WiFi Network Config for Weebles (Simple - sorta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You won't be able to influence what channel is being used for the WiFi as WAN. That's determined by the access point the Pepwave is connecting to, not by the client device.

Yep! my mistake!

But when you go into the wan settings that option is there. Thats what took me off guard.

Last edited:
You are correct. Made a mistake when I built the graph. Hate when that happens.

Also correct that I am wireless into my AP (Pepwave). I have a remedial question. I know how to get into my router (IP Address) to change configurations. I would have thought I could use the same control panel to change AP but doesn't seem to work that way. Any guidance?

Peter

I haven't used a Peplink in so-called split wifi mode. That's where one band is used as a wifi station to connect to some other AP for WAN access, and uses the other band is used to great an onboard wifi AP. That's how you are set up in this instance, and I'm afraid I don't know the specifics of how to do it. I have only used my Peplink wifi for WAN access, so both bands operate in Station mode. This is also why I have separate onboard APs that I'm trying to get working optimally. This is mostly driven by begin a bigger boat with the pelpink in a flybridge locker such that as an AP is can't reach the lower level, let along the ER and Laz.

I did a Lan scan and was surprised to see all my ethernet connected devices included when I was expecting just the ones using WIFI

Weebles, I think your download and upload numbers are reversed. With few exceptions, download will always be higher than upload.

When you use the Peplink to connect to the marina 5g, how are you then connected to the Peplink? If via wifi, then you will be using 2.4g between your laptop and peplink, so that can/will become the bottleneck. I expect this is why your peplink using the marina 5g is slower than you using the marina 5g directly - basically you have inserted a 2.4g link in the middle. Unless of course you are hardwired to the Peplink, in which case, Never Mind.

Operator error - AP was set to INTERNAL so I was pinging the Router from my Saloon. Now on EXTERNAL (my one and only AP in Saloon) and performance is improved as expected, especially noticeable in UPLOAD. Not a big boat, but still....

Thanks for the help and comments. Nice to have a bit of a safety net....

Peter

Operator error - AP was set to INTERNAL so I was pinging the Router from my Saloon. Now on EXTERNAL (my one and only AP in Saloon) and performance is improved as expected, especially noticeable in UPLOAD. Not a big boat, but still....

Thanks for the help and comments. Nice to have a bit of a safety net....

Peter

Good to hear that fixed it! Not making the single wifi radio in the BR1 handle both the internal and marina networks makes a big performance difference. When one radio has to do both it has to time-share, so you get slightly higher latency and it cuts the speed pretty much in half. Now that it's properly using the external access point, each wifi radio only has 1 job to do.

I did a Lan scan and was surprised to see all my ethernet connected devices included when I was expecting just the ones using WIFI
LAN and WLAN are tied together into one single broadcast domain. LAN scan broadcast packets are heard by every device; flooded out all (forwarding) ports on your switch(es)/hubs and passed to every wireless device as well.

Early in my career I was told "switch where you can, route where you must". Later it became "route to fix a protocol problem, switch to fix a bandwidth problem". Wireless kinda lives in that switching/bridging world.

Thanks. I should have added that they are on a supposed private network and yet a free app is able to see the IP & mac address of these supposed hidden devices.

Thanks. I should have added that they are on a supposed private network and yet a free app is able to see the IP & mac address of these supposed hidden devices.

Right, because your phone is on the same LAN when the app is running. It’s a really good example of how invasive apps can be, and often are. You might have just told someone the makeup of your entire network.

Define "private network".

Regardless, you're probably doing your discovery while on the inside. Broadcast traffic inside a segment is available to all nodes on that segment. ARP queries, a necessary component within the seven-layer OSI model used for networking, are broadcasts, of the form "who has IP address 1.2.3.4 and what is your MAC?" The response, though unicast, is an essential function to allow things to work. Any device can see what ARP requests are being made, and could choose to issue ARP requests for every IP address in the subnet, thereby discovering the MAC and IP address of every device (or more technically, every NIC) in the subnet.

Back
Top Bottom