Auto-nav data sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
I've recently begun experimenting with using the AP for single- and multi-waypoint route navigation. I've previously been too lazy to make routes, and navigation in the Chesapeake isn't exactly difficult... so mostly I've always just used the "go straight" button to maintain a given heading... with some knob tweeks along the way as necessary.

I'm dealing with new and legacy equipment: new Furuno TZT3-16F MFD and FA-70 AIS, old Raymarine SmartPilot (NMEA0183 and SeaTalk only). My easiest connection has been the MFD's single NMEA0183 Output to the AP's NMEA0183 Input. See here, for some discussion about that:

Voila! Works for navigating routes. There's some initial waggling involved when getting on track, and some of the turns at waypoint arrivals have seemed a bit boisterous, but otherwise the system seems solid enough.

Heading info, etc., is all calculated from GPS when we're underway. No electronic compass in the process.

So now my thoughts have wandered toward that whole fluxgate compass thing. The AP has one attached, but there are no feedback comms, currently, from AP back to MFD. The MFD doesn't have a straightforward NMEA0183 Input... but it looks like I could do it easily enough, by attaching Furuno's 0183-->2000 translator (IF-NMEA2K2).

Would that improve anything? If so, enough to make it worth my while?

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom