Alternative to Panama Canal (WSJ)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Mexico is building a railroad across the 200 mile isthmus of Tehuantepec as an alternative to the Panama Canal. The Canal is over 1200 nms south so the time and distance savings for a cruising boat wanting to traverse coastal is significant, especially since it cuts off a big chunk of the Caribbean Sea run north from the Canal.

WSJ video - unfortunately behind a paywall. BTW - can often find a WSJ digital subscription for $1/week which, in my opinion, is the best value in journalism.

It's years away but something to keep an eye out for. There is already passenger train service on a very limited basis.

Fingers crossed something works out for boats.....

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240923_152352_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240923_152352_Photos.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 10
I hope it works out, I have no desire to do the Panama Canal, but crossing Mexico via rail if I wanted to go east to west coast Mexico might be more appealing.

Huh, that would be a significant development. Like Canada's Big Chute Railway 200 miles long. I know as they have chronic water level problems in the Panama Canal that could take a lot of the pressure off for container ships and smaller vessels (like recreational). Although when you read this it looks unlikely it'll carry recreational boats: Passenger operations begin on Isthmus of Tehuantepec railway

Back
Top Bottom