Bikes for Boats - Jack Rabbit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Looking for a small, lightweight e-bike for exploring/zipping around towns that we boat to. From what I've read, traditional folding bikes are expensive ($2-$3K), heavy (40-ish#), don't fare well in a wet salty environment (chains derailleurs, etc.) and take up lots of space (yes they generally fold in half but then you have a large/wide/bulky/heavy thing to manage).

We test rode a Jack Rabbit which seems like a great solution - $999, weighing just 24#, stores to a very compact 45"x30"x7", has a 10 mile range (spare battery only $200), no pedals so no chain/derailleur, and it's a ton of fun.

Anyone have a Jack Rabbit that they love or hate? Other recommendations welcomed.
Thx -
Jim

If you're looking for something that you can use as a bike (recreationally), then you are in for four figures and needing a significant space to store it. If you just need something to help you get into town and back from the boat with a few groceries or something like that, maybe look at getting a fold-up e-scooter instead. Here's an example: G4 Electric Scooter for Adults

That's 20mph/25 mile range in a form factor much smaller than a bike. You can get them smaller, faster, with longer range too (seen them up to 100 miles), but the price starts going up.

If you're looking for something that you can use as a bike (recreationally), then you are in for four figures and needing a significant space to store it. If you just need something to help you get into town and back from the boat with a few groceries or something like that, maybe look at getting a fold-up e-scooter instead. Here's an example: G4 Electric Scooter for Adults

That's 20mph/25 mile range in a form factor much smaller than a bike. You can get them smaller, faster, with longer range too (seen them up to 100 miles), but the price starts going up.
Thx for the suggestion. The G4 looks like a great scooter but my experience is that the small 10" tires on a scooter (along with the standing position) make it difficult to navigate over pot holes and uneven surfaces (i.e. less stable and less safe). The Jack Rabbit has 20" tires and at 24#, it's >50% lighter than the G4.
Jim

I have a folding Dahon Mariner. My son, who rides a bike to work every day, approved of the Dahon after riding.

Dahon sells a 32 lbs. non-marine model for $399. The Mariner has an aluminum frame, but lots of other components are subject to corrosion.

That being said, I'm going with an e-scooter as they are much easier to fold and store. We've rented scooters in a couple of towns and find them quite convenient.

I would suggest a scooter that has pneumatic tires and a rear suspension at the minimum. Something like a Varla Wasp or equivalent.

Yes, the scooter tires are much smaller in diameter than the folding bikes, but the tire sidewall is much larger on the scooter. You really need to ride both to make a decision. Then try folding each and imagine lowering it into your lazarette or wherever you plan to keep it.

Looking for a small, lightweight e-bike for exploring/zipping around towns that we boat to. From what I've read, traditional folding bikes are expensive ($2-$3K), heavy (40-ish#), don't fare well in a wet salty environment (chains derailleurs, etc.) and take up lots of space (yes they generally fold in half but then you have a large/wide/bulky/heavy thing to manage).

We test rode a Jack Rabbit which seems like a great solution - $999, weighing just 24#, stores to a very compact 45"x30"x7", has a 10 mile range (spare battery only $200), no pedals so no chain/derailleur, and it's a ton of fun.

Anyone have a Jack Rabbit that they love or hate? Other recommendations welcomed.
Thx -
Jim

You might want to check out the conversations on Cruising Forums for bikes. Here is one, Ideal Boat Bike? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums. My take on reading the boat bike conversations over the years, is that the answer depends, and it's like finding the perfect dingy. :)

I don't have one, but I think the ideal ebike for a boat would be the Lectric XP LIte 2.0 JW

It is an ebike, so not as light as a regular folding bike. However, it has a carbon belt drive and no derailer. So it should handle the marine environment better than a chain driven bike. Single speed, but the pedal assist and throttle should handle most of the hills we are faced with since we are always starting out at sea level.

I own a Lectric One ebike and really like the carbon belt drive.

I don't have one, but I think the ideal ebike for a boat would be the Lectric XP LIte 2.0 JW

It is an ebike, so not as light as a regular folding bike. However, it has a carbon belt drive and no derailer. So it should handle the marine environment better than a chain driven bike. Single speed, but the pedal assist and throttle should handle most of the hills we are faced with since we are always starting out at sea level.

I own a Lectric One ebike and really like the carbon belt drive.
Appreciate the recommendation and advice. Just seems like 48# is too much to lug in/out of the lazarette (that's the weight of 2 Jack Rabbits) and the folded size is >50% lager than the Jack Rabbit as well. While the Lectric provides much better range and pedal assist, I'm not sure we really need those features. Again, thx for weighing in.
Jim

Yes, the scooter tires are much smaller in diameter than the folding bikes, but the tire sidewall is much larger on the scooter. You really need to ride both to make a decision. Then try folding each and imagine lowering it into your lazarette or wherever you plan to keep it.
Agree - ride testing a scooter would be worthwhile. I'm just extremely attracted to the Jack Rabbit's small size, lightweight and fun ride.

I recently heard about the Jack Rabbit. Practical Sailor seems to be shifting to video reviews - here's theirs from April and includes the Jack Rabbit halfway through.

Electric Bike Review tested the upgraded model with 500W motor and twin batteries a few months ago.

Interesting approach to a compact eBike.

Peter

Interesting, thanks for posting. And thanks to Peter for posting the Practical Sailor review, too.

I've concluded one of the flaws with our two folding bikes... is the folding part. Yes, they fold. The shape they fold to isn't wonderful. And the hardware that enables folding is often especially prone to rust and corrosion from the git-go. Another is the chain. A third flaw, on one of them, is the derailleur (the internal hub on mine is nifty). But then again, we don't use them for entertainment; mostly only for basic resupply and for when my walking pain problems mount up. And ours both have a very respectable load-carrying capability.

Some thoughts, from the peanut gallery:

It looks like the Jack Rabbit could be a decent e-alternative. The light weight looks good, no more than our current bikes. The fold-flat shape actually looks easier to deal with, compared to ours. No pedals? So attention to battery power becomes critical? Hmmm... OTOH, that also eliminates that pesky chain/derailleur thing...

The optional rack /basket looks wimpy. I can currently carry a boatload of pounds of supplies or beverages or whatever... because our racks are installed at both seat post and rear hub.

And some of the video suggests the wheelbase is seriously shorter than some of the alternatives. In one segment, it looked a little "clown car-like" -- so I wonder what it would take to get used to that.

Looks like one could easily triple the base price by adding some of the optional accessories.

BOE Marine is semi-nearby us, and they come up as one of the Jack Rabbit dealers...

-Chris

That short wheelbase scares me. I could easily see myself going over the bars on hard braking. Maybe it’s better in person.

I recently heard about the Jack Rabbit. Practical Sailor seems to be shifting to video reviews - here's theirs from April and includes the Jack Rabbit halfway through.

Electric Bike Review tested the upgraded model with 500W motor and twin batteries a few months ago.

Interesting approach to a compact eBike.

Peter
Yhx Peter
Interesting, thanks for posting. And thanks to Peter for posting the Practical Sailor review, too.

I've concluded one of the flaws with our two folding bikes... is the folding part. Yes, they fold. The shape they fold to isn't wonderful. And the hardware that enables folding is often especially prone to rust and corrosion from the git-go. Another is the chain. A third flaw, on one of them, is the derailleur (the internal hub on mine is nifty). But then again, we don't use them for entertainment; mostly only for basic resupply and for when my walking pain problems mount up. And ours both have a very respectable load-carrying capability.

It looks like the Jack Rabbit could be a decent e-alternative. The light weight looks good, no more than our current bikes. The fold-flat shape actually looks easier to deal with, compared to ours. No pedals? So attention to battery power becomes critical? Hmmm... OTOH, that also eliminates that pesky chain/derailleur thing...

The optional rack /basket looks wimpy. I can currently carry a boatload of pounds of supplies or beverages or whatever... because our racks are installed at both seat post and rear hub.

And some of the video suggests the wheelbase is seriously shorter than some of the alternatives. In one segment, it looked a little "clown car-like" -- so I wonder what it would take to get used to that.

Looks like one could easily triple the base price by adding some of the optional accessories.

BOE Marine is semi-nearby us, and they come up as one of the Jack Rabbit dealers...

-Chris
Thx for the feedback. We test rode the Jack Rabbit at BOE yesterday - really fun!

The short wheelbase and the desire to keep the riders arse on the right side of the teakettle, may well be driving the choice of the anemic braking system.

-Chris

Chris - your write up mirrors my thoughts. I've had folding bikes and they were not great for the reasons you mention. Plus they didn't hold up well. I also thought that the single speed non-derallieure setup would be decent in a marine environment. Not having pedals is unfortunate, but I would use the bike for 1-2 mile runs in hot weather where walking with a backpack is a sweat-drenched affair.

Will be interested in your feedback if you get a chance to test drive. The OP seems enthusiastic

Peter

I keep my D Mariner in a bike bag on deck, that has greatly extended useful life of the bike. A bit of anti corrosion spray once/twice a season. Has been a simple reliable transport solution with no battery hazard.

The short wheelbase and the desire to keep the riders arse on the right side of the teakettle, may well be driving the choice of the anemic braking system.

I don't see wheelbase listed in the JackRabbit FAQs, but I can guess it's maybe close to 28". That from subtracting 20" (half of the wheel diameters, from each end) from the listed overall length of 48". (Does that sound right?)

I just measured the wheelbase on my Downtube 8H (older frame style, internal hub, chain, with front suspension fork, 31.5 lbs) and got 42".

-Chris

We have folding e-bikes and folding or not, they are too cumbersome and take up too much space on our already cramped decks and cockpit. Heavy too. All that has me thinking about scooters that pack almost flat and easily into the lazarette. "Only" 10 miles of range? That's plenty and probably more than we've ever ranged on the bikes. Potholes are problems, but that sort of riding is for X Games contestants and kids. I ride like I dock; slow.

I have an ‘ Lectric XP, the longer range cousin of the ‘Lectric one discussed above. It sells for about $900 and there is a lighter and cheaper one for $100 less. I think the only difference is the weight and capacity of the battery. Mine has a range of 30-40 miles, folds and weighs about 65 lbs.

That weight is too much to wrestle on and off a dinghy. I would look for a folding e bike that weighs less than 40 lbs. My non electric aluminum frame Dahon Mariner weighed 30ish lbs and was fine getting on and off a dinghy.

David

I have a feeling that something like this would be competitive:

Cheap.

19.5 lbs.

"Kid's" size, with 20" wheels, probably similar to most of the folders (Dahon, Downtube, etc.) with 20" wheels. Assuming handlebars and seat can be raised to an adult height. (? Probably could ask the company about that?)

Looks like a more typical wheelbase, compared with the JackRabbit.

Dual handbrakes, standard.

It doesn't fold, which eliminates all the problems with the (usually rust-prone) hardware necessary for folding. Folding pedals can speak to width issues. Turning the handlebars, ditto. Not being able to fold could impact ease of transport to shore by dinghy, not sure. (Can't remember if I folded mine or not, last time I moved it by dinghy.)

Says durable and rust-fighting. Uh, huh. But at least aluminum frame, alloy wheels, and stainless spokes... and it's cheap.... so it's probably only the other hardware and fasteners that might go first. Boeshield.

Internal hub, so no derailleur to maintain. Only 3 speeds, but then I find I typically mostly use only about 3 of my current 8 available gears...

Gates belt drive. No chain to rust, slip, fall off, etc... (Assuming belts remain attached all by themselves.)

Not electric, of course. Maybe that means Luddite-friendly. :)

Cheap. Oh, I already said that...

-Chris

Last edited:
I know this will sound a bit tawdry, but there are times when the "buy cheap and replace frequently" approach reigns supreme. My neighbor bikes to work daily and used to have very expensive bikes deteriorate in the weather. For the last few years he has just gotten a new department store bike each spring and seems to be happy with the strategy.

I know this will sound a bit tawdry, but there are times when the "buy cheap and replace frequently" approach reigns supreme. My neighbor bikes to work daily and used to have very expensive bikes deteriorate in the weather. For the last few years he has just gotten a new department store bike each spring and seems to be happy with the strategy.

That same company (Priority) also apparently makes a "beach cruiser" bike ("Coast") that's gets high reviews for holding up to weather, including salt air near... uhhh... beaches. Looks full size, but only 26 lbs. Not hugely more expensive, but getting further away from easy boat storage... and from schlepping to shore via dinghy.

-Chris

I have a folding Dahon Mariner. My son, who rides a bike to work every day, approved of the Dahon after riding.

Dahon sells a 32 lbs. non-marine model for $399. The Mariner has an aluminum frame, but lots of other components are subject to corrosion.

That being said, I'm going with an e-scooter as they are much easier to fold and store. We've rented scooters in a couple of towns and find them quite convenient.

I would suggest a scooter that has pneumatic tires and a rear suspension at the minimum. Something like a Varla Wasp or equivalent.
I have 2 Dahon's, I bought a conversion kit from Switch out of the UK. They swap out the front wheel for one with a motor in the hub. Battery on the handle bare, it's great. I get about 25mile range.

I don't yet have a boat, but I bought an Electric Unicycle (EUC) for $750 and taught myself how to ride it. I bought a KingSong 14D, it has a 15 mile range at 15+mph. It weighs 30 pounds and is about the size of a fat laptop. It took me 10 minutes twice a day for 1 month to learn how to ride it. I've had it a 1-1/2 years and I have over 300 miles on it. Look up "how to ride euc in 12 easy steps" I carry it with me in my truck or car and my dog loves to run with me in our neighborhood. There are lots of different models to choose from, with ranges up to 40+ miles and 40+ mph. They can make great little errand runners or commuters. Some are even water proof and can operate after being submerged.

I have a Solo Wheel, one of the first developed before the Chinese started to copy them. It is great for many things, but I would not consider it ideal for running errands or exploring from the boat in unfamiliar areas. A bicycle is a more versatile.

However, you can't beat the portability of the electric uni.

Back
Top Bottom