Battery box woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try researching plastic ammo boxes. They come with lids. I went down this road last fall and could not find the right fit for me. Ended up buying screw down trays.

While AGMs can't really spill, they can outgas in fault situations. My boat had Lifeline 4D in Blue Seas boxes (a private labeled Noco commercial I think). At some point the Xantrex battery charger went crazy and severely overcharged them (this was with the previous owner so details are unknown). It caused the batteries to outgas which discolored and hardened the wiring insulation and corroded the terminals significantly. The discoloration and corrosion was limited to inside the walls of the box, a good thing since they are right next to the aluminum fuel tanks. For that reason when I redid my batteries last year into a different configuration, I still put in Century boxes, though I believe the ABYC does not require them for compliance. There is noxious stuff in most batteries, even if not in liquid form

This is one of the reasons Steve D says he doesn’t like battery boxes, if I understood him correctly. In the article I linked to above, he says battery boxes can hide bulges, leakage and other signs of imminent failure. Just curious—how would a battery box improve an out-gassing situation? Concentrating that gas anywhere, it would seem to me, would be risking an explosion.

Just curious—how would a battery box improve an out-gassing situation? Concentrating that gas anywhere, it would seem to me, would be risking an explosion.

My custom plywood/FG battery box for house flooded battery's has a 3" vent hose connected, venting gasses to the exterior of the boat. The battery box is under the saloon settee.

This is one of the reasons Steve D says he doesn’t like battery boxes, if I understood him correctly. In the article I linked to above, he says battery boxes can hide bulges, leakage and other signs of imminent failure. Just curious—how would a battery box improve an out-gassing situation? Concentrating that gas anywhere, it would seem to me, would be risking an explosion.

Outgassing of an AGM is mostly hydrogen sulfide I think. It is flammable but also not good for most anything it touches. I can only tell you the result: the 3/0 cables where heavily discolored and hardened, which stopped at a sharp line where the cable exited the box. Metal inside the box was heavily pitted and corroded. Better to contain it in my opinion.

My custom plywood/FG battery box for house flooded battery's has a 3" vent hose connected, venting gasses to the exterior of the boat. The battery box is under the saloon settee.

Sounds nice! I guess the operative word there is “custom.” Haven’t seen many boxes set up that way.

Many people don't seem to like 8Ds very much, and want to swap in 2 x 31 or 2 golf-carts for each 8D. Just wondering, why? Is it just about size & weight?

I have 2 x 8D AGMs for house. It's true, they are a bear to get in and out of their home in the engine room. But really, 31s would not be a picnic either, and then there are all the extra cables, which are extra points of failure, plus concerns about unequal charging.

The position of my batteries seems to be about as bad as it can get, tucked way in the corner of my engine room, and far away from the hatch. I swapped them last year with help from a friend. I just laid a 2x6 across the stringers, then with a couple ropes, we lowered the batteries down into their boxes on top of the 2x6. Slide the box into place, screw down, attach cables. Not fun, but not so bad.

I swapped 8Ds for 31s when I left a permanent marina home slip for my own new pier. No more readily accessible boat people around to help. Never had issues with the 31s getting unequal cherging etc.

Many people don't seem to like 8Ds very much, and want to swap in 2 x 31 or 2 golf-carts for each 8D. Just wondering, why? Is it just about size & weight?.

Size and weight is the main issue but there are more battery choices when you leave the 8D, 4D world.

No bout adout it! LOL

In general... batts can be a costly, time consuming and an outfitting decision PITA!

- House bank is the 4 deep cell 31 LA wet bats - also used as twin engine start batts
- Isolated 27 starter LA wet batt in black box is kept 100% charged - our emergency batt
- Another [not pictured] 27 starter LA wet batt is for 7.5 kW Kohler gen set AC charged and solar panel charged
- Then there's always the [not pictured] 27 starter LA wet batt in our tow behind runabout o/b
- Gray rubber atop house bank is durable and fire proof

Bottom line... we have our batt needs well tended to with redundant batts for fail-safe factors while keeping a simple layout that is affordable... actually relatively-inexpensive. All 7 batts combined cost under $1K.

Attachments

• Batt Bank New 2018 - ....JPG
    Batt Bank New 2018 - ....JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 25
  • TO - Spare Battery 2 amp chg 100_0412.jpg
    TO - Spare Battery 2 amp chg 100_0412.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 23
  • TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 21
Many people don't seem to like 8Ds very much, and want to swap in 2 x 31 or 2 golf-carts for each 8D. Just wondering, why? Is it just about size & weight?

I currently have 3 - 8D AGMs and will remove them but not replace w 8Ds.
- A pair of 6V GCs or GP 31s are close to or higher AHs & CCA/MCA
- A pair of either AGMs above are less $ than 8Ds
- I need to hire it done or organize and host a party to move 8Ds
- In AGMs GC or GP31 more readily available if/ when replacements needed
- Several disadvantages and no advantages IMO
- A few more jumper cables is not a bid deal to me.

Trojan and East Penn both confirmed that in AGMs GCs and GP31s are equally well suited toe deep cycle and start / thruster applications... the FLA preference for GC plate / batty design for deep cycle doesn't carry over to AGMs and is why mfg spec both CCA & AH on their AGMs.

My replacement plan is 4 GP31 AGM for house & 2 GP31s AGM for start / thruster bank.

Hi... I have 2000 Mainship 390.. Went thru the same thing.. Found that, the best solution was to change over to 4-GC-2 Golf Cart Batteries ( same total amp/hr as the old, heavy 8D's), forget the boxes & use 8- Nylon, battery straps, screwed to the plywood tray. Now can get to the individual batteries, & wiring + save your back....Ken

Back
Top Bottom