of necessity, I am at the stage where I'm gonna have a good mechanic do it all and just enjoy the helm. Fortunately the pocket book can handle it.

we sold our 44' Swift Trawler when I was 77, not because of any health issue, we/I didn't have any problems. It was just we had gone everywhere we wanted to go (multiple times) and it was time for a new chapter. Bought a house in the mountains of Colorado

We rented an RV last weekend, just as an experiment to see if it's something we'd ever want to do in our old(er) age, when I can no longer easily do that jump from the finger to the swim step. Granted, we had to "learn" the RV literally overnight. From trying to back that thing into a tight campsite to the final disgusting pump out (waste dump), it was far more of an ordeal than our boat. Let's just say the experiment taught us we're not RV people.

...and you live in South Dakota.

You must love boats more than many of us here with easy access to big water.

85, and this is my last year of "cruising". We have sold our 25' C Dory (downsizing for years....). We are taking one last trip on the Erie Canal.

Will still continue to run a center console, but have to have much maintenance done by others because of health issues.

There does come a time--depending on how one's health continues.

I am 72 and I hire done almost everything I used to do myself. Fortunately I can afford it.

I hope to hang on till 80. 2 years to go

I am 76 years old, and bought my current boat a 1978 37 foot Canoe Cove sedan bridge with twin diesel engines, six years ago. It wasn't clean and shiny when I bought it, and it still isn't. I bought this model specifically because the engines were easy to reach, so I can check the oil, and it has a lower helm that is completely flat with the entry from the swim step through the transom gate. It also has an upper helm, where I prefer to drive, but figure the day is coming when I won’t be able to climb the ladder. I originally thought I would keep the boat until I was 80, but I am no longer fixed on any given age. It will just depend on when I don’t feel safe driving it anymore. The thing is, I don’t do all that maintenance myself. I can check the oil, and add oil as needed, but that’s about all I do. I pay other people to do all the rest of it. I am also quite comfortable with not having a spic and span clean and beautiful shiny boat. So, we will see what happens as my age creeps up. Maybe I will do more "dock cruising," although the scenery isn't great from the boathouse or is in. Hope You can find a solution that works for you

I have told the folks who work on my boat, 'At the dock, it's your job. Away from the dock, it's my job.'
Alas, I find it difficult to find the people to work on my boat.

Last edited:
I have had somebody wax and/or buff a boat I owned twice since 1986 when I bought a trawler. Once was very early on before I knew better, and the second time was last week when I knew better than to tempt the technical and equipment requirements of buffing out oxidized gelcoat. It turned out so nicely this time and I enjoyed watching the gentleman work (gosh, I love work) so much that I may do it again someday.:) I will likely continue to ease my way into letting others do some of the more difficult Yanmar engine maintenance items that I used to do on the Lehmans, like injector service and valve adjustment. I've already had a mechanic come change the timing belt and service the intercooler several years back as preventive measures.

In 2 weeks I plan to do the brightwork, some touch up painting and other stuff off the to do list. It never ends until you tire of doing it.
Then launch and spend a few weeks cruising. Rinse and repeat.

Sio-valley, I have to chuckle when folks talk about a refit.
IMO, the 'refit' never ends. The only difference is degree of maintenance you do and the size of check you write. LOL

Last edited:
Sell a Boat. just sold my GB @85 .And still looking for another smaller hey ho its a illness that has no cure.

I have had somebody wax and/or buff a boat I owned twice since 1986 when I bought a trawler. Once was very early on before I knew better, and the second time was last week when I knew better than to tempt the technical and equipment requirements of buffing out oxidized gelcoat. It turned out so nicely this time and I enjoyed watching the gentleman work (gosh, I love work) so much that I may do it again someday.:) I will likely continue to ease my way into letting others do some of the more difficult Yanmar engine maintenance items that I used to do on the Lehmans, like injector service and valve adjustment. I've already had a mechanic come change the timing belt and service the intercooler several years back as preventive measures.

I'm not afraid of work! In fact, I can lie down right next to it and fall asleep.

I may be foolish, but I was 64 in February 2021 and bought a 1973 Grand Banks 36 last November. This is my retirement boat. I have higher than average mechanical skills and have worked on boats for years. My retirement plan is to spend the next 3 years with the boat on the hard, repairing, replacing, modifying all systems to reduce future work and to modify the boat so that routine maintenance will be that much easier to accomplish. I have been a blue collar guy my whole life and can't afford a boat without doing the work myself. I sometimes think that I am deluding myself, but I know I have to try. I am sorry for those who approach that point where they aren't able to keep their boat. I bought my boat from a very nice couple who almost cried when I sailed her away. The boat had suffered a bit in recent years for the very reasons we are discussing. I have no opinion to offer, only best wishes for a happy resolution to your situation. Best of luck.

Best of luck, hopefully you are not being foolish!

In 2 weeks I plan to do the brightwork, some touch up painting and other stuff off the to do list. It never ends until you tire of doing it.
Then launch and spend a few weeks cruising. Rinse and repeat.

Once I got the varnish up to date on the GB42, I enjoyed the light work involved in refreshing it, especially during the 25 years the boat was kept under cover. Every little piece of that exterior teak was Epifaned to perfection, and I enjoyed the admiring comments everywhere we went. But then, guess what, I suddenly realized how old I was getting and that varnish work was suddenly boring (as was all the other extensive work). I had the boat sold and outa here in three weeks, and a week later bought this fiberglass beauty. Within a month it was hanging under the same cover the trawler had occupied when it was a wet slip. Whiplash maybe? :) I guess I became a "different folk" with a "different stroke" overnight.

Back
Top Bottom