Anchor Swivel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Is this type of swivel with a stainless cotter pin trustworthy for long term anchoring?

Attachments

• 20241011_122828.jpg
    20241011_122828.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5
Short answer-no. Most people have gone to a Crosby shackle that has a working/break load equal to their chain. Most swivels, even the fancy stainless ones, are not rated. This should tell you something. It's not just the pull strength, but the side force that needs to be considered. The swivel shown has a built in failure point when it comes to side loading.

Reactions: TJM
When you use the shackle, do NOT forget to wire tie the shackle pin to prevent it from loosening. This is called "seizing". Use Stainless Steel or Monel (nickle) wire only. The Shackle pin goes thru the slot in the shank of the anchor, just in case people did not know this.

Attachments

• 1728670074567.png
    1728670074567.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I saw on a YouTube three links of anchor chain prior to the swivel reduces the concern of side loading on the swivel.

When you use the shackle, do NOT forget to wire tie the shackle pin to prevent it from loosening. This is called "seizing". Use Stainless Steel or Monel (nickle) wire only. The Shackle pin goes thru the slot in the shank of the anchor, just in case people did not know this.
Not true. The Shackle pin goes through the rode/chain link. This allows the shackle to rotate on the shank, so the shackle is not side loaded. People will use two shackles if they can't get the shackle pin through the chain.

I saw on a YouTube three links of anchor chain prior to the swivel reduces the concern of side loading on the swivel.
Heard the same and agree..just don't like having to make it more complicated.... but that's just me.

Not true. The Shackle pin goes through the rode/chain link. This allows the shackle to rotate on the shank, so the shackle is not side loaded. People will use two shackles if they can't get the shackle pin through the chain.
Agree....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom